Search results to follow...

United take the Sunday spoils

FT: FC United of Manchester 3    1 Tamworth

24 September 2017

After the exit from the FA Cup 8 days previously, the 6th placed Lambs made a Sunday trip to Broadhurst Park to take on 21st placed United on their own turf. Tamworth came into the game on the back of five unbeaten league games.
Andy Morrell made three changes to the side that ran out at Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup with Rowley back in goal at Jezeph’s expense, while Curley and Taylor replaced Upton and Powell, the latter taking a place on the bench.

United got the game with The Lambs attacking the large terrace behind Allinson’s goal in the first half.
A foul in the left channel set up Irwin with a dead ball on 5 and he went for goal but gave the freekick too much power and it had to be returned into play by the travelling Lambs fans.
Corbett ended some sustained home pressure on 6 with a driven goalbound shot that Rowley punched over the bar, and from the corner McCarthy’s header just dropped over the bar.
At the other and Knights found Taylor but the ball was nipped off his toes and then Morley struck from distance, forcing Allinson into a determined catch.
Taylor hit a similar ball from a similar distance on 14 but Allinson was perfectly placed again.
United burst forwards though and it was left to Morley to clear off the line when Logan picked his spot through a crowded box after captain Kay had found a gap to thread it through.
And the home side took the lead on 19 when Senior crossed from the right just past the near post and Gilchrist duly headed home unmarked past Rowley. (0-1, 19 mins)
Logan then cut in and curled a shot over the bar from the left corner of the box which brought more noise from the home faithful.
Jones hampered the forward movement of McCarthy through the centre on 24 but escaped a card and Irwin fired the deadball just over Brady’s head at the far post.
United forced a corner on 32 which Irwin and it was glanced past the far post as The Lambs continued to struggle to make openings at the other end. A foul on Deeney on 35 set up Morley with a left footed ball into the box but the flag denied the ensuing play.
A promising move forward on 37 ended when the ball ricocheted back off Deeney and out into the stand.
A trip on Curley then set Knights up with a freekick in the right channel and it caused problems, and made Allinson punch it clear.
It didn’t go out of play though but Verma was unable to force it home from a yard or so out.
One added minute was shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: FC United of Manchester 1    0 Tamworth

Powell replaced Reid before they got the second half got underway and the travelling fans hoped that his presence down the left would bring rewards quickly Powell forced a corner on the left on 49 which Knights floated in but a push by Jones halted play.
Irwin was booked for a poor challenge on Powell as the Lambs pushed forwards and from the freekick Taylor nipped in a prodded the ball home from close range for his first of the season (1-1, 52 mins)
United came at Tamworth from the restart though and Jones was forced to clear over his own bar when McCarthy received the ball in an acre of space.
On the hour Knight’s corner on the left was headed behind past the far post for Morley to try and he got it back and fired it in again, but a foul stopped play.
Gilchrist tried to double his tally with a low shot from the edge of the box on 62 but it was easy for Rowley and the keeper smothered the ball.
At the other end a foul on Powell set up a free kick which pinged around the box before falling to Deeney to strike past the top right corner of the target.
The home side regained the lead on 65 with a bizarre goal that did give Gilchrist his second. He somehow beat the offside flag with what must have been a perfectly timed run and from a very wide position on the right found the far top corner of the target to leave the ground stunned, but the home faithful celebrating (1-2, 65 mins)
There was handbags all round after the referee blew for a head injury on Irwin, and the yellow card was finally shown to Verma, Kay and Taylor.
Brady was then booked for a challenge on Powell in the play that ensued as the home side seemed to be targeting the tricky winger.
Jones was then booked for smothering the ball with his body as United pushed to the edge of the box and Shaw prepared to come on for Knights as Gilchrist struck the post from the freekick.
A deep freekick from Morley was headed behind for a Lambs corner on 78 but it came to nothing.
The Lambs conceded again on 89 when Rowley was adjudged to have tripped Irwin as he took the ball down in the box and the referee awarded a penalty.
Irwin stepped up and slammed it into the top right from the spot for make it 1-3.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Karl Marginson let Gilchrist take the applause with his final change of personnel and the final whistle blew on a Lambs defeat.

Tamworth Team:

Rowley, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones (c.), Lane, Curley, Verma, Reid (Powell HT), Knights (Shaw 76), Taylor
Subs: Ezewele, Pegg, Walters

YC: Verma 70, Taylor 71, Jones 74

FC United of Manchester Team:

Allison, Brady, Wisdom, Kay (c.), Fagbola, Corbett, Senior, Irwin, Gilchrist (Nicholas 90), McCarthy (Kinsella 58), Logan (Lindfield 82)
Subs: Greaves, Baird

YC: Irwin 51, Kay 70, Brady 71

Attendance: 1770

Referee: Mr. A. Herczeg

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures