Search results to follow...

All square at HT

FT: Workington 1    4 Tamworth

18 October 2008After an overnight stop, Tamworth took the field unchanged from their last Saturday game – the 3-1 win against East Thurrock – with just one change on the bench – new signing Matt Birley taking on of the five seats.

On 10 good play from Tamworth, who strung 10 passes together in the move ended with a through ball to Pritchard that was just too strong for him to reach as it skipped into the area.
Anthony Wright put in a low left wing cross on 12 which was met by Arnison and Bevan did well to push the shot over the cross bar.
Sheldon saw his shot fumbled at the other end causing a melee in the area but the resulting shot from Sheldon was wayward.
The home side took the lead on 22 when Anthony moved the ball into the area for Arnison to shoot and a slight, but wicked deflection off Wylde took the ball past Bevan and into the net.
Tamworth countered but failed to make the best of a good opportunity on 26 when Rodman fed Wright on the right wing and his low cross was just behind Sheldon.
Workington then exerted some pressure of their own through Anthony who won a couple of corners with good work on the left and also tried a wind assisted lob which went just over from 35 yards.
Tamworth were playing a better game when they kept it on the floor and when a cross from a fine move came in for Sheldon on 35 it was only the fact that he didn’t get enough purchase on the chance that denied him the equaliser.
Then with 3 minutes remaining in the first half Wright looked up after moving past the half way line, spotted a half chance with Collin not positioned well in his goal and duly fired over the top of him to make it all square at the break.

HT: Workington 1    1 Tamworth

First chance of the half fell to Arnison who picked up the loose ball after a tackle on Sheldon. He proceeded to surge forward and got a shot away but perhaps could have done better and cleared the bar from 18 yards without troubling Bevan.
Foster picked up a booking on 55 for a foul on Anison and Tamworth broke from the oppositions freekick to make it 2-1 to The Lambs on 55.
Foster found Sheldon who squared for Pritchard on the edge of the area and he duly fired home.
Then on 60 Rodman finished another good move which saw Pritchard shoot through a crowded box and when Collin was unable to hold onto the ball, Rodman stole in at the far post to extend the scoreline. (3-1, 60 mins)
With the rain coming down in sheets the stand quickly filled with supporters but there was no escaping the downpour for the players.
And then it was four – this time through Sheldon - finishing a sublime move to put the ball home from close range after good work built the play out of defence and a cheeky back heel from Pritchard deceived the home defence. (4-1, 66 mins)
Wright just missed the target from the left of goal on 71 and the Reds of Workington quickly made to subs to bring some fresh ideas to their game and perhaps also keep down the scoreline as Tamworth were all but running rings around their hosts but finding the conditions difficult.
Arnison got a shot at Bevan in a rare move forward for Workington on 77 despite the attentions of the Lambs defence.
Matt Birley made his debut for The Lambs replacing the hard working Sheldon with 9 to go and was instantly recognisable as the only Tamworth player in a clean white kit!
With just a couple of minutes left, Sheridan replaced the equally impressive Pritchard and Wright came off for Lea as a minimum of two minutes remaining was indicated by the referee before the full time whistle blew.
Rumours around the ground were rife that Southport had only managed a draw – and if it was true, it meant that Tamworth would go top of the league…

Tamworth Team:

Bevan, Lyttle, Langdon, Smith, Wylde, Foster, Wright (Lea 90), Shaw, Sheldon (Birley 81), Rodman, Pritchard (Sheridan 88)
Subs: Burgess, Law

Workington Team:
Collin, Hewson, Rowntree, May, Andrews, Wipond, Anthony (McLuckie 73), Hopper, Arnison (Hardman 81), Robinson (Johnston 73), Wright
Subs: Kirkup, Edmonson

Attendance: 403

Referee: Mr. A. Newell

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures