Search results to follow...

Lambs win at home again

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Stevenage Borough

02 September 2006

Lambs boss Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that suffered a one nil reversal at St Albans on Bank Holiday Monday. In came new signing Graham Deakin and Alan Nielson made a start for Graham Ward and Graeme Law respectively.

Stevenage came out of the blocks a little quicker than The Lambs and livewire George Boyd flashed a long range effort over and round Sean Bowles goal with just 3 minutes gone.
Boro won their first corner on 6 minutes which Bradley Thomas headed away for a flag kick on the other side and Santos Gaia met the ball well with his head but was well wide of the mark.
The swirling wind did little to help either side but Thomas tried his luck from 25 yards on 15 but flashed his effort off target as The Lambs tried to take a hold on the game.
The visitors showed some skill in the middle of the park but lacked the cutting edge in the final third resorting to long range efforts – George Boyd attempted a 35 yard lob on 23 which flew harmlessly over.
Simon Weaver found Taiwo Atieno on the edge of the area with a long pass from midfield on 29 and the Lambs striker made some space for himself to shoot but the visiting defence got back to block his effort.

Then on 32 the Lambs took the lead. John McGrath’s initial driven shot was pushed onto the bar by keeper Alan Julian and the rebound fell to Atieno who played the ball across the box and Stevenage defender John Nutter sliced his clearance into his own net. (1-0)
Stevenage looked to get back into the game quickly and won a free kick on the edge of the Lambs area which Steve Guppy struck well but it took a deflection and Boro won a corner. Guppy stepped up to launch the ball onto the head on Gaia and Bowles had to pull off a great save to deny the equalizer on 37.
After some good interchanging play from midfield Matt Williams had a go at extending the lead just before the break, but just cleared Julian’s bar from the edge of the area.

HT: 1-0

With the wind unable to decide as to which way it was blowing and the rain continuing to make conditions slippy underfoot the second half got underway.
Stevenage won their 7th corner of the game on 50 minutes and David Hicks blasted a shot through a crowd of Tamworth defenders only to see Gavin McAllum connect perfectly with it and launch the ball to safety.
Tamworth then won a free kick on the left and Taiwo Atieno powered home McGrath’s dead ball with a bullet header that gave Julian no chance to open his account for The Lambs. (2-0)
But Stevenage pulled one back on 57 through George Boyd. After Craig Dobson had made space on the right wing he fed Boyd who teed himself up for a half volley which went in at the far post. (2-1)

The game continued in battling fashion with both sides struggling to keep hold of the ball for more than a few passes.
However, John McGrath few McAllum on 65 and the Lambs defender hit his effort from the left of the penalty area straight at Julian.
After picking up a yellow card in the first half, Alan Neilson received his second on 72 minutes seemingly for just throwing the ball to his own man for a Tamworth throw in(?!) which left the Lambs with 10 men for the final 18 minutes.
With a man down Cooper had to rejig is squad around and brought on Graham Ward in midfield, sacrificing Matt Williams up front and despite the numerical disadvantage The Lambs still continued to come forward when possible to look for a third goal.
A minimum of 5 minutes added time did little to help the situation and Dobson clipped the top of the bar at the start of added time with a dipping effort.
Sub Darryn Stamp but the
3-5-1 formation ultimately held strong and Tamworth condemned Boro to another defeat.

Williams (Ward 76), Atieno
McAllum, Neilson, Deakin (Storer 68), McGrath (Moore 90), Smith
Thomas, Kemp, Weaver

Subs: Law, Belford



Morison, Boyd (Stamp 84)
Guppy, Miller, Lee, Hicks (Henry 54)
Nutter, Goodliffe, Gaia, Fuller (Dobson 54)

Subs: Potter, Oliver

Goals: Nutter (og) 32, Atieno 52, Boyd 57

Yellow Cards:
Neilson 30 and 72, Miller 67, Thomas 89
Red Cards: Neilson 72

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures