Search results to follow...

Lambs fall to five from the Dons

FT: Tamworth 2    5 AFC Wimbledon

19 February 2011

Tamworth welcomed league leaders AFC Wimbledon to The Lamb on the back of two disappointing defeats with manager Des Lyttle looking for a response from his players.
With Adi Yussuf out with a hamstring pull, Lyttle opted to bring Aaron Mitchell into the starting eleven while new / re signing Aaron Farrell took a place on the bench.

After the Lambs pre-match huddle Wimbledon kicked off the game towards their massed ranks in the Meadow Street end of the ground.
Perry just failed to beat the offside trap by a few feet in the first move forward while at the other end a deflected show went behind for a corner on the left on 3 but it was wasted and came to nothing.
MacKenzie was unable to get purchase on a dead ball on the left wing on 5 and the visitors cleared and moved upfield with Mulley firing wide of the right hand post from distance.
Then on 9 Mulley found space to fire across the face of goal from 18 yards and a deflection took it past the far post for a left sided corner which was cleared by Mitchell.
MacKenzie found Perry with a dinked ball to the left of the box on 10 and Tait went through but was not able to get a shot away as Brown closed him down and a corner was won which Wimbledon cleared.
Another corner was conceded by Tamworth on 13 and Gwillim took it left footed forcing Atkins to punch clear.
Mitchell was forced to head behind on 16 for yet another Dons corner which Marshall powered away with a well timed header but the visitors regained possession and kept up the pressure and Mulley appeared almost from nowhere to take the ball through a crowded box and round Atkins before slotting home into an open net from close range. (0-1, 18 mins)
Jolley unleashed a rasping drive on 20 which went wide of the right hand post and although Barrow and Perry combined well as The Lambs attacked, the former's shot from the edge of the area was blocked and rolled harmlessly back to Brown.
Wimbledon kept on coming and Atkins plucked the ball off the head of Hudson on 26 after a good cross from the right from Yussuff.
A rare attack by The Lambs saw Perry flick on to Bradley who in turn passed to Thomas in the left of the area but he couldn't get enough power onto his shot and it rolled passed the far post, watched by Brown in the Don's goal.
Bradley almost found Tait, ghosting into the centre of the area on the half hour but the Wimbledon defence headed the ball away.
There was a good amount of close passing from The Lambs shortly after but the final ball was just too long for Tait and when Wimbledon countered Kedwell stuck the bar, and went into the away end, with a chipped effort which had Atkins well beaten.
Perry held up the ball for Thomas to strike for goal from the edge of the box in the next move but he dragged his shot wide and when Perry tried to get to his feet Hudson appeared to pull him down but there was no booking for the Don's player, just one for Perry for dissent.
Wylde was given a yellow for a two footed challenge which didn't touch Johnson and did win the ball but the letter of the law was applied and Wimbledon restarted play, winning a corner when the ball ran long.
Tamworth won a corner on the right on 42 as the Don's defence headed the ball away and when the ball came in Perry and Wylde both went up to head towards goal, but whichever of them got it (it's hard to tell from this angle!) it went just over the bar from the back of the box.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 AFC Wimbledon

Tamworth got the second half underway, but Wimbldeon, attacking the Castle End goal - where a Southampton flag was being proudly displayed by fans whose game at Rochdale had been called off - quickly went in search of a goal.
And Kedwell was played in inside the area down the right channel, duly finishing the chance by pushing the ball past Atkins with consummate ease (0-2, 50 mins)
However, a minute later Wylde put the ball into the net, finishing a MacKenzie 25 yards freekick from close range to give the Lambs a quick lifeline (1-2, 51 mins)
A slip by Mitchell which saw him wrong footed for a header on 55 allowed Kedwell a clear run and sight of goal, but Atkins saved well with his feet, going one on one with the forward and Tamworth escaped.
Perry forced a corner a minute later as play swung the other way but the ball found its way to Brown as The Shed burst into song.
Another fantastic save from Atkins denied Yussuf as the ball bounced high towards goal and he tipped it over the bar in full flight for a corner on the right which Stuart glanced past the far post.
With Wimbledon camped out in the Lambs half, Lyttle made a double change on 63 bringing Kamara and Farrell into the fray.
And then on 65 Bradley somehow put the ball into the net with a fine low strike from an ever decreasing angle from the right of the area after picking up a short back pass and rounding Brown to send the home fans wild. (2-2, 65 mins)
Atkins performed miracles again blocking a smashed shot at goal from Mulley on 67 while at the other end Farrell looked for goal on 71 but saw his effort blocked by a covering defender.
A foul on Perry on the right side of the final third gave Tait a freekick on 72 but Marshall glanced his header wide of the mark.
Farrell was released by Perry on the left and his return ball went straight back into the path of Perry but he went down under a challenge and despite shouts for a penalty from the home faithful, nothing was given.
The visitors though, regained the lead on 75 through substitute Broughton after Atkins had sprinted out to deny Kedwell's run and the ball fell kindly for his team-mate who fired home from 30 yards into the empty net. (2-3, 75 mins)
Wylde turned and shot for goal from the edge of the area on 80 following a long freekick forwards, but could only watch as it dipped over the bar rather than under it.
Tait felled Mulley in the area on 88 for a penalty to The Dons. Tait and Marshall received bookings before Kedwell fired home from the spot to re-instate the two goal advantage. (2-4, 89 mins)
And Rashid Yussuff piled on the misery in the three minutes of added time with a close range finish (2-5, 90 mins)

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Courtney (Sheridan 86), Wylde, Mitchell (Kamara 63), MacKenzie (Farrell 63), Perry, Thomas,, Bradley D, Barrow
Subs: Smith, Wilkinson

Yellow Cards: Perry 37, Wylde 39, Tait 88, Marshall 88

AFC Wimbledon Team:

Brown, Hatton, Gwillim, Gregory, Johnson, Stuart, Mulley, Yussuff, Kedwell, Jolley (Broughton 66), Hudson (Franks 89)
Subs: Harris, Turner, Jackson

Attendance: 1496

Man of the Match: Chosen by Gas Services, Tamworth: Atkins

Referee: S. J. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures