Search results to follow...

Bluebirds shock victory stuns Lambs

FT: Tamworth 1    3 Barrow

08 September 2012

Tamworth's .... after enjoying a good spell of early pressure in which Scott Barrow hit a good chance off target when well placed and Shaun Jeffers tested Danny Hurst with powerful low strikes, it was the Bluebirds who took the lead on 18 when Joseph Jackson ghosted, unmarked, into space on the edge of the area from a corner and curled his shot into the bottom corner of the goal.

Marcus Law was forced to make a couple of changes from the side that started at Mansfield and he included emergency loan signing in the side with Tom Marshall ruled out. Peter Till returned in place of Charlie Collins and Jemal Johnson took a spot on the bench.

Barrow came into the game without a win in their opening seven fixtures, occupying 22nd place,  as The Lambs got the game underway kicking towards the Castle End.
After Tamworth won a corner on the right, Barrow moved forward and won a freekick which they worked into the box, but Jackson fouled Courtney and was awarded a yellow card for his efforts.
On 6 Dempster set Tait free down the right and his cross was headed towards goal past the far post by Jeffers, and keeper Hurst collected.
Jeffers forced Hurst to smother a left sided low strike from 15 yards on 9 and on 10 he sprayed a pass to Till but the resulting shot from Barrow was blocked. The ball was worked back into the box and Barrow struck again but fired wide of the right hand post from 18 yards.
A .long ball out of defence found Cunnington on the right on 13 and he cut it back for Till to try a shot from the edge of the box but it took a slight deflection and the power was sapped out allowing Hurst to collect his strike.
Jeffers won a corner on the right on 15 with a deflected cross off Skelton but Rowe broke up field with the ball from Till's outswinging flag kick and Barrow enjoyed their first spell of possession in the lambs half of the pitch which ended with Rowe striking for goal at the near post from a missed defensive header, but Tait was placed to block it for a corner. From the corner, on 18, Jackson ghosted into space in the middle of the edge of the box and side footed his curling shot into the bottom right of the goal. (0-1, 18 mins)
Tamworth tried to counter from the restart but Hurst was well placed and Gudger was booked for a bad challenge on the half way line.
Kerry sent a fine ball over the box from the right on 22 and Cunington got his head to it, but Pearson was in the way and a corner was the result which Dempster headed down at the far post only to see two defenders and the keeper in the way.
The Lambs started to turn the screw as the half hour mark approached but struggled to get balls to the target in the box.
On 32 though, Tait putu a right wing ball high into the box looking for Cunnington and Hurst missed his catch and when play brought the ball back to the edge of the area, Cunnington was manhandled to the ground, allowing the same player to go for goal from inside the D. His shot struck the wall and gudger';s follow up took a deflection for a corner on the left. The ball was worked out and back in and Till received it on his chest but couldn't quite control it enough to fire a shot from 6 yards and Barrow cleared the danger.
Till's ball from the right by-line was met well by the head of Cunnington but his effort screwed wide of the left hand upright.
As the final five minutes of the half came into view, it continued to be a frustrating afternoon for Tamworth as Barrow remained resilient in defence, managing to get the last touch to half chances and clearing the danger.
In the end, Gudger tried his luck with a left footed drive but missed the target by some distance.
A freekick was awarded in The Lambs favour and from it Dempster was brought down by Aldred for a penalty. Cunnington stepped up and sent Hurst the wrong way to put the ball into the bottom right for the equaliser. (1-1, 44 mins)
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Barrow

Barrow restarted proceedings, and after a few minutes when both sides tried to get some rhythm Boyes found himself in a good position but curled his shot well wide and at the other end Lambs shots rained in but were blocked or went wide .
A freekick was awarded for a foul on Kerry on 53 and Barrow lined up the kick from 30 yards striking it superbly and bringing a great save out of Hurst, pushing it away over the corner of bar and post for a flag kick on the right which was headed away by the visitors.
Cunnington launched a ball from the right into the box on 55 and Gudger went for the header but the referees whistle halted play.
Jeffers got away from his man on the hour but his ball looking for the run of Baldock was too strong and Hurst collected and Marcus Law made his first change of the game as The Lambs pushed on for a second.
A skilful turn from Baldock allowed Cunnington to strike for goal from the left of the box on 64 but the keeper and covering defender were not going to be beaten, while Jeffers and then Cunnington hit shots from 20 yards in quick succession but both went over or off target.
Johnson came on for his debut with 18 to go but there was action at the other end on 75 when Courtney misread the offside and Boyes went clean through from 35 yards but Breeden was able to get enough on the goalbound effort to turn it past the far post and the corner came to nothing.
Boyes did hit the back of the net on 79 though, racing ahead of Dempster to fire past Breeden from 12 yards and give Barrow the lead again. (1-2, 79 mins)
Once again Tamworth did their best to camp in the opposition half and won a corner on the right on 83 but it was cleared away and when it did work its way back into the box the Bluebirds put everything in the way to clear their lines.
Marcus Law made a final throw of the dice with three to go and Ivey-Ward almost pulled a goal back with a right footed shot from the edge of the box on 90, but it went wide of the far post.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Tamworth went very close from a corner but The Bluebirds raced to the other end and Rutherford slid the ball across the goal from the right for Boyesm with three Lambs defenders and Breeden in the box, to side foot home from a yard out.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c), George BALDOCK, Adam CUNNINGTON, Lloyd KERRY, Shaun JEFFERS (Jemal JOHNSON 72), Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER (Charlie COLLINS 62), Peter TILL (Jorden IVEY-WARD 87), Scott BARROW, John DEMPSTER
Subs: Graeme LAW, Dale BELFORD (GK)

Barrow Team:

Danny HURST (GK), Mike PEARSON, Gavin SKELTON, Thomas ANDERSON, Tom ALDRED, Paul RUTHERFORD, Richard BAKER, Garry HUNTER (Sean HESSEY 89), Adam BOYES, Joseph JACKSON (James OWEN 68), Danny ROWE (Chris MOORE 68)
Subs: Shaun PEARSON (GK), Dean OVERSON

Attendance: 892

Man of the Match: Tamworth Fireplace chose Adam Cunnington

Referee: Mr. K. Johnson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures