Search results to follow...

Lambs break Steel for place in last 16

FT: Corby Town 2    4 Tamworth

19 December 2012

Liam Hughes last minute equaliser at The Lamb on Saturday forced Marcus Law to bring his squad to Steel Park for a replay of the FA Trophy second round tie and the chance to face Gainsborough Trinity in the next round in January.

Law made four changes to the side that ran out at the weekend, welcoming Richard Tait and Scott Barrow back to the eleven after injury and opting to start with Adam Cunnington and Lee Hendrie who came on at half time in the first match.

And so, in increasingly atrocious windy and rainy conditions but on a pitch that was holding up very well given the amount of water falling on it, Tamworth kicked off and pushed their hosts back from the first whistle.
But Corby had the first chance of the game early on with Moreman whipping a cross into the left hand side netting and behind.
Wright's 19th minute close range effort struck the bar from 8 yards out with a left footed strike and at the other end Breeden's clearance played up so much in the wind that no one had any idea how or where it was going to land!
On 32 Cunnington struck from the left of the box and pulled it back for Wright who calmly slotted home from a few yards out (1-0) and the players celebrated by racing to physio Hus, leaving the club after the match for pastures new.
Four minutes later Hendrie tried to beat Walker with a low right footed placed shot into the bottom right corner, but the keeper denied him.
However, on 38 it was 2-0 when Cunnington found Wright in the box and he played a delightful ball into the path of Baldock who finished from 12 yards with aplomb and The Lambs held the upper hand at half time.

HT: Corby Town 0    2 Tamworth

Shortly after the restart, the home side gave themselves a lifeline when Paul Malone finished a right wing cross from close range (2-1, 52 mins)
But Baldock restored the lambs advantage six minutes later after a ball through to Cunnington from Wright was flicked to Baldock and Walker was unable to push the low shot away in time and it squeezed inside the near post from the right of the box. (3-1, 58 mins)
Kelly almost extended the lead further following a foul on Hendrie in the right channel, but his deadball was tipped over by Walker and it only served to spur the Steelmen on.
So, when Kelly went shoulder to shoulder with Semple in the box and the latter fell under pressure the referee awarded a penalty which Hughes fired past Breeden to reduce the arrears once again, while Kelly received a yellow card for his efforts (3-2, 64 mins)
But it wasn't long before Tamworth made sure of the victory following Kerry's right wing freekick which was headed defensively up into the air by Hughes and attackingly into the back of the net by a jubilant Courtney  (4-2, 68 mins).
Hendrie and Cunnington combined well but the formed couldn't beat Walker with a low drive on 78, while Kerry's shot was deflected behind for a corner on 84.
And despite a late surge by the home side, the two dozen or so travelling Lambs fans celebrated a place in the last 16 of the competition, despite being completely soaked to the skin.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c) (PETER TILL 78), Marcus KELLY, George BALDOCK (Adriano MOKE 82), Matthew REGAN, Adam CUNNINGTON, Lee HENDRIE, Tommy WRIGHT, Lloyd KERRY, Duane COURTNEY, Scott BARROW

Corby Town Team:

Subs: (four only) Liam RICHARDSON, Marc MANGA

Attendance: 300

Man of the Match: The SC coach chose - Baldock

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


17/04/2021 15:00:00 Rushall Olympic H
24/04/2021 15:00:00 Coalville Town A
01/05/2021 15:00:00 Kings Langley H
01/05/2021 19:45:00 AFC Rushden and Diamonds A
03/05/2021 15:00:00 Hednesford Town A
08/05/2021 15:00:00 Leiston H
View all Fixtures