Search results to follow...

Lambs make a point against Dragons

FT: Wrexham 2    2 Tamworth

29 December 2012

After a disappointing Boxing Day, Marcus Law's Lambs trekked across the border into Wales to face Andy Morrell's high flying Dragons at impressive The Racecourse Ground.
Captain Richard Tait had already publicly vowed ‘revenge' against the local rivals in the first game after New Year but his side faced a tough test against Wrexham who had put six past Nuneaton and four past Telford in recent encounters.

There were 2 changes to previous side with Adam Cunnington taking a place on the bench, and Lloyd Kerry out though suspension for one game meaning Connor Gudger and Peter Till were both handed starts.

The Reds of Wrexham and The Blues of Tamworth lined up as Kelly and Wright got the game underway, kicking towards the big open unpopulated standing terrace behind one goal.
The home side quickly won the ball though and a deep cross gave Breeden an early touch.
A long ball forward and an elbow from Wright earned the Lambs striker an early booking but the resulting Dragons freekick went long to Breeden.
A snap shot from Harris was blocked on 2 and when Breeden left his box to clear the danger leaving the goal gaping Wrexham were unable to capitalise. His opposite number, Mayebi, still a virtual spectator.
A miss kick from Courtney allows the home side a chance but it is wasted at the left hand (near) post on 5.
The ball ran free for Ormerod on 7 and he was unlucky to find Breeden in good form, blocking the shot with his feet before the Lambs defence cleared.
Till blocked the ball for a corner on the left on 9 and Tamworth survived a close call and the follow up shot from Rushton was cleared from a yard or two out but The Lambs broke and Wright curled a shot from a central position wide of the right hand upright.
Barrow was forced to conceded a corner on 18 and the right sided flag kick was eventually headed and then booted away by Kelly. Gudger caught Rushton as the ball bounced towards the halfway line and earned himself a yellow card.
A foul on Hendrie on 20 on the left of the halfway line gave Kelly the chance to put the ball into the danger area and Tait's ball back in following a clearance was put behind for a Lambs corner on 22.
Till got the ball and fired low but found Mayebi able to tip it around the post for another flagkick
A well struck left foot shot from Ashton came back off the post on 27 and Rushton's follow up was blocked but fell for Ormerod and he side footed home from a yard out for the opener (0-1, 27 mins)
Keates was booked for a dangerous challenge shortly after the Lambs restarted the game and Gudger headed home the equaliser on 30 with a close range header from a right sided ball in from Hendrie. (1-1, 30 mins)
Gudger and Wright somehow beat the offside trap on 32 much to the disdain of the home faithful but the combination of Mayebi and his defence cleared the danger.
A flowing move out of midfield involving Kelly,  Baldock and Gudger ends with a header by Wright on target but straight at Mayebi on 36.
There was more consternation from the home fans when a throw in and a freekick seemingly didn't go the ‘right' way and Tamworth continued to frustrate their hosts in most areas of the park.
A cross from the left by Ashton was flicked over the bar by the head of Ormerod on 43.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and Wright was penalised for a shoulder challenge on the halfway line which incensed the home faithful shortly before the whistle blew.

HT: Wrexham 1    1 Tamworth

The Dragons restarted the game and quickly won a corner with a deflected cross on the right from Danny Wright which Breeden took at height.
The Lambs moved upfield with a string of fine passes on 49 but Wright was unable to get the shot away from 8 yards and Ormerod flashed the ball across Breeden's goal in the next move.
Tamworth then won a corner on the left which was easy for Mayebi who struck the ball long for Rushton only for the Lambs 19, Barrow, to get there first.
Keates put a challenge in on Till on 52 and the Lambs player immediately requested assistance. This resulted in a second yellow card for the Wrexham player and a red card. Till was carried from the pitch and unable to continue and Moke came on in his place.
Ormerod shot from the edge of the box straight at Breeden and Wright received the long ball forwards as Tait and Wright work hard to keep ball upfield.
A game of Lambs box pinball ensued on 65 but Ormerod was unable to lunge the extra couple of feet required to divert the ball goalward at the left hand post.
Hendrie robbed the ball off the Wrexham midfield on 67 and fed Wright who in turn found Moke, but his shot was taken at chest height by Mayebi.
Wrexham won a corner on the right on 68 and Danny Wright hit the bar with his header. Clarke unable to follow up effectively at the far post and Breeden restarts with a goal kick.
The Lambs made their second change with 20 remaining replacing goalscorer Gudger with leading marksman Cunnington.
On 73 Ormerod's ball in from the right wing for Danny Wright undoes the Lambs defence and he is able to finish from close range after a good first touch. (1-2, 73 mins)
Tamworth counter from the restart and win two quick corners but find the home defence a virtual brick wall.
Tait launched a long ball into the area on 80 which Mayebi collected under pressure from Cunnington and he then latches onto a low through ball but it is going wide and he put his shot into the side netting.
Breeden spent more time out of his box in a bid to get the ball upfield quickly and tait is forced to sprint back to halt the run of Danny Wright.
A Lambs freekick following a foul on Wright on 85 was struck by Barrow from fully 20 yards into the bottom left hand corner to level the tie (2-2, 85 mins)
Wrexham then won a freekick by the right hand corner flag following a challenge by Regan which earned him a booking and Cunnington was booked on 90 for raising his hands to his opponent.
The Dragons won a corner on the left as four minutes added time was shown but Breeden was first to the high ball.
Tommy Wright almost scored with a diving header in added time but his effort went wide of the right hand post and The Lambs continued to press but when Wrxham pushed down field Courtney and Danny Wright tangled, earning Wrexham a freekick in the left of channel, setting up Walker with a deadball chance which was cleared and both sides shared the spoils.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c), Marcus KELLY, George BALDOCK, Matthew REGAN, Lee HENDRIE, Tommy WRIGHT, Connor GUDGER (Adam CUNNINGTON 70), Peter TILL (Adriano MOKE 55), Duane COURTNEY, Scott BARROW
Subs: James WREN, Tom MARSHALL, Sam OJI

Wrexham Team:

Joslain MAYEBI, Neil ASHTON, Danny ALFEI, Martin RILEY, Jay HARRIS, Danny WRIGHT, Brett ORMEROD (Declan WALKER 77), Dean KEATES (c), Nick RUSHTON (Johnny HUNT 57), Chris WESTWOOD
Subs: Adrian CIESLEWICZ, Glen LITTLE, Bradley REID

Attendance: 3703

Referee: Mr. Backhouse

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures