Search results to follow...

Lait addition helps Lambs return to the top

FT: Alvechurch 0    2 Tamworth

04 February 2020

The Lambs made a short midweek journey to Lye Meadow to take on The Church who had won just four times all season, and just once in the last 15 alone to leave them second from bottom.
Tamworth, with the best defence in the league at kick off, faced the second lowest goalscorers in the league, only just ahead of bottom club Redditch United who the Lambs were set to travel to next, at the weekend.
In 12 previous encounters between the two sides, the Lambs had lost just three times, the last time coming in 1989.
In fact, the last loss at Lye Meadow was on 02 February 1981, in the Birmingham Senior cup and the Lambs had won four out of four league games there, scoring 13 conceding while 3 since our first visit in 1978!

The Lambs made 2 changes to the side that narrowly defeated Hitchin at the weekend with Joe Magunda and Ahmed Obeng both out injured, henri Wilder and Dilano Reid too places in the starting eleven, meanwhile Chris Lait returned from injury onto substitute bench minutes before the line ups were officially announced.

Alvechurch got the game underway attacking the car park end of the ground in the first half. Creaney had a close range shot blocked in the opening minutes and The Lambs seemed to be signalling their intentions shortly after when Reid’s cross / shot went just over.
However, a couple of incisive through balls called Singh into action, first on 6 and then on 10, the second of which he had to rush out to clear.
A run by Hoenes on 13 saw him brought down and Beswick freekick on the right of the area was met by the head of Wilder but it went back to Sargeant.
Another dangerous through ball from Da Veiga caused problems while long balls up to Creaney were not effective as he found himself continuously surrounded by three defenders and when he did flick it on there was no one up with him.
On 26 Creaney just missed a Reid ball from the right with his leaping attempted header, and a minute later Forde was booked for a clumsy challenge on Da Veiga.
Tamworth pushed on and moved the ball quickly upfield with pressure from Reid and Hoenes resulting in a Creaney header which went off target on 37.
On 38 Birch wove his way through the Lambs left but screwed his shot over the corner of bar and post while a the other end, Reid managed to get a shot away after some nifty footwork, but cleared the target.
A rare cross by the home side was headed over by Botfield with a couple of minutes remaining and the first half ended goalless.

HT: Alvechurch 0    0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted the game and early into the second half a clash of heads left Hull and Fry needing treatment but neither could continue so both sides were forced to make an early change.
The Lambs slowly started to take control but were unable to really test Sargeant.
On 54 a Wilder cross from the left has headed by Creaney but deflected out for a corner and from Beswick’s deadball, substitute Frances glanced his header wide of the mark.
A right sided corner caused problems at the far post but none of the close Lambs players could get the decisive touch and on 65 Hoenes stole into the box but blasted his right footed shot over the target.
Two minutes later Beswick’s freekick fell to Creaney but his nod down was cleare and Redi made way for Lait on 69.
Another corner caused problems for the home defence who countered and whipped in a dangerous cross, but The Lambs broke, Forde released Lait with a perfect pass out of midfield and he celebrated his 50th appearance with a shot from 18 yards which beat Sargeant, who did manage to get his hand to it on the way past. (1-0, 76 mins)
Forde was booked for a second clumsy challenge on 80 and so the Lambs were reduced to 10 men for the remainder of the game.
Alvechurch attempted to capitalise and Da Veiga struck over the target on 83.
Seven minutes added time were shown and as if to allay any fears of a late home equaliser, when Lait picked up the ball out of midfield and with just one man in front of him he took the defender on in the left of the box and rifled a shot into the far right corner to settle the tie and ensure victory (2-0, 90+3 mins).

This ensured that Tamworth recorded their third league win and third clean sheet in a row, and returned to top of the table at the final whistle which was met with celebrations on the bench and perhaps moreso by the small band of travelling fans.

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Forde, Wilder, Beswick (c.), Gough, Rowe-Turner, Reid (Lait 71), Fry (Frances 49), Creaney, Yafai, Hoenes (Howkins 86)
Unused: Hearn, Clement

YC: Forde 27, 80 (= RC)
RC: Forde 80

Alvechurch Team:

Sargeant, Diovey, Morrison T., Birch, Morrison K., Hull (Wollacot 53), Da Veiga Monteiro, Botfield, Zazi (Monaghan 89), Phillips, Dears
Unused subs: Nabi, Joao, Slinn (GK)

YC: Botfield 38

Attendance: 252

Referee: Mr. N. Pratt

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures