Search results to follow...

Lambs upset Barrow

FT: Tamworth 3    0 Barrow

03 April 2010

Tamworth welcomed FA Trophy Finalists Barrow to The Lamb for a league encounter with a lot riding on it. With just six games to go and both sides precariously positioned outside the relegation zone both sides would be going for all three points to try and put a bit of daylight in between themselves and the bottom three ahead of the Bank Holiday fixtures. The Lambs had had a week's rest since their visit to Bootham Crescent but it was Barrow's fourth tie in a week as they quickly played catch up.
Gary Mills made two changes to the side that played at York with Alex Rodman and Chris Smith both ruled out Tom Shaw and Jake Sheridan came into the starting eleven.
Three recognisable faces in the crowd for the match were ex-Premiership referee Dermot Gallagher was in attendance along with assistant Leicester City boss Craig Shakespeare and ex-Lambs boss Mark Cooper.

Barrow got proceedings underway, and with the ground not segregated they kicked towards their vociferous and massive flag bearing following on the Castle End terrace.
An early freekick on the halfway line saw the visitors fire the ball into the Lambs box but it was dealt with by the Lambs defence which saw Lyttle on the right with Tait ahead of him, Mitchell and Wylde in the centre and Blackwood on the left with Sheridan playing in front of him.
The five midfielders were completed by Smith, Pritchard and Shaw leaving Christie as the lone striker up front.
A quick start to the game saw Tamworth win a corner on 4 on the right which Shaw he received back via a defensive header and when the ball was worked back into the box Lyttle found himself bundled over but the idea of a penalty was not one which the referee entertained.
Pritchard fired a low ball in from the left on 6 which was hoofed away and at the other end on 8 Mitchell put a defensive header short by the clubhouse but McEvilly and his team mates were unable to create a chance.
On 13 Tait missed a golden chance to open the scoring after Christie hooked the ball across the face of goal and with the Lambs midfielder spurned his opportunity at the far post and diverted the  ball wide of the mark.
Christie's lobPritchard hit a right footed shot from 18 yards on 15 which Deasy collected and Christie burst through onto a delightful through ball and lifted the ball over the keeper on 17 only to see it bounce up and back off the crossbar before being cleared away.
And then on 20 Christie fired a low right footed shot wide of the right hand upright after a good knock back from Sheridan inside the Barrow area.
A left sided freekick for the visitors came on 22 which Wiles floated right footed straight into Alcock's hands and when Blackwood set Christie loose one on one with the keeper from Alcock's throw the Lambs striker missed his kick on the edge of the area.
Hulbert was asked to leave the field on 25 with a blood injury and returned to the field with a new shirt.
Shaw fired in a corner from the left on 29 which Tait struck into the crowded box from 25 yards before it was hooked away.
In a rare burst of forward pace from Barrow, Spender found himself with the ball on the right wing and tried to fire a cross in, but it was blocked and Alcock eventually gathered a second cross at height on 33.
Barrow kept up their push forward for the next few minutes without managing to threaten in the final third but kept Tamworth penned into their own half for the most part.
On 40, the referee allowed play to continue, but once a suitable stop had been reach he called Bond back and booked him for an earlier challenge on Pritchard.
Mitchell finds a way throughRutherford had his sides first real attempt on goal on 43 with a driven low right footed shot from 25 yards which was always going wide of Alcock's left hand upright.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the half and with it the opening goal of the game. Sheridan cut the ball to Pritchard on the left and he sent it towards Mitchell at the far post who was unable to fully control it initially but spun and struck a low shot past the covering defender and into the net to give Tamworth a deserved lead. (1-0, 45 mins).
Christie was booked shortly after for a two footed challenge halfway into the Barrow half as seconds ticked down to the half time whistle.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Barrow

Sheridan is mobbed after scoringThe Lambs started the second half, kicking downhill and Barrow made two changes prior to the match resuming.
And less than a minute after the restart Sheridan lifted the ball over Deasy and in to the far corner from the right side of the box with the keeper unable to get a touch as it dropped over his head and into the net (2-0, 46 mins).
Chadwick was booked for persistent fouling on 50 and on 58 Spender brought down Christie by the clubhouse but was not booked, allowing Shaw to send a ball over the danger area but also out past the far post for a goalkick.
A cross from Tait on the right on 66 was headed away with Christie coming in at the back of the area and Barrow made another change before Sheridan glanced a Lyttle cross from the same side of the field over the bar.
MacKenzie replaced Shaw shortly after and on 72 Bolland felled Christie on the edge of the area for a Lambs freekick on the left of the box about 23 yards out. Three Tamworth players discussed the move and although it looked like Smith would get a clear sight of goal when the ball was played short to him he curled his effort over the bar.
Sheridan and Spender went for the same ball by the away dugout on 74 which saw the Lambs player hurdle his Barrow counterpart but then lead to calls for action by the referee from the Barrow bench who felt Sheridan had caught Spender on the way through, and lead to a prolonged period of discussion and calming down by the officials.
Well done IsyedenAfter play got under way again MacKenzie fed Sheridan on the right wing who planted a superb ball onto the head of Christie at the back of the area and he nodded the ball over Deasy and into the far corner. (3-0, 78 mins)
Logan was booked for diving on 80 as Lake-Gaskin replaced Lyttle and Tait took over the captain's armband and there was little to report until the 87th minute when Christie was replaced by Murdock.
One of the Barrow management pair Darren Sheridan was sent from the dugout with a minute or so remaining and four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game.
Sheridan almost bagged himself another goal in added time but was called off side as the ball came through and the final whistle blew on a much deserved three points.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Wylde, Pritchard, Sheridan, Shaw (MacKenzie 69), Lyttle (Lake-Gaskin 80), Smith J, Mitchell, Christie (Murdock 87)
Subs: Fankem, Briscoe

Barrow Team:

Deasy, Spender, Edwards, Jones, Bolland, Wiles (Blundell HT), Hulbert (Boyd 67) , Bond, McEvilly (Logan HT), Chadwick, Rutherford
Subs: Tomlinson, Pearson

Attendance: 817

Man of the Match: Chosen by Match Sponsors: Snowdome: Michael Wylde

Referee: Mr. R. L. Lewis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures