Search results to follow...

Lambs unable to Buck the trend again

FT: AFC Telford United 2    0 Tamworth

21 November 2017

On the back of the victory over Darlington at the weekend that gave The Lambs seven from nine points on the road, Andy Morrell made one change to the starting eleven with Powell coming in for Reid.

Referee Amy Fearn got the game underway at the New Bucks Head with The Lambs attacking the closed off away end (The Frank Nagington Stand) and the first real action of the game came in the 7th minute when the ball fell kindly for Verma 25 yards out and his volley flew goalward, but Singh stopped it one handed.
A freekick on the right on 13 was sent into the box left footed by Morley and Powell’s resultant cross deflected out for a corner on the right for Morley to try again but it was headed away.
Fox tried his luck from distance on the left on 17 but it bounced once and skipped past the keeper’s dive but also the right hand post.
Powell made it past the Bucks back line with the defenders on his heels and fired a low shot at Singh and then in the next move was pulled back by Simpson who was booked by his efforts.
Knights took the freekick from the left and it was cleared by the home defence. Knight’s backpass bounced back to Rowley on 25 and the keeper had to head it away but it went up and over and towards the line forcing him to clear it away with a hefty boot to prevent the own goal.
A deep freekick from the home side was headed goalward by White on 34 and Marsden struck from 30 yards past the right hand post a minute later, appeasing the unrest coming from the home faithful a little.
Lussey picked up a booking for a late challenge on Deeney in the centre circle on 37.
Jones powered a header high into the empty terracing from a Morley corner on 39 and Lambs pressure kept them up in the final third but United managed to break clear from the pressing danger.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half and there was no further action before the whistle blew.

HT: AFC Telford United 0    0 Tamworth

Telford restarted proceedings but The Lambs took control quite quickly and on 48 Powell was bundled over 30 yards out handing Knights the freekick and a handball in the wall brought the deadball to the edge of the D but Knights couldn’t keep the kick down and curled over the bar Powell cut in to the box and back onto his preferred foot before firing a low shot which was blocked and cleared on 55.
Deeney picked up a yellow card for a foul by the dugouts on 58 and Telford puched on a little from the incident until Jones shepherded the ball out of play.
On 61 Marsden was given a little bit of space 20 yards from goal, looked up and picked his spot before striking the ball home into the top corner with Rowley in full flight but helpless to stop in (0-1, 61 mins)
Knights was upended on the right of the area on 67 and although the freekick was long, Tamworth managed to keep possession for a while, but the Bucks had other ideas. Knights was involved again on 74, forcing a flag kick on the left which Verma headed into the hands of Singh.
When Powell was upended on the right on 76 by Newby, he picked up a card for his troubles. From the freekick Powell picked up the ball on the left and drilled it into the box.
Verma got a touch and it cannoned back off the far post for Lane but his snap shot from a yard or so to the right of the post also hit the post and Telford survived.
Reid came on for Upton with seven to go as the Lambs moved to three up front and as the minutes ticked by The Lambs were forced to push upfield.
It was a defensive mess that gave Telford their second goal on 89 though when a pass went short and Newby raced onto the loose ball and fired it into the bottom left of the goal past the exposed Rowley (0-2, 89 mins)
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Murphy headed wide from a right sided freekick before the final whistle blew as there was no way back for the Lambs and you have to go back thirteen games to February 1970 for the last Lambs victory at the Bucks home.

Tamworth Team:

Rowley, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones (c.), Lane, Upton (Reid 83), Fox, Powell, Verma, Knights
Subs: Taylor, Shaw, Hayden, Coulson

YC: Deeney 58

AFC Telford United Team:

Singh, Simpson, White, Johnson, Sutton, Cowans, Leonard (Dwyer 56), Lussey, Dinanga (Hayden 79), Marsden, Newby (Murphy 90)
Subs: Martinez, Barnes-Homer

YC: Simpson 21, Lussey 37, Newby 76

Attendance: 747

Referee: Amy Fearn

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


23/01/2021 15:00:00 AFC Rushden and Diamonds H
30/01/2021 15:00:00 Biggleswade Town A
06/02/2021 15:00:00 Needham Market H
13/02/2021 15:00:00 Stratford Town A
20/02/2021 15:00:00 Lowestoft Town H
27/02/2021 15:00:00 Banbury United A
02/03/2021 19:45:00 Barwell A
06/03/2021 15:00:00 Peterborough Sports H
13/03/2021 15:00:00 St Ives Town A
20/03/2021 15:00:00 Redditch United H
View all Fixtures