Search results to follow...

Captain Smith sees 10 men Lambs through in final seconds of extra time.

FT: Tamworth 3    2 Hyde FC

13 November 2007

With The Lambs first choice keeper Jose Veiga ruled out for the foreseeable future through injury, and reserve ‘keeper Leigh Walker out with a groin strain boss Gary Mills brought Dave Clarke back off loan at Gresley Rovers.
His starting eleven featured three changes from Saturday’s defeat to Nuneaton – Micky Tuohy played no part in the cup tie, while Gareth Sheldon and Matt Williams both took a place on the bench. Jonti Richter, Rikki Bains and Jake Sheridan all taking a place in the first eleven.

Tamworth should have taken the lead with less than a minute gone after a searching ball down the right wing found Wright who squared across the face of goal, but Anthony Robinson somehow glanced the underside the bar from a yard or so out and the danger was cleared.
Then Clarke brought down Gareth Seddon in the area in Hyde’s first attack of the evening and the same player made no mistake from the penalty spot after just 4 minutes (0-1)
On 6 Hyde fans thought their side had netter number two but Seddon’s stab from 8 yards was ruled out for offside after a one two with, and incisive ball through the Lambs defence from, Chris Simm.
Jake Sheridan floated a freekick into the area on 13 which evaded everyone including goalkeeper Craig Dootson but struck the outside of the far post and was cleared once again.
Clarke almost got caught out with a mis-punched clearance on 17 but Seddon was unable to recover and get a shot on target as the ball fell back to him.
Des Lyttle conceded a bizarre corner on 24 with a clearance that more resembled a curling shot but Hyde failed to capitalize on the chance.
Then on 27, a searching right wing cross from Richter was headed past his own keeper by Chris Brass, under pressure from Sheridan, to level the tie and take his own goal count to two in two and Hyde’s own goal count to three in two! (1-1).
On 33 Nathan Whatrton struck the inside post with a low curled effort and from it The Lambs broke upfield with Wright and Richter combining and the Anglo-Australians return ball was turned in from close range by Wright to put Tamworth into the lead. (2-1)

David Morley went close with a shot past the post from the edge of the area on 36 but Tamworth broke again and Richter crossed to the far post for Sheridan who headed the ball well, but it was easy for Dootson to collect.
Seddon then missed two good chances to draw his side back level on 38 – the first was well saved by Clarke as he bore down on goal unmarked, and when the rebound was played back to him he tried an audacious volley that didn’t work at all.
Tamworth were playing much better than they had against Nuneaton with good balls along the floor the order of the day when possible and won two corners in succession on 39, the first from a glanced behind header from the Hyde defence and the second a deflection from a shot from Robinson six yards out.
Another flag kick came on 41 when Hyde had to knock behind another searching ball from Richter. Adie Smith let fly from 20 yards on 43 and Dootser could only bat the ball away

HT: 2-1

In the second minute of the second half Wharton headed a pin point cross down into the floor and Clarke had to make sure by tipping the bouncing ball over the bar. From the flag kick the ball curled in and Clarke made another good stop, one handed, pushing the ball over. Then from the next corner he saved easily from Morley’s powerful header at the far post.
The woodwork then denied another goal on 51, when Simm flicked a header past Clarke only to see it bounce along a yard in front goal line before being cleared.
A powerful run from midfield by Richter gave him a chance of a first Lambs goal on 54 but his shot under pressure from three covering defenders went straight into the arms of Dootson.
Wright played Robinson in with a great ball into the area from the wing on 59 and although Robinson got a touch and diverted it past the ‘keeper Peter Band was on hand to hook it clear a few feet before it rolled over the line.
Wharton brought a good stop out of Clarke with a right foot shot in the area on 65 and won a corner which Clarke parried clear before collect the return ball into the box with ease.
Gary Mills made a straight swap substitution on 66 bringing Gareth Sheldon on for Sheridan then at the other end Simm his the post again with another header from close range under pressure from Dominic Langdon and Clee shot high from a tight angle on 70.
The Lambs found themselves under a fair bit of pressure from then on although Hyde but countered and won a corner on 78 but it came to nothing.
Tamworth found themselves down to ten men for the final 7 minutes after a second yellow card for a challenge on Lynch. After discussions between the ref and his assistant, Mr Cook eventually showed the card and Mills brought Marcus Ebdon on for Robinson..
Tamworth found themselves on the back foot from then on with Hyde searching for a way back into the tie and they won a corner on 88 which Langdon hoofed clear but only as far as Band who whipped the ball to the far post and Tom Cowan fired it low into the centre for substitute Neil Tolson to equalize in the 89th minute and send the game into extra time. (2-2)

Extra Time:

Despite having a man disadvantage there was no lying down from The Lambs although Hyde continued to press. Mills brought fresh legs up front on in the shape of Matt Williams on for Nick Wright for the final half hour, and Clarke denied Seddon from close range with his feet on 5 for a corner.
Williams forced a corner for Tamworth on 7 which came to nothing, as did a freekick struck by Langdon from just inside the Hyde half shortly after.
Clarke raced out of his area to clear the ball from the onrushing Lynch on 12 and Simm tried an audacious lob from the half way line from the loose ball, but missed the target by miles.
ET HT: 2-2
Hyde pushed forward once again but Tamworth refused to let them through and Richter forced Craig Robinson to head behind for a corner from his freekick on 20 but Lyttle missed his kick as the ball came to him.
Sheldon then won a freekick at the opposite corner which Hyde broke from but Lynch fired wide of the near post from 18 yards.
Clee struck a shot with the outside of his left boot wide of the opposite post on 22 and a foul by Craig Robinson denied Williams a run a goal on 115. The Lambs striker lined himself up for the freekick but slammed it straight into the wall.
Mark Innes drove a shot from 25 yards a foot or two over the bar on 27 as penalties drew ever closer then with just seconds remaining Adie Smith nodded in Lyttles cross from the right to settle the tie.

Clarke, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe, Bains, Smith, Richter, Nurse, A. Robinson (Ebdon 83), Wright (Williams ET 1), Sheridan (Sheldon 66)
Subs: Law, Leonard

Hyde United
Dootson, Brass (Lynch 44, Tolson 83), Cowan, C. Robinson, Morley, Innes, Band, Wharton, Simm, Seddon, Clee
Subs: Johnson, Davis, Harrison

Yellow Cards: (Nurse 56 + 83), Morley 114, C. Robinson 115, Seddon(?) 120
Red Cards: Nurse 83

Referee: Mr. S. Cook (Belper)
Att: 187

MOM: As sponsored by match sponsors Briers, Building Design Group, Pickerings Solicitors:
Jonathon Richter and Adie Smith

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures