Search results to follow...

Adie Smith leads by example as Lambs win opening fixture.

FT: Tamworth 4    2 Burscough

11 August 2007

The Band of The West Midlands Fire Service welcomed the Lambs on the opening of the new season and 1000 balloons were released from center circle prior to kick off.

Gary Mills stuck with the starting eleven that had played in the final friendly against Notts County, with the exception of the suspended Jose Veiga who was replaced by Dave Clarke as Tamworth welcomed Burscough to the Lamb.

The Lambs made an unbelievable start to their league campaign with a goal after just 30 seconds from birthday boy Adie Smith via a powerful left foot volley from 15 yards, after the Burscough defence failed to clear their lines. (1-0)
Chris Price went close with a header at the far post for the visitors but he was put under a lot of pressure by Rikki Bains and the chance went well wide.
After the explosive start to the game things settled down a little but then after 9 minutes Anthony Robinson opened his account on his home debut after Tony Thorpe forced an error from last defender and Robinson slammed home from 5 yards on the right of goal (2-0)
Ciaran Kilheeney struck for goal from the right on 19 minutes but it took a deflection and went wide for a visitors corner which Dave Clarke collected easily.
And then it was a resounding 3-0 to The Lambs via Adie Smith. This time he struck with venom from 18 yards and the ball took a wicked deflection of a defender to wrong foot Tony McMillan in the Burscough goal and send the home crowd into states of delirium!!
2 minutes later and it was Tony Thorpe’s turn to hit the back of the net on his debut after Kyle Storer had fed a neat ball through the back line of Burscough’s defence for Thorpe to slot into the far corner (4-0)
Kyle Storer’s header from Gareth Sheldon’s corner on 37 whistled over the bar after Burscough made an enforced substitution.


Anthony Robinson forced a corner for Tamworth on 50 as the Burscough keeper strayed out of his area to defend but McMillan collected Michael Briscoe’s far post header.
The minutes ticked by with little to report although both sides moved the ball around well and at times Burscough had Tamworth defending in numbers to clear any danger.
On 65 Thorpe fed Robinson with a lovely through ball, and after forcing past the last man, Robinson struck for the far corner, but lifted his effort over the corner of bar and post.
Mills changed the formation slightly with the introduction of Micky Tuohy into midfield for Kyle Storer.
Adie Smith tried cheeky lob from the right on 73 before Robinson was replaced by Carl Heggs in attack>
Dave Clarke made his first real save of the match on 81 when Neil Robinson shot from close range and Langdon was on hand to clear the rebound. But from the corner the Lambs defence was helpless to stop Dave Roberts driven shot which took a deflection en route to goal. (4-1)
The Lambs defence was nowhere to be seen when Kilheeney waltzed through the back four and slotted home to reduce the Lambs advantage once again.(4-2)
Matty McGinn found himself with time to shoot in stoppage time but was denied by the feet of Clarke as Tamworth celebrated a winning start to the season.

Clarke, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe, Bains, Mills, Storer (Tuohy 68), Smith (Bampton 80), Robinson (Heggs 74), Thorpe, Sheldon

Subs: Williams, Edwards

McMillan, Roberts, McGinn, Fitzhenry (Parry 36), Kilbane, Morley (Bowen HT), Booth (Carden 76), Price, Robinson, Kilheeney, Leadbetter

Subs: Hibbert, Smart

Yellow Cards: Roberts 20

Att: 1218

Referee: Mr G Adcock (Long Eaton)

Chicago Rock MOM:
Chosen by match sponsors Interlink Express, Zero One and Tamworth Baptist Church:
Micheal Briscoe and Adie Smith

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures