Search results to follow...

Understrength Lambs toppled by Cards

FT: Woking 5    0 Tamworth

11 February 2006

A depleted Lambs squad travelled to Woking for their Conference league fixture at The Kingfield Stadium, and it would have been impossible to predict the starting eleven after Tuesday night’s game at Dagenham. Injuries to Mark Gayle, Mark Cooper and Michael Touhy, suspensions for Carl Heggs, Dave Bampton and Alan Neilson meant a total change for Mark Cooper’s men – six from the FA Trophy defeat in midweek. Tony Breedon made his debut for Tamworth between the posts after signing from Sutton Coldfield Town and Tris Whitman back from a loan spell at Crawley made a rare starting appearance. Three of the successful youth side took their places on the bench along with Scott Rickards and James Francis.

A Lambs' free kick on the left of the area on 5 minutes allowed Cooper’s men an early set piece chance but Williams’ drive into the area was headed clear although Jackson let fly on a loose ball shortly after but his shot flew high over the cross bar.
Woking then started to take control and played the ball forward more looking for leading goal scorer Justin Richards, but didn’t trouble Breedon. Richards got a flick onto a low ball into the box on 11 minutes, but thankfully for the small band of travelling supporters his effort went wide and Craig McAllister then shot wide following some good build up play.
A last ditch tackle by Scott Stamps denied Richards a shot on goal after great ball into the area by Steve Ferguson for the first corner of the game on 13.
With Richards looking the most dangerous man on the park, Adie Smith almost scored the opening goal of the game - albeit in the wrong net - on 21 with a powerful defensive header which thankfully cleared Breedon’s cross bar.
As at Dagenham, the Lambs worked hard to protect their ‘keeper clearing the danger at every opportunity, ensuring the home side didn’t get the chance of pouncing on a loose ball.
Tamworth won a corner in bizarre circumstances from a drop kick back to the home goalkeeper on 25 when Shwan Jalal failed to control Graham Ward’s pass back from the half way line and although Jalal failed to hold onto the ball in the area a push ruled out any chance of a shock opening goal.
Woking immediately hit back with a corner of their own from Paul Watson - put behind for another flag kick which was cleared, but collecting the ball from the throw on the right Stephen Evans opened the scoring on 28 minutes with an absolute rocket from 25 yards which flew past Breedon.
And it was 2-0 shortly after on the half hour mark with Chris Sharpling following up Craig McAllister’s shot which Breedon did well to block after a break out of midfield started by the goalscorer.

HT: 0-2
A rare Tamworth shot on goal by Danny Davidson
Tamworth escaped a third goal against when Richards squandered a golden chance after the restart firing into the side netting from the right of goal with a free shot after the ball had evaded the Lambs' defence.
And Williams did the same for Tamworth on 52. Danny Davidson made an incisive run into the Woking area and pushed the ball through only for Williams to screw his shot wide.
Peter Folkes conceded a penalty on 60, after Evans had put Ferguson through and was felled by the Lambs number three. Richards made it 3-0 to the home side from the spot, sending Breedon the wrong way.
Sharpling struck well from 18 yards on 64 only to see Breedon tip his dipping effort over the bar and Evans tried the same thing on 67 but the ball went high over the woodwork.
Folkes cleared Evans’ goalbound ball off the line on 70 minutes as The Cards continued to pressurise and search for a fourth.
Matt Redmile picked up a booking on 72 as Richards bore down on goal and Karl Murray tried his luck with a volley on 77 but found his aim off target and could only watch as the ball flew over the crossbar.
Captain Adie Smith then saw his name go in the referee’s notebook after a tackle on Murray and Williams was booked on 80 for booting the ball away after Scott Stamps had been penalised for handball just outside the area. From the free kick Paul Watson curled the ball over the wall and into the far corner to make it 4-0 top the home side.
A demoralising fifth goal came on the stroke of full time from a close range header by Ferguson from Watson’s floated free kick.

FT: 0-5

Davidson, Williams (Lake 81)
Whitman (Francis 75), Smith, Ward (Rickards 64), Jackson
Stamps, Folkes, Redmile, Turner

Subs: Ridgway, Brady

Richards, McAllister (Cockerill 85)
Ferguson, Evans, Murray, Sharpling (Oyedele 85)
Watson, Nethercott (MacDonald 48), Hutchinson, El-Salahi

Subs: Jackson, Davies

Yellow Cards: Redmile 72, Smith 79, Williams 80
Red Cards:

Goals: Evans 28, Sharpling 30, Richards 60 pen, Watson 81, Ferguson 90
Att: 2030

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures