Search results to follow...

Bulls stampede Lambs

FT: Hereford United 5    2 Tamworth

01 April 2013

Following the hard-worked narrow defeat at home to promotion hungry Mansfield Town on Easter Saturday, Bank Holiday Monday brought a trip to Edgar Street to face midtable United.
Dale Belford selected the same starting eleven and bench that had featured against The Stags in the knowledge that other fixtures in the league could have significant outcome on the league position come full time and was looking for more of the same application and attitude from his squad.
With the travelling Lambs fans split between the upper and lower floors of on half of the Community Stand the home side got the game underway.
The Lambs attacked the empty end of the big old ground from kick off, and Hereford keeper Bittner was forced to make a close range stop from Hendrie's low left sided strike on 5 which also saw Byfield tumble and need a bit of treatment from the magic sponge.
Hendrie's ball from the right channel on 8 was heading for Wylde but he was beaten to his header and won a corner which Hendrie rolled out to the edge of the area for Lloyd to sprint on to. However, the Lambs midfielder sent his shot high over the stand behind the goal.
Cunnington made a jinking run into the box on 10 and the ball was forced out of play for a corner on the left which Kelly sent into the box for Wylde but his effort was cleared.
For all the good early work, when 17 gone. Sharp headed the ball through for Bowman to run on to on 16, Gudger was adjudged to have brought him down in the box allowing O'Keefe to step up and take the penalty. Mitchell dived to his right but the ball went to his left and Hereford took the lead. (0-1 17 mins)
Shortly afterwards, Sam Clucas tried his luck from the left of the area but put his effort wide of the right hand post with Mitchell unable to get near it.
Hendrie released Cunnington down the left on 25 but his shot, after taking on and beating McDonald screwed off and target and wide of the near post.
Bowman made space into the box but was denied by the Lambs defence although a corner was the outcome from which McDonald volleyed home from close range after O'Keefe was allowed time and space to head back into the box from the right. (0-2 29 mins)
With ten to go in the first half, The Lambs were starting to experience more pressure from the home side and Mitchell was forced to leave his area to clear the danger from a threaded through ball ad Bowman looked to add to his side's tally.
A foul on the Hereford right wing by Lloyd gave the Bulls a freekick on 40 which Clucas sent long for Sharp but Courtney did a good job to keep the ball away from him and won a freekick in the process.
Play continued in a disjointed fashion with neither side able to make any headway in the final third until the 44th minute when Hereford's Watkins found himself with the ball at his feet from McDonald's deep ball from the left. But he was unable to test Mitchell with his effort and the keeper collected easily.
Courtney was booked for a foul on Clucas on the half way line on 45 and the fourth official indicated 2 minutes added time.
When the ball went into the area, Wylde brought Sharp down an O'Keefe fired home from the spot to make it 3-0 with a strike into the opposite corner to his previous spotkick. (0-3, 45 mins)

HT: Hereford United 3    0 Tamworth

Perry replaced Lloyd at the break and The Lambs got the game underway but the first chance fell to the home side from a couple of corners which forced Mitchell to push around his post.
Clucas made it 4-0 on 50 after initially seeing his free shot on goal from the left of the area, after good play down the right, parried by Mitchell. The ball popped up nicely to allow him a free header over the despairing outstretched arm of Mitchell to extend the Bulls lead.
Connor lifted a free shot from 20 yards over the target and Gudger cleared Bush's header through a crowded box off the line on on 58 shortly before Hendrie was booked for a late challenge.
Hereford keeper picked up a yellow card to time wasting on the hour as Wright replaced Cunnington up front.
Bowman skipped through the left of the Lambs defence on 66 and hit a low shot at Mitchell which the Lambs keeper was equal to.
Sharp was released by Bittner on 67 and he run down the right wing brought a cross box ball for Watkins. Watkins shot was cleared off the line by Tait but followed up by James and he curled the fifth goal of the afternoon inside the right hand post (0-5, 68 mins)
An own goal by the home side gave the Lambs a consolation when the ball Byfield's effort rebounded in off Connor after Bittner saved from close range.
The 108 travelling Lambs hoped Wright had netted a Lambs second goal on 80 when Stuart Hendrie's cross from the right was met well by the former's head, but his effort went wide of the near post.
Tait was then beaten for pace on the right of the Hereford midfield and escaped punishment when Sharp's shot proved to be wild and off target.
Lee Hendrie reduced the arrears with a superb right footed strike from 25 yards over Bittner (2-5, 89 mins) and three minutes added time was shown and the journey home began soon after.

Tamworth Team:

Liam MITCHELL (GK), Richard TAIT, Marcus KELLY, Michael WYLDE, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON (Tommy WRIGHT 61), Lee HENDRIE, Darren BYFIELD (Stuart HENDRIE 78), Duane COURTNEY (c.), Connor GUDGER, Danny LLOYD (KYLE PERRY HT)
Subs: Tony BREEDEN (GK), Sam OJI

Hereford United Team:

Liam MITCHELL (GK), Richard TAIT, Marcus KELLY, Michael WYLDE, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON (Tommy WRIGHT 61), Lee HENDRIE, Darren BYFIELD (Stuart HENDRIE 78), Duane COURTNEY (c.), Connor GUDGER, Danny LLOYD (KYLE PERRY HT)
Subs: Tony BREEDEN (GK), Sam OJI

Attendance: 1424

Referee: Mr. C. Breakspear

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures