Search results to follow...

Season ends with a comeback victory

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Altrincham

29 April 2017

For the last time in 2016-17, The Lambs ran out at the GST Gas Services Stadium to face already relegated Altrincham who unveiled their new manager Phil Parkinson 24 hours prior to kick off.

It had been announced that Lambs boss Andy Morrell had signed a new 2 year deal in the week and the squad played their final fixture in the new 2017-18 Macron kit, sponsored by Bradley Scott Windows. Morrell made two changes to the side that ran out winners at Stalybridge with Jack Lane out injured and Brandon Fox on the bench Paul Green came in alongside Callum Powell, both influential subs at Bower Fold.

Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street end in the first half and the first chance on target came via a header from Taylor on the right of the area.
At the other end Reeves forced Jezeph in a good one handed parry to keep the game goalless on 10.
On 15 Evans brought down Burns in front of the away dugout and the same players clashed on 18 but on both occasions the freekick came to nothing.
Jezeph made another fine stop on 19 when Altrincham forced a corner and the ball came back out to Taylor who’s low shot made its way through the crowded box and the keeper pushed it away to safety.
On 32 Newton forced Deasy into a save at his near post and from the corner Jones shot was cleared off the line allowing The Robins to break, and they took full advantage with Lawrie firing home from 18 yards. (0-1 33 mins)
Jezeph prevented a second shortly after with a reflex save following a combination of Reeves and Moult turned the ball goalward at the keeper’s left hand post.
At the other end a floated cross was just missed by the head of Newton at the far post on 35 and Tamworth put the ball in the net on 38 but it had already been ruled out for a push in the build up.
Deeney headed over the target from a 44th minute corner on the left and when the unspecified amount of injury time ran down the Lambs retired to the changing rooms with the fans looking for better things in the second half.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Altrincham

A header from Jones in the 47th minute forced Deasy into the first action of the second half, pushing the ball over the bar for a corner which came to nothing.
Deasy then denied Styche with another good save as The Lambs looked to get back into the game quickly and they did just that when Powell hit the back of the net on 52 with an angled drive from the left of the box that nestled inside the far post (1-1, 52 mins)
There were shouts for a penalty for The Lambs on 58 when the visiting defence appeared to climb all over Jones but nothing was given.
Clee was booked on 63 an from the freekick Newton received the ball and fired just off target, although the flag was already up.
On 68 Deasy was unable to continue so Clee went in goal and McWilliams came into the fray in midfield.
A fine chipped pass through ball from Newton nearly paid off for Styche but Clee was quickly out and cleared the danger on 73, and Powell took a tumble on 74 but there was no penalty awarded.
Newton bagged his 29th of the season on 74 with a far post volley from Morley’s deep ball from the left into the box to give The Lambs the lead (2-1, 74 mins) and Morrell made a double change on 77.
Hobson’s long range drive on 79 struck the top of the cross bar and the same player headed off target on 81 although Jezeph was not troubled quite so much by the latter.
Ben Fox forced Clee into a save under his bar on the angle which nearly fell invitingly for Dyer, but it was too quick and long for the sub. Clarke replaced Deeney for the final few minutes of the game and there was a loud cheer when the final MOM of the season was announced.
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Newton tried to get his head onto but was forced away from the target.
Hobson escaped a red card after lashing out on 93 and The Lambs made one last wave of attack but the final whistle blew on a final three points of the season.

Tamworth Team:
Jezeph, Burns, Morely, Deeney (Clarke 85), Jones, Green (c.), Powell, Fox (Ben), Newton, Styche (Dyer 77), Taylor (Fox (Brandon) 77)
Subs: Davies, Belshaw

Altrincham Team:

Deasy (McWilliams 68), Dunsmore (c.), Brownhill, Taylor, Heathcote, Moult, Lawrie, Richman, Evans (Hobson HT), Reeves, Clee (in goal 63)
Subs: Hannigan, Owens, McDonald

YC: Clee 63, Hobson 90

Attendance: 902

Man of the Match: TFC Supporters Club chose Dan Jezeph

Referee: Mr. D. Bourne

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures