Search results to follow...

Lambs slay The Shay

FT: Tamworth 2    0 FC Halifax Town

04 January 2014

For the first match of 2014 and the visit of 5th placed Halifax Town to The Lamb, boss Dale Belford made four changes to the team that suffered defeat at Braintree Town in the final game of 2013.
Straight into the starting eleven came new signing Gavin Mahon, while Tony Capaldi, Jake Evans and Lloyd Kerry all returned to the side having been unable to feature in Essex due to suspension.
Duane Courtney and Ben Richards-Everton were still ruled out through injury meaning Wayne Thomas took the captains armband in defence.
Halifax got the game underway looking for just their second away victory of the season as The Lambs attacked the Meadows Street End in search of their first league victory since mid November.
A fine through ball from Kerry for Todd to run on to and he made a sprint into the box but was denied a shot away by the covering defender.
As the clock reach the ninth minute The Lambs continued to keep the ball in the top third of the field for prolonged periods and forced another corner, which Ainge headed away strongly.
The ball was played back in from the right and Chadwick tried to loop a header over Glennon, but couldn't get enough direction on it.
Belford slipped when collecting a seemingly easy ball on 11 and gave the home faithful a scare.
Play switched quickly to the top of the ground and Todd and Chadwick then Kerry tried to get the ball goalward but were unable to test Glennon fully, before a run from Kerry into the left of the area forced another flag kick on the left.
Pearson unleashed a right footed drive from the right of the box on 23 in the visitors first real attack and Belford produced a fine fingertip stop to deny the Shaymen's midfielder.
The fourth official had to step in for the linesman on the Shed side of the ground on 27 and after a brief warm up by the replacement play continued.
On 31 Capaldi's ball into the box was turned behind for another Lambs corner and the same player nearly found Peniket and Mahon at the far post but when the ball left the box Evans tried a shot which unfortunately didn't go anywhere near the target.
Glennon punched another flag kick away from under the bar on 33 and play continued in the Lambs favour until Kerry got a shot away which the keeper smothered.
Peniket didn't complain too much when the offside flag denied his clean break at goal on 43 and at the other end, Gray volleyed over the bar from 6 yards following a dinked through ball that beat The home defence for the first time.
Within the unspecificed period of added time at the end of the first half Kerry swung a ball into the box from the left wing and it bounced unhindered and snuck past Glennon for his first of the season shortly before the half time whistle blew (1-0, 45 mins)

HT: Tamworth 1    0 FC Halifax Town

Tamworth got the game underway in the second half and on 51 Evans cross from the right was met by the head of Chadwick but it floated over the bar.
Capaldi was penalised with a yellow card for foul on Halifax captain Gregory outside the area on 56 and set up Wilson with a freekick at Belford's goal from 25 yards which struck the wall and rebounded to McManus who drove a left footed effort wide of the right hand upright.
A tackle from behind on Chadwick allowed Capaldi and Baker to line up the dead ball and the former floated it to the far post for Chadwick to head back into the danger area and Todd obliged with a thumping volley to double the lead (2-0, 59 mins)
From the restart, Halifax responded with a left wing cross and header behind Belford's goal and on 64 Mahon picked up the second yellow card of the game.
Chadwick tried to beat the offside trap to go one on one on 70 but mistimed his run by a yard.
A move using Todd down the right saw him cut into the box and cause mayhem in the Halifax defence but no one could finish the chance.
After Chadwick had been replaced by Haworth on 76, McManus unleashed a drive which Belford tipped over the bar for a corner on 80 which Gregory completely miskicked a yard from goal.
Kerry was booked for handball on 82 allowing Wilson to strike the freekick, from a central position 25 yards out, but he lifted his shot over the wall and the target.
Haworth forced a right sided corner on 89 but The Lambs were content to hold the ball and lose it in the corner shortly before the replacement fourth official indicated a minimum of three minutes added time.
And so the final whistle blew on a much needed and deserved three points pleasing the home faithful but sending the 229 visiting fans home wondering about their side's continued poor away form.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Kerry, Baker, Peniket, Capaldi, Todd, Thomas, Chadwick (Haworth 76), Mahon, Keane
Subs: Gudger, Byfield, Jones, Morgan

FC Halifax Town Team:

Glennon, Maynard, McManus, Pearson, Roberts, Ainge, Marshall (Worthington 56), Smith, Wilson, Gray (Holsgrove 67), Gregory
Subs: Senior, Ironside, Anderson

Attendance: 890

Man of the Match: chose Richard Peniket

Referee: Mr. R. Whitton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures