Search results to follow...

Lambs bring a point home from the seaside

FT: Eastbourne Borough 1    1 Tamworth

26 September 2009

For the second time in a week (and with another to come) The Lambs were on their travels again, and in the blue kit again, facing new opponents in Eastbourne Borough at Priory Lane after an overnight stop near the South Coast.

Borough, in 14th place in the league picked up three points in midweek with a 3-1 win over Hayes while The Lambs sat in joint third with just one defeat in twelve outings.
Lambs boss Gary Mills made no changes to the starting that had left Altrincham with a point although there were a couple of changes on the bench with Wright replacing MacKenzie and Mills coming in for Bruce.

Teams shake hands before kick offGlorious sunshine and a light breeze welcomed The Lambs fans players and officials to  very friendly ground.
Boro won a corner on the left on 2 which Alcock punched half clear and Nathan Crabb won the ball before thumping it toward goal with a right footed shot, bringing a superb save from The Lambs keeper in front of his near post.
Russell hit a hopeful effort from 25 yards high and wide on 4 and the home side tried to push forward for a few minutes although Tamworth slowly seemed to be finding their feet.
However, Enver-Marum got the better of Smith on 10 getting around his marker on the edge of the right of the area and was able to fire a shot towards goal only to see it curl off target.
Tamworth almost took the lead on 11 via a deflected shot from Shaw which Jordan managed to claw out and The Lambs continued to press with Blackwood and Pritchard both finding the way blocked. It had all come from some fine play down the left involving Blackwood, Tait and Russell culminating in Pritchard forcing his way into the box before pushing it out to Shaw to strike from 18 yards.
Brown hit a long range shot straight but rising over the bar on 16 from 30 yards after a poor pass from Lyttle allowed Boro to break down the right before the ball was worked out to Brown.
Sheridan won a corner on 17 which Shaw put onto the head of Smith, but it was moving too quickly to take the direction from his header towards goal and Briscoe was forced to chase it out on the far side.
Taylor ended a good break by the home side with a weak shot under pressure on 19. Matt Crabb had a go for goal following a throw on the right which was flicked to the left of the area but shot widly off target and Taylor's effort a minute later took a deflection off Briscoe allowing Alcock to collect easily.
Enver-Marum got the better of Smith again on 23 this time on the other side of the area and brought another good save out of Alcock before Tamworth cleared their lines.
Pritchard was spun off the ball just outside the Eastbourne area on 25 and the home side broke to Taylor who unleashed a long low shot at Alcock who saved at the second attempt.
Russell was dispossessed and a long ball into the Tamworth half was cleared by Smith as Enver-Marum bore down once again, looking by far the most dangerous of the home team.
Then, Sheridan was felled for a freekick on 35 and Shaw's ball was headed strongly away and Tamworth then enjoyed a spell of pressure but the final ball never seemed to fall right.
At the other end Enver-Marum put in a dangerous out-swinging cross close to the goal which Alcock was happy to help on its way past the danger area before being cleared and play switched with Pritchard finding Sheridan who put a shot on target on the angle, but Jordan was able to gather with relative ease.
After a good ball into Blackwood on 43, Shaw tried to place his shot from 20 yards into the corner, but only succeeded in giving the sponsors a scare in the boxes above the stand behind the goal and play turned in Eastbourne's favour, but The Lambs defence held strong as Enver-Marum waited for something to come his way.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half but no further notable action.

HT: Eastbourne Borough 0    0 Tamworth

Wright replaced Lake-Gaskin at half time as Boro got the second half underway with a long ball out into the stands.
Enver-Marum for the better of the Lambs defence again on 48 but none of his teammates could do anything with the ball he put into the danger area from the left by-line and he repeated the feat on the other side a minute later but Tamworth cut out his ball into the centre of the area.
Wright chased down an over hit back pass which caused Jordan to chest the ball down before the Lambs striker could get there.
Play ran to the other end and Shaw denied Enver-Marum with a perfectly timed sliding challenge eight yards out after Taylor put him through on goal with a good ball behind the defence and the resultant corner was headed behind. The second corner from the other side was wasted.
Enver-Marum then took full advantage of some lapse Lambs midfield and defending and with a ‘play on' from the referee as the tackles flew in the Boro striker pushed the ball beyond Alcock from 10 yards to give Eastbourne the lead. (0-1, 56 mins)
Sheridan scoresTamworth came back strongly, with Blackwood winning a corner. Smith saw his effort cleared off the line and Russell's follow up was deflected over for another flag kick on 59.  The initial effort from Smith was headed away, Shaw popped the ball up from outside the area for Wright but his header hit the post and as it bounced at back out and at head height Sheridan acrobatically put the ball home from 6 yards (1-1, 60 mins)
Blackwood was unlucky to put his far post header off target on 64 from a Lambs corner, and Eastbourne won one of their own on the right 65 which fell to Enver-Marum on the left of the area but his shot was blocked by Briscoe. The same Boro player tried a chip from the edge of the area in the next move but cleared the bar under pressure while Jenkins cross into the area from the left on 68 was just missed by the head of two home team players.
Jenkins then brought down Wright on the right centre of the box 13 yards from goal and three Tamworth players lined up to take it. Blackwood curled his shot coolly around the wall but it also went out by a couple of feet, past the far post.
Sheridan crossed from the left for Wright on 75 but he flicked his header harmlessly behind.
An unintentional bash in the face on Sheridan caused a halt in play with 12 to go as he received treatment and allowed both sides a much needed drinks break and when he eventually got back onto the field Russell was brought down for a freekick. From it, Briscoe put a long ball into the area causing Pullan to clear away the goal bound effort from a yard or two out, although it looked more spectacular than it perhaps needed to be.
Neither side seemed to be able to get a full grip on proceedings but on 83 Enver-Marum put a shot in from a tight angle and Briscoe somehow managed to clear Weatherstone's header off the line with most of the home support shouting for handball against the defender.
Andrew replaced Pritchard with 6 to go and then on 87 shots came in from all angles from Eastbourne causing the Tamworth defence to work hard to clear the ball from going over the line at least twice if not three times in succession.
Blackwood won a left sided corner on 89 which Shaw sent into the box and Brown headed it clear but only as far as Russell who hit the ball over the bar with a rising shot from 25 yards.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game.
Appeals for a penalty were strong when Enver-Marum appealed to go down in the box but the referee waved play on and he got up and back heeled the ball into the box for Taylor to burst on to and although from a very tight angle he managed to skim the front of the bar with his rising shot and Dan Smith put a shot from the right of the area into Alcock's hands as the game entered the 97th minute before the final whistle was blown on another away point.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Smith C (capt), Pritchard (Andrew 84), Sheridan J, Shaw, Lyttle, Briscoe, Lake-Gaskin (Wright HT), Russell
Subs: Mills, Benjamin, Koranteng

Eastbourne Borough Team:

Jordan, Jenkins, Austin, Pullan, Enver-Marum, Crabb M, Weatherstone, Crabb N (Smith D 66), Taylor, Elphick, Brown
Subs: Knowles, Baker, Smart, Johnson

Attendance: 1053

Referee: Mr. K. Yeo

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures