Search results to follow...

Hatters come back and hold on to take the win

FT: Stockport County 3    2 Tamworth

02 April 2018

Tamworth travelled to face Stockport a little over 28 and three quarter hours after originally planned due to a waterlogged Edgeley Park pitch which was still cutting up and muddy in places but devoid of any standing water that had postponed on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon.
Mike Fowler made no changes to the side that thumped North Ferriby on Good Friday as The Lambs looked to push themselves away from the relegation zone against Jim Gannon’s inform Hatters side hunting for points to remain in the play-off spots.

After a moving minutes applause following the passing of four people associated with County, Tamworth got the game underway with The Lambs attacking the Cheadle End of the ground.
Winter got the first shot away on 5 after good work from Warburton, but he couldn’t get the direction right and it curled harmless wide of the mark into the empty seats behind the goal.
A teasing cross from the left of the area looking for the head of Stott on 8 was flicked behind by the head of Lane and from the corner Stockport’s Ball headed wide.
Thomas forced a corner with a low deflected shot on 10 and Stott met it at the far post, but it went straight into the hands of Stevens.
County pushed forwards again on 12 and Warburton twice had a shot blocked then saw his left footed shot go just wide after it took a touch to take it past the post.
The Lambs pushed up field around the 20 minute mark and got the ball through to Asante but he was unable to clear it from under his feet and County cleared but Tamworth kept up the pressure and when Asante and Donohue combined to thread it through to Davies on the edge of the area he took a couple of touches to beat his man and struck it past Hinchliffe to give the small band of travelling fans something to cheer about (1-0, 20 mins)
A move down the left and ball into the box nearly gave Angus a shot on goal a minute after the restart, but it bounced awkwardly in the box and he wasn’t able to strike it cleanly.
A foul by Davies on 26 earned him a booking and also set up a freekick 25 yards out in the right channel for County which Warburton fired wide of the far post with Stevens in full flight.
Stockport equalised on 28 through Oswell’s close range finish, under pressure from the Lambs back line, after Turner’s ball into the danger area from the left (1-1, 28 mins)
County pushed forwards immediately and forced a couple of corners which caused problems, and on 33 they were in front when the ball was not cleared effectively when it came in from the left, bouncing invitingly for Warburton to rifle home on the half volley past an exposed Stevens from 15 yards out (1-2, 33 mins)
Tamworth did their best to get the ball forwards to try and get level before the break, but found the way through a difficult one as County remained focussed on looking for openings themselves, and two minutes added time was shown. County nearly added a third before the break but a glancing header skipped just wide of the mark a few second before the whistle blew.

HT: Stockport County 2    1 Tamworth

Stockport restarted proceedings and nearly extended their lead from a 46th minute corner but Stott’s glance went out just past the far post with the partisan crowd already on their feet.
After a booking for Lane on 54, County kept pushing forwards and Thomas forced a corner with a shot that came off the same player.
The flagkick on the left was whipped into the box and Oswell met it with a close range header to extend the home side’s advantage (1-3, 59 mins)
Powell replaced Donohue on 63 but he was not involved in the immediate play as a Morley headed behind a deep cross for a right sided County corner which Cowan sent in to the box for Stevens to punch high and out for another on the opposite side of the pitch which flashed across the box and out for a throw giving The Lambs time to regroup.
Tamworth nearly got back into the game on 70 when Asante picked up a misplaced short pass and weaved into the right of the box but it bobbled in front of Shaw and rebounded back to the keeper.
Knights tussle with Cowan by the left corner flag have the home side a freekick on 76 and Burns cleared it.
At the other end a long clearance then found Knights and his half volley tested Hincliffle but it was straight at the keeper.
Both sides had made all their changes by 82 and The Lambs did find some space but Verma put a low challenge in on the half way line on 84 and picked up a booking for his efforts.
A rare corner for The Lambs on 86 bounced awkwardly in the box and Angus nipped in to turn it past Hincliffe and give the Lambs a lifeline as the end of the game came into view (2-3, 86 mins)
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Tamowrth pushed up leaving only Morley back si when Taylor brought the County attacker down on the far side he escaped a red card on 93 and despite one last ditch effort to get forwards, The Lambs leave Cheshire without a vital point.

Tamworth Team:

Stevens, Burns, Morley, Davies (Shaw HT), Kettle, Lane, Taylor, Verma (c.), Asante (Knights 72), Angus, Donohue (Powell 63)
Subs: Upton, Steer

YC: Davies 26, Lane 54, Verma 84, Taylor 93

Stockport County Team:
Hinchliffe, Cowan, Duxbury, Winter (c.) (Turnbull 71), Clarke, Stott, Thomas, Ball, Oswell (O’Halloran 82), Warburton, Turner (Stephenson 64)
Subs: Ormson, Smalley

Attendance: 2854

Referee: Mr. A> Jackson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures