Search results to follow...

High hopes are slain at the Shay

FT: FC Halifax Town 2    0 Tamworth

01 March 2014

After the seven goal thriller in midweek, Dale Belford made his hopes and intentions of staying in the league perfectly clear to all by securing the signing of two new players in a bid to retain Conference Premier status.
Hull U21 captain Will Aimson joined on loan along with reknowned non league striker Matthew Barnes-Homer and Belford made five changes to the side that couldn’t quite force a point against Chester on Tuesday night as his side looked to repeat the 2-0 home victory of earlier in the season against the second best home side in the league, FC Halifax Town.

Tamworth got the game underway kicking towards the populated stand behind the goal, the other being completely empty.
Referee Amy Fearn was forced to halt proceedings on 4 when Godden took a high boot on the halfway line and Evans lifted the freekick into the box but Halifax cleared quickly.
Godden tried his luck with a right footed strike from the left channel on 10 but saw it screw wide of the right hand post and Halifax pushed forwards with two chances, but both failed to forced Belford in a save.
Belford, however, was helpless to stop Pearson’s strike on 14 which he took superbly, advancing to the edge of the box before shooting right footed into the far right corner. (0-1, 14 mins)
Godden put the ball in the net on 17 but his effort was ruled out for offside.
Adam Smith’s close range header from Crowther’s shot header was well cleared by Belford on 21 and Marshall forced the keeper to punch clear again in the next move forward following his blistering shot from 18 yards.
Another strike from the home side, from Smith again, on 23 forced Belford into action again and he ensured the scoreline remained 0-1.
As the home fans sang a version of the Sex Pistols ‘Anarchy in the UK’ the travelling Lambs faithful looked on in hope that one of the moves out of defence would allow their side to get back into the game sooner rather than later.
A first real chance for Barnes-Homer came on 29 but his shot was blocked for a corner which was taken at height by Glennon.
Howarth was unable to keep a 35t minute shot down and it sailed high into the home fans terracing, and from a right sided corner on 38 the ball fell to the same player, but he was unable to get his shot on target.
Barnes-Homer’s right wing cross was met by the head of Godden on 40, but he was falling away and unable to get direction on it and Halifax cleared.
Howarth forced a fingertip push away from goal by Glennon on 42 and Godden was only just unable to get to the loose ball before the home defence cleared.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the game and although Tamworth won a couple of corners there was no goalmouth action prior to the half time whistle blowing.

HT: FC Halifax Town 1    0 Tamworth

Halifax restarted the game and the midfield continued to disrupt proceedings when either side tried to play the ball on the deck over the half way line.
A different tactic came on 51 when Keane floated the ball over the top and Godden sprinted into space in the right channel but his first time shot went wide of the mark and didn’t trouble Glennon.
A couple of niggly fouls by both sides failed to let the game flow and The Lambs made their first change on 57 as Peniket came on for Todd.
A long range effort from Barnes-Homer on 62 took a big deflection to win a corner but Howarth was unable to control the ball as it came out and Tamworth were forced to work it forwards from the back.
Mahon was booked for a late boot on Marshall’s ankle on 65 and Richards-Everton had to be on his game to deny a run from Gregory as the home side pushed on from the freekick.
But it was 2-0 to Halifax on 67 when Maynard struck from distance with a rising shot that Belford threw himself towards, but could only watch go past him into the roof of the net (0-2, 67 mins).
After former Lambs captain Chris Smith came on for Halifax, Mahon received another talking to from referee Fearn on 72 after another foul on Marshall.
Gregory found Pearson with a rolled pass along the edge of the area on 77 and the latter struck for goal but was denied by the feet Belford.
Richards-Everton was not penalised for a seemly late challenge on home sub Jackon on 79 as play restarted with a drop ball.
A challenge by Aimson on Pearson on 80 set up Marshall with a freekick on the left corner of the box and Jackson forced a save from Belford on 82.
Pearson was denied by Belford again on 90 and despite a late flurry and shot from Barnes-Homer that Glennon was forced to parry away the end of three minutes added time came and ended in defeat.

Tamworth Team:

Belford C., Evans, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Godden, Todd (Peniket 57), Aimson, Howarth, Barnes-Homer, Mahon (c.), Keane

Subs:Reindorf, Baker, Baker-Richardson, Belford D.

FC Halifax Town Team:

Glennon, Bolton, Roberts, Ainge, McManus, Smith A. (Smith C. 70), Maynard, Pearson, Marshall, Crowther (Jackson 61), Gregory

Subs: Senior, Lenighan, Challinor

Attendance: 1313

Referee: Ms. A. Fearn

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures