Search results to follow...

Single strike sinks Lambs

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Crawley Town

05 December 2009

After the midweek point at Kidderminster, Gary Mills made no changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Aggborough. Positioned in 13th, The Lambs welcomed 14th placed Crawley Town who selected 16 year old youth team striker Ben King in a late change on the bench.

Tamworth got proceedings underway towards the Castle End and on 3 Russell saw his shot blocked on  the edge of the area but Tait got a right wing cross in which was deflected back to Rayner in the home goal under pressure from Brown.
Pritchard unleashed a right footed shot from the left of the area on 5 which took a took from Rayner for a corner but the flag kick came to nothing as the visitors cleared easily.
The ball ping ponged around the midfield with neither side able to get a grip of the game although when the ball was on the deck, Tamworth showed some good touches and when Crawley moved forward the Lambs defence worked hard to clear the danger as required.
And the visitors took the lead on 14 through Killeen who finished from close range after Ademeno's ball into the far post was initially saved by Alcock but ran free and he put the ball back across the face of goal. None of the Lambs defence could clear and Killeen fired home (0-1, 14 mins)
Wilson stole in at the far post from an offside freekick inside the Crawley half but was denied by Sheridan  who conceded a corner  in the process which came to nothing.
The pace of the game didn't let up and neither did The Lambs attempts to get back into it but the final ball or shot was lacking or cut out on more than a few occasions.
A corner was forthcoming on 24 which Pritchard took but Rayner leaped highest to collect and from his kick Ademeno turned on the edge of the area and forced a good stop from Alcock.
Langdon conceded a freekick on the right of the area on 26 bringing down Cogan but play was stopped from the restart after a push on Wylde in the area.
Alcock's long kick was handled by Wilson just outside the area in the next move as he tussled with Wright for the bouncing ball and MacKenzie lined up a freekick from 20 yards which he curled around the wall and brought a fine save from Rayner , at full stretch to his left.
Pritchard's cross from the left was put behind for a corner on the same side but Rayner caught the chance and booted long for Ademeno to chase. He got the ball under control but took it a foot over the line before hitting a hopeful shot on the angle at Alcock.
Wright received a fortuitous rebound off MacKenzie and a defender on 31 but was caught in two minds and put the ball into no mans land before Adameno challenged Smith for the ball as it broke into Alcock's area at the other end and ended up needing treatment for cramp after a well timed challenge from the Lambs defender.
Alcock caught the ball cleanly on the edge of his box on 34 and when Killeen clattered into him the Crawley man also needed a visit from the Town physio before play could resume with a drop ball.
Ben Smith hit a left footed shot into the far side netting from Ademeno's cross from the right wing cross on 36 and Crawley made their first sub on 40 with Ademeno having to be replaced in a straight swap with Willock.
A hefty charge on MacKenzie laid him out on the ground on 42 but play continued and Smith picked up a booking for a challenge on Malcolm which set the same player up but he hit the freekick high and wide of the mark from 35 yards.
Two minutes added time were shown as Sheridan was felled on the left wing but from the freekick Wilson headed away the danger as the half time whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Crawley Town

Crawley got the second half underway and kept possession for a couple of minutes in which Ben Smith nodded a header into the area which Chris Smith cleared, and the second Lambs sub of the game came on 48 with Wright going off for Lake-Gaskin after Langdon had been replaced by Briscoe at half time.
Light rain covered the ground as Briscoe headed a cross from Smith out the box while at the other end,
Sheridan hit a half volley into the area on 52 but it went out of play past the post before anyone could react and on 54 Brown fell in the area under pressure from a Crawley defender but the kick was given the other way.
Brown found space and time to hit a low effort just wide of the left hand upright from 25 yards on 57 as The Lambs enjoyed a spell of pressure but were unable to forge a clear path towards goal.
Brown made space down the right looking for Pritchard and he met the ball but put it wide of the mark on 63 and they kept pushing forward until a foul on Brown allowed MacKenzie to put the ball into the area and when Brown crossed Malcolm headed it behind for a corner on the left which Smith got a toe onto in the centre of the area but only managed to lift it back to Rayner.
The light rain turned heavier as Ulker prepared to take to the field and Cralwey enjoyed a spell of possession.
Wylde made a run into the final third but lost out to Rusk on 70 and in the same move Mackenzie cut the ball back for Pritchard who saw his shot deflect wide and out for a corner which the latter headed wide of the far post.
Russell was dragged back for a Lambs freekick 35 yards out on 74 which Pritchard curled harmlessly into the arms of Rayner whil on 77 Rusk fell under a weak challenge from Smith which didn't fool referee Mr Halliday one bit.
Tamworth won a corner on 79 and it was headed straight behind for another which was played short but cleared and the move broke down.
MOM - RussellThen on 81 Lake-Gaskin crossed long for Sheridan at the far post but he headed into the floor rather than at goal and Rayner was untroubled.
Ben Smith hit a right footed effort low at Alcock on 85 which brought an easy save from the Lambs keeper and Tamworth pushed forward. Brown headed into the keepers arms on 87 and a foul on Pritchard gave The Lambs a freekick as four minutes added time were shown.
Briscoe headed wide of the mark from Brown's right wing dead ball which also saw Alcock in the opposition's penalty area.
Cogan won a corner after his run and shot were cut short with less than a minute to play and the visitors kept the ball by the flag rather than take a risk although a freekick was conceded by Crawley which Tait launched into the box and Alcock rose but missed his header and Pritchard's right footed shot flew high over the crossbar from the right of the area as the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Smith C., Wylde, MacKenzie (Ulker 71), Wright (Lake-Gaskin 48), Pritchard, Sheridan, Langdon (Briscoe HT), Russell, Brown
Subs: Shaw, Christie

Crawley Town Team:

Rayner, Rusk, Rents, Ademeno (Willock  40 for King 90), Pinault, Killeen, Malcolm, Wilson, Cogan, Quinn, Smith B.
Subs: Lokando, Carter, Jordan

Attendance: 729

Man of the Match: Chosen by Pheonix Tavinor: Simon Russell

Referee: Mr. A. I. Halliday

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures