Search results to follow...

Lambs fall to Seadogs

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Scarborough

12 November 2005

Mark Cooper named an unchanged starting eleven to face bottom of the league Scarborough. The Seadogs, under the reins of new manager Neil Redfearn, had scored just four goals on their travels all season and had never beaten the Lambs in the Conference which boded well for The Lambs after the heroics of last weekend’s cup tie. But the bottom side recorded a rare away victory for their new manager.

In the 3rd minute Carl Heggs tried a low shot at Leigh Walker only to see it gathered easily and Tony Hackworth made space on the right less than a minute later, but Aaron Brown cleared the cross on the six-yard box. Fresh from his winning goal at Bournemouth, Kyle Storer then forced Walker into a low stop in the 6th minute.
Mark Quayle broke free to strike at Scott Bevan and Graham Ward flashed a shot wide less than a minute later in a very open start to the game.
Tamworth slowly turned the screw as the first half went on with the ball spending most its life in the Scarborough half.
The Lambs forced their first corner in the 25th minute following good interchanges between Micky Touhy, Jake Edwards and Ward but Dave Bampton could only head wide past the far post.
The visitors responded with a flag kick of their own on 27 but the Lambs cleared, only for Kevin Nicholson to blast high and wide from 25 yards.
Quayle put in a good shot from the edge of the area on 33 which was saved by Bevan and a Cooper free kick received the same treatment from 30 yards 30 seconds later.
Chris Hughes volleyed a Seadogs corner over on 35 as both teams continued to look for the opening goal and Quayle watched a half volley go wide after good play down the right.
Storer struck over the bar on 42 from 25 yards as Heggs and Edwards continued to work hard at the front but Quayle headed home a low cross from close range on 43 following a break by Chris Hughes down the right which evaded the Lambs defence. 0-1
The Lambs escaped an appeal for handball in the area following an Ian Clark cross that was headed goalward by Hughes and blocked on the line before being hooked clear.

HT: 0-1

Clark tested Bevan from 20 yards 4 minutes after the restart but the Lambs custodian was more than equal to his drive towards goal.
Scarborough continued to press for a second goal and Clark half volleyed over unmarked on 52 while the Lambs struggled to break out of their own half.
The Lambs escaped another penalty appeal on the 59th minute when Quayle fell under pressure from the home defence and Clark had a low drive tipped around the post by Bevan on 60 minutes and with results elsewhere in the league against them, Tamworth found themselves propping up the table.
Clark then squandered a great chance for the visitors from close range when Touhy’s clearance fell invitingly from a few yards out.
Tamworth rallied and Edwards saw his shot deflected wide on 71 for a Lambs corner which was cleared after a scramble in the area.
The second of to Seadogs corners saw Carl Cook flash a shot wide but Tamworth almost equalised through sub Adie Smith but his right foot strike from the edge of the area was well saved by Walker at the base of his right hand upright.
The Lambs came close to equalising two minutes from time but Ward hit the bar with a right foot half volley and although the ball came back out to Nathan Jackson the youngster put the ball wide and high from close range.

Tamworth: 4-4-2
Heggs (Jackson 70), Edwards
Robinson (Francis 61), Cooper, Storer (Smith 73), Ward
Stamps, Brown, Bampton, Touhy

Unused: Redmile, Gayle

Scarborough: 5-3-2
Quayle (Coulson 88), Hackworth
Clark, Fowler, Hughes
Cook, Nicholson, Weaver, Baker, Lythe

Goals: Quayle 43

Yellow Cards: Fowler 66, Quayle 66, Brown 66, Cooper 90

Red Cards: None

Att: 1165

MOM: Jake Edwards

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures