Search results to follow...

Late Rodman penalty nets the points

FT: Hyde FC 1    2 Tamworth

24 January 2009Bouyed by the news of the appointment of three new directors in Martin Newbold, John (Jonty) Holcroft and Steve Greaves following a TFC board meeting on Thursday night and also by the return of Dominic Langdon to the starting eleven, Gary Mills’ Tamworth side travelled to Ewen Fields, Hyde for their next league fixture looking to stay top of the table at 5pm.

Hyde, third from bottom in the league, were rocked when first choice goalkeeper Craig Dootson broke down in pre-match training and was replaced half an hour before kick off by reserve Elliot Bernstien who had started just two first team games all season conceding seven goals in the process.

After a minutes silence in memory of Jim Thompson, founding Chairman of the Alliance League, the game kicked off with Hyde kicking towards the low sun behind the stand.
Five minutes gone and no chances for either side, in fact pretty much a stalemate.
A foul on Shaw gave The Lambs a freekick in the middle of the Hyde half on 6 but it went straight out for a corner.
An injury to Fizthenry brought the game to a halt on 9 and a foul on Langdon shortly after give Tamworth a chance to break. They did so through Rodman who pushed it wide left to Birley and his shot was deflected wide for a corner. Nothing came from the dead ball but Tamworth were slowly starting to push forward.
Clee picked up a card for a challenge on Rodman, helping out in a right back position, on 16 and Shaw got one too for a similar tackle on Oakes a minute later.
A trip on Langdon as he tried to push down the left wing brought a freekick for Shaw to fire into the danger area on 22 and Smith put a ‘defenders header’ wide of the mark from 8 yards with the keeper beaten.
On 24 Smith brought down Simm with an outstretch leg as he and Douglas-Pringle exchanged passes in the area and the former dispatched the spot kick to open the scoring (0-1, 24 mins)
Tamworth won a corner on 28 which Shaw but nothing came of it allowing Bernstein to let his side regroup before his goalkick started proceedings again.
With little to report it came as a bit of a surprise when on 40, Birley notched his first goal for The Lambs after Wylde’s header came back off the bar and Rodman’s follow up deflected nicely for the midfielder to rifle home. (1-1, 40 mins)
Smith was denied a penalty claim when a defender appeared to pull him back going for a high ball in the box but none was given and the honours were even at the break.

HT: Hyde FC 1    1 Tamworth

The second half kicked off with Tamworth facing the sun in the final third and Rodman won a corner with a low deflected shot but nothing came of it.
Play was end to end and the home side flashed a couple of dangerous balls into the area while The Lambs also pushed on but found getting through the Hyde defence tricky to say the least.
On 57 Alcock rushed out of his area to try and clear the danger of a bouncing ball and clashed with Simm – thankfully for The Lambs he only received a booking and the home faithful expressed their dismay.
Sheldon stepped up to hit a freekick from the left of the area on the hour which Bernstein parried out for a corner. Wylde met it with his head but was unable to direct toward goal as the sun dropped below the houses and the floodlights came on.
Hyde then won a flag kick which Tamworth cleared only as far as Lynch, but the home defender could only put his long range effort onto the roof of the stand behind the goal.
A foul by Manship, on Rodman as he ran through from midfield, earned him a talking to on 68 and Shaw floated the freekick onto the head of Rodman who nodded the ball on to Pritchard but, leaning back and stretching, he put his close range header over the bar.
Clee unleashed a driven effort which rose over the bar from the left of the area on 73 while at the other end Bernstein lived dangerously after parrying Smith’s header and Pritchard fired in the rebound only to see it juggle off the covering defender on the line and into his arms.
Munroe became the fourth player in the book for a challenge on the half way line on 75 and Sheridan became the first sub of the game on 77 coming on for Sheldon.
Birley forced a superb save from Bernstein on 78 after Rodman’s through all saw him run on to the chance in the area and from the corner Rodman trapped the ball with his back to goal and pushed the ball short to Sheridan but he could only fire over the bar from 10 yards out.
Reid replaced Birley with five to go and almost immediately latched onto a long ball into the area but was beaten easily to it by the covering defender who gave The Lambs a corner.
The ball came in from the right and Pritchard headed goalward only for Munroe to bring down Smith as he went for the ball. Rodman stepped up to give Tamworth the lead for the first time in the game from the spot with 3 minutes to go to give Tamworth all three points. (2-1, 87 mins)

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Lyttle, Langdon, Smith, Wylde, Foster, Birley (Reid 85), Shaw, Sheldon (Sheridan 77), Rodman, Pritchard
Subs: Morrison, McAughtrie, Burgess

Hyde FC Team:
Bernstein, Lynch, Oakes, Rick (Iganoza 88), Kilbane, Fitzhenry, Munroe, Manship, Douglas-Pringle, Simm, Clee
Subs: Innes, Bernstein, Cooke, Howarth

Attendance: 541

Referee: Mr. B. Toner (Darwen)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures