Search results to follow...

Replay required

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Chorley

11 January 2014

Following the midweek re-signings of Nick Chadwick and Jordan Keane, Dale Belford was able to select the same starting eleven that had recorded the 2-0 victory over Halifax at The Lamb the previous Saturday.
Chorley, under manager Garry Flitcroft, arrived at The Lamb in fine promotion form, having lost just three games all season and just one in the last 23 as they sat in 2nd place in the EvoStick Premier just a point behind Skelmersdale with three games in hand.
The visitors got the game underway with Tamworth attacking the Meadow Street end.
Baker tried his luck in the first move upfield but shot well wide of the mark.
The early pressure continued and Todd made a good run down the right cutting back for Baker, but the ball bobbled at his feet and he was unable to get a shot away.
Kerry forced a corner on the left on 8 which Evans struck into the box left footed but it was headed away at the near post and cleared.
Mahon brought down Witham inside the centre circle on 10 after Baker had sold the Lambs defender short by a yard and although no card was given, the Mapgipes kept the ball forwards from Mather's dead ball and captain Teague nearly opened the scoring on 11, his shot cannoning back off the right hand post and away.
At the other end, Baker played a neat one-two with Todd but scuffed his shot from the right of the box and gave the travelling faithful a let off too.
After a strong run into the left of the rea by Peniket on 17, Kerry received the ball by the touch line and was tripped allowing Evans to fire a freekick into the box and it was booted away.
Another Evans freekick from a similar position was cleared by the visiting defence.


HT: Tamworth 0    0 Chorley

Kerry and Mahon restarted the game at 16:05 but Belford had an early touch as Chorley battled for the ball and pushed up field in the opening exchanges.
Then, on 52 Mather did what his team had been threatening, latching onto a ball from midfield by Dean and advancing into the area before powering a right footed shot into the bottom right of the goal from the left of the box (0-1, 52 mins)
Baker picked up a booking on 54 for a late challenge on Teague just outside the Chorley area
Kerry was tipped as he tried to get a shot away and Chadwick equalised, firing home via the underside of the bar (1-1, 59 mins). Todd picked up a booking for a tussle in the area before the spot kick and Roscoe was booked on 62, bringing Kerry down on the right wing before Capaldi's freekick was cleared.
Mather was replaced after pulling up and Mahon was booked on 66 for kicking the ball away.
Dean hit a right footed effort in full stride from the right of the area on 69 and from the resulting corner The Lambs were forced to defend strongly.
Dean flicked the ball and struck from a similar position on 72 but Belford twice smothered the shot before Haworth came on for Peniket.
At the other end, Dean connected with a right wing cross on 76 but it skimmed his head and went out for a goalkick and Whitham burst forward on 78 but his ball across the box was just too much for Dean to connect with.
Todd made a strong run and drew Ashton out of his area on 78 but the resulting ball into the area was headed away from Chadwick.
Mahon's header as pushed away from the bottom corner by Ashton on 81 and Todd followed up at the far post but put his effort high.
Chorley substitute Stephenson broke free on 83 and should have squared for Hine who was in acres of space in the box but decided to go it alone and shot wildly off target.
Five minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and after Todd's shot was chested away, Haworth's took a deflection for a right sided corner which caused some problems and The Lambs kept the ball in the final third, with Richards forcing another flag kick on the right.
Haworth's shot appeared to have sneaked through a crowded box for Richards but the offside flag prevented a shot from 6 yards.
A foul on the Chorley did not allow the visitors to get close to Belford's goal as the final whistle blew and a replay was required.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Kerry, Baker, Peniket (Haworth 76), Capaldi, Todd, Thomas, Chadwick, Mahon, Keane
Subs: Richards-Everton, Richards, Woolery, Morgan

Chorley Team:

Ashton, Ross, Mather (Stephenson 62), Teague, O'Brien, Cottrill, Hine, Whitham, Dean, Roscoe, Jarvis
Subs: Walmsley, Vermiglio, Wiles, Grundy (GK)

Attendance: 1209

Man of the Match: Lloyd Kerry

Referee: Mr. C. Kavanagh

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures