Search results to follow...

Order is restored in Cheshire as Wright nets a hat-trick

FT: Vauxhall Motors 1    3 Tamworth

12 February 2008

The Lambs made their first ever visit to Rivacre Park out to show that the disastrous 26 minutes at the weekend were just bizarre one off and hoped to leave the home of Vauxhall Motors with three much needed points.

With Gareth Evans returning to Wrxham, Gary Mills welcomed back Craig McAughtrie into the back four and although Evans’ team mate Jamie Reed had had his loan extended Nick Wright took his place after Saturday’s defeat at Workington.

An early chance fell to Wright as he burst down the right wing, but he was foiled by the home defence. Colin Marrison had a weak appeal for a penalty waved away by the referee on 9 and McAughtrie tried his luck on 11 with a free kick which went over the bar.
Dave Bampton, making his 100th appearance, struck the far post with a flicked header from Des Lyttle’s cross on 13
Gareth Sheldon powered a header from a deep cross on the right over the bar from 10 yards a minute later, but there was consternation from the Vauxhall players who were playing with a man short as Alan Griffiths lay on the floor needing treatment as Tamworth, quite correctly carried on playing.
A great run and ball across the box by Wright on 16 was missed agonizingly by inches three separate Lambs players as they ran into box
the home side’s first shot of the game then came via Tom Field who struck a left footed shot curling out of play.
Jonti Richter then blasted a volley high over the target on 20 and while Tamworth looked to be on top of the game a quick realignment of their sights was needed before the next shot at target.
Dominic Langdon saw a near post header cleared off the line as it dropped towards the far corner on 26 before a foul on Mark Reed allowed Motors freekick 30 yards straight at goal which Alex Cisak gathered easily.
Wright crossed from the right on 31 for Richter to spin and unleash a devilish volley at Lloyd Rigby but the home ‘keeper was equal to his effort and tipped it over the bar for a corner which Sheldon struck and eventually Wright put the ball home from close range when the defence failed to clear. (1-0)
A brief respite in play allowed Mills the chance to offer captain Martin Foster some tactical advice on a one to one basis as the midfielder collected a drink at the touchline and it seem to have had the desired effect as Tamworth continued to press theis hosts back into their own half but found the home defence decidedly more capable than their attacking teammates..
Richter did all the hard work by cutting in from the right wing past two Vauxhall players and into the box on 40, but flashed his low shot wide of the far upright much to his obvious disappointment
Cisak made a telling save form Paul Taylor on 42 in a rare moment when the Lambs back four were beaten and the side responded moving quickly to the other end where Wright saw a low shot put out for a corner which came to nothing.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the first period as Tamworth deservedly went in at the break a goal to the good.

HT: 1-0

32 seconds into the second half an it was 2-0 to The Lambs Langdon crossed low from the left for Wright to slot home in the centre of the area with the ‘keeper wrong footed.
A late challenge on the far side of the field by Ashley Williams on 48 saw Sheldon needing the magic sponge but no card was shown to the Motors midfielder.
Michael Briscoe had to concede a corner on 51 as the ball bounced high towards goal and Vauxhall exerted some pressure of their own but failed to deliver an end product so Tamworth raced to the other end and Wright, looking for his hattrick lifted the ball over the keeper but also over the far corner.
Richter lost the ball in midfield and allowed the home team a spell of possession on 57 and even Wright was tracking back to put in a telling tackle and on 64 a well placed cross was overhead kicked out of play by Mark Reed.
The Lambs pressure of the first half was not as evident in the second but their chance came and they took it on 68 when Wright netted his third of the evening from Sheridan’s freekick despite a final glancing touch from Colin Marrison’s thigh to make it 3-0 – although Marrison got the final touch, the scorer was later confirmed by the players.
A penalty was awarded to Motors on 70 when McAughtrie was adjudged to have tripped Peter Heler and Field stroked home the resultant spot kick to reduce the arrears. (3-1)
Wright was continuing his excellent game and caused more problems on 75 only for the Rivacre Park defence to clear his low cross into the box
With just over 10 to go Mills took off his two front men and gave Reed a run out as a lone striker with Chris Nurse slotting into a five man midfield and the frontman almost added to the tally with a right footed effort which, had it had a bit more curl, could have gone in at the far corner on 82.
The game was played out and an unknown period of added time came and went (!) and with it a victory for the Lambs which was applauded roundly by the small band of travelling support.

Vauxhall Motors:
Rigby, Owens (Hitchen 54), Dames, Field, Robinson, Williams A., Heler, Griffiths (Holmes 84), Reed M, Smith K, Taylor
Subs: Murphy, Roberts (4 only)

Cisak, Lyttle, Landgon, Briscoe, McAughtrie, Bampton, Richter (Sheridan 66), Foster, Marrison (Nurse 78), Wright (Reed 78), Sheldon
Subs: Williams M, Smith

Referee: Mr S. A Oldham

Att: 214

Yellow Cards: Hitchen 55

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures