Search results to follow...

One in each half condemns Lambs

FT: Mansfield Town 2    0 Tamworth

04 September 2012

The Lambs travelled to Field Mill home of The Stags of Mansfield, via a training session at Heather St. Johns, for their next league fixture hoping to put an end to the two game run of defeats. Marcus Law was able to select MK loanee George Baldock for the fixture and made three changes to the side that fell by the odd goal in three at Braintree at the weekend.

Paul Cox's Town side, one point behind Tamworth, came into the game having won three and lost three of their opening six encounters, but, unlike the Lambs, reporting a virtually fully fit squad to choose from for the tie. And on the bench, a former Lambs favourite Nick Wright took a place.

The home side got the match underway on what looked to be a very good playing surface (from a distance!), with Tamworth kicking away from the ‘Stags' stand for the first half.
And inside the first minute Breeden had to leave his area to clear a long ball down the centre looking for the run of Green and then the keeper had to punch a long throw.
The ball made it's way up field and Sutton let in Jeffers in the right of the box following a poor backpass but Marrioot was quick out to prevent the deft chip going goalward.
Green was caught offside with The Lambs defence static on 5 but play quickly switched and Collins was felled as he tried to advance into the box down the right channel but Barrow curled his freekick over the corner of bar and post.
A couple of niggly freekicks went The Lambs way around the 10 minute mark as both sides worked hard to pass the ball around but found it difficult to get into the final third of the field.
Briscoe made a strong run to the right wing on 13 but his low ball into the box was straight at Breeden and on 15 Howell's cross from the left had to be headed behind by Marshall, diving full length to get the ball away. From the corner Howell's shot was blocked but he remained persistent and made the Lambs defence work to clear the danger.
Kerry was penalised for a tackle on Meikle on the left of the box on 18 with a yellow card but Murray's deadball left a lot to be desired and flew high and wide past the far post by some distance.
When Green chased down Breeden for the ball on 23 the keeper was left clutching his ankle and the Mansfield player duly received a booking for his efforts, much to the annoyance of the travelling faithful who were politely requesting a red card! Breeden received his treatment and continued play, but the ball wound its way back to his opposite number.
Mansfield then enjoyed a spell of possession and on 27 Green got forward for a header from a chip into the box which Breeden took easily.
Marshall released Jeffers down the right on 29 and he put the ball into the box only to see Marriott clear with his legs, but Kerry received the ball and tried to curl a shot over the keeper but cleared the target by a few feet as well.
On 35 there were calls for Green to be offside but no flag came and The Lambs were forced to put the ball behind for a corner on the right which Collins slid to clear. The ball worked it's way back in from the right and Meikle lashed a shot in to the ‘away end' from 18 yards out and Cunnington took a knock in the process.
A low ball through from midfield allowed Rhead a shot across the box from the right on 42 but it went a yard wide of the left hand post and Breeden was happy to watch it out of play.
Murray was booked for punching the ball away before a Lambs freekick on 44 which Kerry floated into the box and Courtney headed behind, but the referee awarded a corner on the left to the bemusement of the home fans as the towering frame of Geohagan headed the danger clear to the half way line.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the half and a penalty was awarded against a clumsy intervention and Tait was also booked when Rhead and Green combined to get into the box allowing Green to step up to the spot. He blasted his kick into the bottom left corner to give the home side the lead.
From the restart, Murray was left requiring treatment following a clash with Cunnington inside the Stags half and the half time whistle blew shortly after. (0-1, 45 mins)

HT: Mansfield Town 1    0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted the game with the and Breeden got an early touch when the ball was forced down field.
Baldock provided some trickery on the right of the box on 48 but his ball was too high for Jeffers at thee far post and Mansfield broke and Rhead skied his shot, under pressure from Courtney.
A quickly taken freekick from Kerry sent Cunnington on a run into the box and a corner was won on the right on 50, and the chance went quickly, but Jeffers won possession back and forced Marriott into a save at his near post.
Marshall then headed a Murray cross from the left away to the far side which Geohagan launched into the box and Rhead headed wide of the near post from 12 yards.
It was all hands to the pumps from a Mansfield attack on 57 which resulted in a corner on the right as The Lambs were forced to throw everything in the way, although they broke quickly and Baldock's cross box ball invited a finishing touch but no one was able to get close enough to divert it past Marriott.
The pictch side towel came into use again on 61 when Geohagan unleashed another long throw and although it was half cleared, The Lambs conceded again, this time via a close range header from Jones when the ball came back in (0-2, 63 mins)
Marcus Law made a change before his side kicked off again and The Lambs continued to try and forge a chance. On 66 Barrow retook a left sided freekick after the referee separated a tussle in the area but it came to nothing when the offside flag rose.
Another throw from Geohagan from the right wing skidded through the box on 67 for a corner on the left which was halted when the referee spotted a push.
on 70, Briscoe beat Barrow but his ball in was put behind for another right sided corner which was halted again for a push in the build up and the Lambs made their second change with Llado coming on and he immediately tried but failed to take on Geohagan who towered over the Spaniard!
The announcement of the attendance sparked the 122 Lambs into song hopeful that the final 15 or so minutes would see their side get something from the tie.
Everyone knew what was coming when Geohagan picked up the throw midway into thee Lambs half on 77 as the seat/ drums pounded a rhythm but Courtney was first to it and Tamworth were able to push up field and Cunnington won a corner on the right.
Marriott's goal had not really been tested too much and so The Lambs tried a long range effort on 80 which he took easily.
A corner was forthcoming from a Jeffers cross from the right on 84 which Barrow drilled in but Gudger's pass went awry and the chance was gone.
Baldock then picked up a booking for unsporting conduct, throwing the ball away before Geohagan could take his throw and it won the home side a left sided flag kick which Murray saw bounce out of the area for Baldock to push upfield but it ran out of play and Marriot was able to restart with a goal kick.
It was not turning out to be a great night for final balls into the box for The Lambs and another good position came to nothing as Girvan came on for his debut with just a couple of minutes remaining.
And as if to sum up the evening when Jeffers shot was parried away to Barrow on 90, the Welshman dragged the ball wide of the far post with a left footed low drive.
Three minutes added time was shown and a couple of changes were made but the home side as time ran down and out for The Lambs.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c), George BALDOCK (Michael GIRVAN 88), Tom MARSHALL (Jorden IVEY-WARD 63), Adam CUNNINGTON, Lloyd KERRY, Shaun JEFFERS, Connor GUDGER, Duane COURTNEY, Scott BARROW, Charlie COLLINS (Jan LLADO 71)
Subs: James WREN, Scott MEER

Mansfield Town Team:

Alan MARRIOTT, Ritchie SUTTON, Luke JONES, Lindon MEIKLE (Chris CLEMENTS 90), Matt GREEN, Louis BRISCOE (Gary ROBERTS 85), Anthony HOWELL, Matt RHEAD (Jake SPEIGHT 90), Adam MURRAY (c), Colin DANIEL, Exodus GEOHAGAN

Attendance: 2105

Referee: Mr. S. Stockbridge

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures