Search results to follow...

Lambs hit for six by Shaymen

FT: Tamworth 2    6 FC Halifax Town

14 January 2017

After the 3-2 victory over Curzon Ashton seven days previously Andy Morrell was forced to make one change to the his starting eleven, with Luke Jones suspended, bringing Jed Davies into the fray.
The absence of Danny Newton and Connor Taylor, still nursing injuries, was evident on the bench though as Aaron Opoku, John Dodd, Kai Davis and Junior Mpofu all took spots on the teamsheet, with Mpofu being one of the youngest ever Lambs at under 17 years old.

The visitors had recorded a 4-0 reversal at The Shay earlier in the season with former Lamb Richard Peniket netting and starting this time around too, while lanky target man Tom Denton was on the bench for Halifax.

The Shaymen got the game underway and on 3 a crunching header by Clarke against Morley earned his a booking for his over exuberance early on, but the freekick was poor and didn’t threaten Drench’s goal.
The Lambs forced a corner on 8 but Davies low strike from the right of the box went wide of the mark.
There was little to report until the 17th minute when Kosylo struck from distance but it was easy for Belshaw to gather.
Deeney’s freekick appeared to have come to nothing on 18 but it was fed down the left to Morley and he drilled it low into the box.
Dyer picked up the loose ball and struck for goal but it was blocked / cleared by Peniket.
And on 21 Peniket gave the Shaymen the lead via a deflected hot that ballooned over the despairing dive of Belshaw (0-1, 21 mins)
A freekick was conceded on the edge Belshaw’s area following a high challenge on 23 on 24 Kosylo delicately lifted his freekick from the edge of the area over the wall and into the top left corner. (0-2, 24 mins)
And it was more of the same on 26, following good work by Kosylo Morgan rose and placed his unmarked header into the bottom right corner from Roberts right sided cross. (0-3, 26 mins)
At last there was some positive football from the Lambs on 39 when Briscoe found Mills and his shot from 20 yards forced a good stop from Drench which Morley followed up but drilled wide on the angle.
But there was another goal for the visitors when Peniket went through and his shot deflected over Belshaw again. (0-4)
Mills whipped in a dangerous cross from the right on 44 and it was headed over the bar by Briscoe.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half and Halifax were forced to make a change in personnel before the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    4 FC Halifax Town

The Lambs restarted proceedings having made two changes with Opoku making a near instant impact as on 49 he received the threaded through ball, held off his man and slotted home past the Drench. (1-4, 49 mins)
A deep freekick from Deeney was pulled back into play by Clarke and Briscoe struck goalward from inside the area but it was blocked and cleared by the Halifax defence.
Garner was booked for a hefty challenge on Opoku in the centre circle on 58 and Peniket was shown a straight red card for leading with his arms going to a high ball with Lane.
There was then a period of extended possession from The Lambs but no clear chance or shot could be forged as Halifax struggled to get a grip on the game like they previously had.
A Mills cross forced a right sided corner on 71 and things seemed to be going the right way, but on 73 a Halifax break through the centre saw Morgan pick up the ball and go one on one with Belshaw and slot home into the right of the goal. (1-5, 73 mins)
Davis took the ball down on the right forced a corner which was booted away for another which fell to Deeney.
His shot from the right of the area cannoned back off the upright and in the ensuing play it seemed that Mills had been brought down, but no penalty was warded by the referee to the annoyance of most of the crowd.
The visiting 173 continued to sing and on 81 Kosylo took the ball from the right wing to the edge of the box past a couple of players on the way and lifted it over Belshaw to give them more reasons to be cheerful on the away terracing.(1-6, 81 mins)
Burns deflected Briscoe’s half volley into the net on 88 to reduce the arrears (2-6, 88 mins) Deeney was booked at the start of the three minutes added time and after a bit of discussion about a freekick in the Halifax area play ended with the referees whistle.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley , Deeney, Tomassen (Davis HT), Lane, Mills, Clarke, Briscoe, Dyer, Fox, Davies (Opoku HT)
Subs: Dodd, Morrell, Mpofu

YC: Deeney 90

FC Halifax Town Team:

Drench, Roberts (c.), Wilde, Clarke (Moyo 59), Garner, Hotte, Kosyle, Lynch (King 45), Macdonald, Morgan (Simmons 82), Peniket
Subs: Nicholson (GK), Denton

YC: Clarke 4, Garner 59
RC: Peniket 60

Attendance: 793

Man of the Match: Aaron Opoku

Referee: Mr. S. Copeland

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures