Search results to follow...

Lambs bow out with a whimper

FT: Tamworth 0    4 Farsley Celtic

29 November 2016

After the double come back on Saturday at the Throstle’s Nest Tamworth and Farsley tried again in freezing conditions that on previous seasons may have put the game in doubt, but on the 3G surface there was no real chance of the ground freezing over, although there were patches of white on the artificial grass.

Andy Morrell made three changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Morley, Newton and Opoku all starting in the knowledge that a victory would see the winners of the tie at home to Southport in the next round.

Farsley got the game underway and The Lambs forced an early corner which was hoofed away.
Briscoe fed the ball down the line to Newton and he managed to get a cross into the box but Opoku was beaten the ball by the visiting defence.
Opoku was released via a cross field pass on 6 and drilled the ball back in but again the Celtic defence was strong and denied the chance for Briscoe to take.
Opoku fired the ball in and it fell for Briscoe to fire home but a foul in the build up ruled it out, and then Marshall struck the cross bar with a 20 yard drive which saw Belshaw beaten but saved by the woodwork.
Taylor sprinted back to deny Marshall a strike on goal but Farsley continued to control the final third and Walshaw span on the loose ball after Belshaw dropped his catch and fired home but the referee ruled it out for a foul.
A cross from opoku ballooned up and towards the top left corner on 16 but McKibbin was equal to it. Newton’s persistence forced a left sided corner on 20 and Taylor managed to get a head to it but it looped back to the keeper under the bar.
Tamworth started to use the left instead of the right for a while around 25 withMorley seeing more of the ball and it opened up a few more in roads, but the Farsley defence coped just as well and enjoyed a few minutes of possession themselves.
Deacey threaded the ball through the right channel to Hardy and his cross was headed behind by Nightingale and so goalless it remained.
Taylor was booked for a trip on Marshall on 34 on the Celtic right set up Nightingale with a freekick which was headed over by Miller and on 37 Marshall fired wide when well placed after a telling ball through the back line found him with a clear shot to the right of the right hand post, but his shot left a lot to be desired.
Tomassen fired the ball low into the near post on 42 and it was put behind for a corner. Nightingale picked up a booking for a late sliding challenge on Opoku on 42 and from the ensuing play Newton got a header on target but it looped into the hands of McKibbin. But the visitors opened the scoring when Deacey fed the ball through the Lambs back line to Walshaw to fire home from 18 yards past Belshaw (0-1, 45 mins)
One minute added time was shown at the end of the half which ended with a booking for Hardy.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Farsley Celtic

Tamworth restarted proceedings but a foul on the edge of the D set up Celtic in the 47th minute with a freekick which Walker curled high over the bar.
The Lambs put pressure on as the second half minutes ticked by and a corner threatened the Celtic goal on 54 but no one was able to force the ball home.
Dyer replaced Taylor to give The Lambs more height up front but they were given a mountain to climb when the Tamworth defence allowed Marshall to prod the ball through to Walshaw who turned and fired the chance past Belshaw (0-2, 57 mins)
Farsley added another goal on 62 through Marshall who picked up the ball on the right of the D and slotted into the far left corner. (0-3, 62 mins)
Belshaw then denied Walshaw his hat-trick with a brave stop at his feet after the forward found himself free around the penalty spot with the ball and goal his mercy.
Newton was booked following a close challenge with the Farsley keeper on 74 and Pace replaced Smith on 80.
On 85 Farsley threatened again when Marshall beat his man and although Tamworth tried to clear it fell back to Walshaw who turned and rifled the ball home from 6 yards out for his hat-trick (0-4, 85 mins) to wrap up a dire night for The Lambs.
Burns struck from distance and forced McKibbin into his first telling save of the game as two minutes added time was shown.
Newton managed a header on target before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw (c.), Burns, Morley, Smith (Pace 80), Jones, Tomassen, Briscoe, Newton, Taylor (Dyer 56), Opoku (Wright 72)
Subs: Jezeph, Lane

YC: Taylor 33, Newton 74

Farsley Celtic Team:

McKibbin, Hardy, Daly (Hazel 86), Turner, Savory, Miller (c.), Nightingale, Marshall, Walshaw (Clayton 86), Deacey, Walker
Subs: Howarth, Davidson, Lofthouse

YC: Nightingale 42, Hardy 45

Attendance: 371

Referee: Mr. M. Donohue

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures