Search results to follow...

Lambs make an impact at Alfreton

FT: Alfreton Town 1    2 Tamworth

11 December 2007

Tamworth travelled to the former haunt of Gary Mills, Darron Gee and Marcus Ebdon for a crunch league fixture.
After defeating The Lambs earlier at the start of the season the home side had were undefeated in all but six of their 20 games following, while The Lambs were looking to respond to Saturday’s below par performance at Hucknall.

Mills made three changes to the side that played on Saturday – Adie Smith was ruled out through injury, while Nick Wright and Jonti Richter moved to the bench making way for Dominic Langdon, Marcus Ebdon and Matt Williams in the starting eleven.

The Lambs showed a great deal of effort and team spirit from the first whistle with some good movement off the ball and searching passes but Alfreton were giving as good as they got.
On 10 minutes Danny Reet unleashed a pile driver at Palethorpe which brought a very good save out of the Tamworth keeper to deny him and on 19 Brian Cusworth flashed a header wide of the mark under pressure while The Lambs were yet to test Kyle Sutcliffe.
The Lambs first real chance came on 23 from a Gareth Sheldon freekick which just failed to fall right for Graeme Law and Kirk Jackson was denied a header by the home defence from another Sheldon freekick shortly after.
But the home side took the lead on the half hour mark through Cusworth who fired home under Palethorpe after picking up the loose ball which Tamworth should have dealt with more effectively.
Then Dominic Langdon came to the rescue a minute later cleared Josh Law’s high lob off the line with an audacious overhead kick.
Tamworth the drew level through Langdon on 39 when, after both sides played pinball in the six yard box from a Sheldon corner, Langdon pounced from 8 yards through a crowd to players.

HT: 1-1

The Lambs dominated the early stages of the second period, penning the home side back into their own half and Jackson went close after a couple of minutes, scuffing his shot.
Then after a prolonged period of Tamworth pressure and a ball over the Alfreton defence Jackson made no mistake with a low shot under the keeper on the hour to give his side the lead. (2-1)
Alfreton then turned up the heat and caused a few heart stopping moments, none moreso than when a mass melee in the area ended with at least half a dozen players on the floor all going for the same ball a few feet from the goal line which ended with a desperate wayward shot wide.
Philip Palethorpe made a number of important stops as the game went on and in the final ten minutes Tamworth could have made the game safe.
First Dave Bampton struck a powerful effort at goal only to strike Matt Williams en route and then Williams struck the post from 30 yards after robbing the keeper of a deflected clearance and lofting it over the two defenders tracking back. He was central to goal but the ball curled agonisingly onto the upright and the danger removed.
Alfreton never gave up and forced The Lambs to defend strongly to the end and they final whistle was greated with a massive cheer by the Tamworth bench and travelling contingent.


Palethorpe, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe, Bains, Ebdon, Law G, Bampton (Richter 83), Jackson, Williams, Sheldon
Subs: Wright, Robinson, Edwards, Sheridan


Sutcliffe, McFadzean, Brown, Wilson, Hannigan, Warne, Law J, Wilson, Cusworth, Knox (Glass 84), Reet
Subs: Walton, Barnard, Lindley, McDonald

Yellow Cards: Wilson 35

Referee: Mr Evans (Lincoln)

Att: 275

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures