Search results to follow...

Too little too late for Lambs

FT: Hayes & Yeading 2    1 Tamworth

08 January 2011

Looking to build on four out of a possible six points since the start of the New Year, Lambs boss Des Lyttle took his squad to the sun drenched suleague strugglers Hayes and Yeading - two points from the bottom of the table, with Tamworth just six points ahead in 16th place.

Lyttle made one change to the side that drew with Kidderminster with Scott Barrow back in the starting eleven after injury, with Jay Smith ruled out with a hamstring pull and Kyle Perry serving the last of his three match ban while Hayes and Yeading featured ex-Lambs Bradley Pritchard amongst their ranks.

The first half kicked off after captain for the day Marshall elected to kick off away from the road end of the ground, and the pre-match huddle had been suitably completed.
An early ball from the right wing low into the area by Webb was scrambled away by The Lambs defence and Hayes kept up the pressure through Webb and Buchanan.
A flicked pass through almost found Buchanan on 2 but his final touch let him down, then on 3 Pritchard tried his luck from 25 yards but hit his effort very high into the terracing behind the goal.
Another whipped in ball from the left wing by Green squeezed through and went out for a goal kick past the far post a minute later as Tamworth were forced to camp in their own half and when Tait did get the ball forward Yussuf was adjudged to have fouled his marker, handing possession back to the home side.
A flowing move from The Lambs set Thomas free on the left of the box on 7 but he found Harrison in his way and his shot was pushed out for a corner on the left.
Thomas chipped the ball to Mitchell but despite the best efforts no one could force his flick on past the defenders and over the line before the home side broke quickly and a good run into the area by Wright was denied by Atkins.
A cross come shot by Green was deflected behind for a corner to United on 11 but Bygrave couldn't keep his header down at the far post.
Holmes tried to feed Pritchard with a pin point through ball from the right on 14 but Atkins was quickest to it and gathered at his feet and as Tamworth moved forward, a foul on Thomas gave Barrow the dead ball just inside the Hayes half on the left but the home side cleared and regained possession and they seemed the more comfortable on the pitch forcing Tamworth to play quick balls to alleviate the pressure.
On 20 a foul by Wright on Tait went unpunished as the Lambs player required treatment on the pitch and the referee called over captain Holmes to calm his teammate. With Tait off the field, play restarted but after a minute he re-entered play with Hayes on the attack which came to nothing.
On 23 Green swept the ball in from the left for Wright to finish from 6 yards with a deft touch, but the offside flag denied the ‘goal'.
A foul on the half way line on Yussuf by Wassmer on 27 earned the Hayes player a yellow card then on 29 Webb slid the ball into the box for Pritchard to try a first time shot which cleared the bar by just a few feet.
At the other end, on 33 Wilkinson saw his shot charged down and when the ball ran free to Barrow, he dragged his left sided left foot shot wide of the right hand upright.
On 37 a good pass from Hand to  Green saw the latter fire a dangerous ball into the area from the left but there was no one anticipating the chance and when Tamworth failed to deal with a throw in on the other side, Buchanan picked his spot easily from 18 yards out with a rising curler into the left corner of the net (0-1, 39 mins)
As the fourth official indicated just one additional minute at the end of the half, Yussuf made space past his covering defender and tried to feed the ball through, but it was too strong for Rodman and Harrison gathered easily before the whistle blew.

HT: Hayes & Yeading 1    0 Tamworth

With the sun now out of sight and the floodlights on the temperature dropped considerably as Tamworth made a change - Lake-Gaskin replacing Rodman - and Hayes kicked off the second half.
A defensive header by Marshall ballooned high over his own bar for a Hayes corner on 48 which The Lambs cleared, but the home side worked hard to halt the progress forwards.
United pushed forward then and Wright fired across the face of goal after Bygrave had seen his opportunity for shots cut out.
Then, on 53, Wright turned two defenders in the right of the penalty area and found Atkins in good form to block his goal bound shot with a fine save allowing the ball to be cleared from danger.
A Thomas freekick on the right was punched away by Harrison on 55 and then a corner was won but Hayes cleared their lines quickly.
Then on 58 it was 2-0 with Green getting the better of Tait and lifting the ball into the near post area from the left of the box allowing Buchanan to apply the deftest of touches to take it past Atkins and double his tally and his side's lead. (2-0, 58 mins)
The Lambs then enjoyed perhaps their best spell of the game, keeping the ball in their opponents half and applying some much needed pressure but nothing resulted from it and a freekick was given away, allowing the home side to regroup.
Tamworth pushed on once again and Bradley's centre from the left looking for Yussuf was too strong on 64 as MacKenzie came on for Wilkinson.
A Thomas corner on 67b was halted for a foul as the ball bobbled around the box, although Tait will be pleased with his chipped finish which ultimately counted for nothing.
On 69 Bradley hit the left hand upright with a 25 yard shot which took a slight deflection, and the follow up by Yussuf was off target, although it did come back unexpectedly to the striker who had to act quickly.
Another corner was won on 71 as Hayes played with 10 men due to injury to Webb but it came to nothing.
A minute after he was replaced Wright found the side netting with a left footed shot from the left of the area and as the game entered the final 15 it looked to be a tough ask for The Lambs to get anything from the game.
Sheridan fed Mackenzie to strike at goal from the edge of the area on 79 but Harrison got a touch and it rolled away from goal while at the other end on 81 Wright turned and volleyed a shot over the left corner of bar and post.
Tamworth won another corner on 82 with a deflected shot from the left and Thomas saw his near post ball headed behind by Holmes for another. His second flag kick was deeper but headed then booted away as eight Lambs players occupied the final third of the pitch.
A Tait cross from the right was put behind for another corner on 85 and back in open play Mitchell saw his shot blocked just inside the area.
Yussuf took the ball into the box and Pritchard was unable to keep it from going out but Harrison collected the corner at height.
A foul on Lake-Gaskin set up MacKenzie on 88 to strike from 30 yards, but he curled his shot around the wall and wide of the near post.
Within less than a minute of coming on the pitch Appiah was booked for a late challenge on Marshall and three minutes added time was shown.
Yussuf had a shot well saved but the ball came out to Marshall and his effort deflected over the keeper to reduce the arrears (1-2, 90 mins) and Tamworth kept on pushing for an unlikely equaliser.
Marshall headed into the keepers arms on 92 but it was too little too late as Hayes played out to the whistle to take the win.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Mitchell, Rodman (Lake-Gaskin HT), Thomas, Sheridan, Bradley, Barrow, Wilkinson (MacKenzie 65), Yussuf
Subs: Wylde, Connor, Bojang

Hayes & Yeading Team:

Harrison, Green, Cadmore, Bygrave, Holmes (Appiah 89), Wright, Buchanan, Hand, Pritchard, Wassmer, Webb (Ferrell 74)
Subs: Yiadom, Preddie, Hyde

Yellow Cards: Wassmer 27, Appiah 90

Attendance: 249

Referee: Mr. R. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures