Search results to follow...

Newtons 20th sinks Trinity

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Gainsborough Trinity

18 March 2017

Tamworth returned to the GST Gas Services Stadium at The Lamb after last minute defeat at FCUM seven days previously and welcomed Gainsborough who had stunned Tamworth by coming back from 2 goals down at Northolme to record a 2-3 victory earlier in the season as 8th took on 20th.

Andy Morrell made two changes to the side from the game in Manchester with Ross Dyer and Paul Green making way for Jed Davies and Reece Styche.

Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street End in the first half and Newton’s first time shot almost earned him an early 26th birthday present but the outside of the far post denied him.
As the light rain persisted, the home side kept the ball in the Trinity half and a long kick by Belshaw forced Beatson to glance a header behind for a corner on 4 but Jones’ far post header went out for a goalkick.
Styche spotted visiting keeper Willis off his line on 5 and nearly beat him with a shot from inside the Tamworth half but it wasn’t quite high enough to dip over and the keeper parried it down a yard off the line. In the first real attack by the visitors, a teasing cross from Bailey-King on the right on 13 was met by the head of Evans just past the far post and he didn’t manage to get it on target.
Then Newton headed home a Morley ball in from the left but it was ruled out for offside.
Styche forced a right sided corner on 17 and Davies ball into Lane was flicked behind for another on the left and when Lane was tumbled down Styche picked up a booking for protesting the lack of a penalty.
Styche was then bundled over and Morley struck the dead ball low and hard on target forcing Willis to push the ball round the post for a corner.
Newton was unlucky from the flag kick with a header that was blocked as it powered towards the target.
Newton and Styche combined but the latter were foiled by the keeper and from the corner Jones header caused problems in the Gainsborough defence as Tamworth continued with almost relenting pressure.
A strong run from Taylor and neat step over from Styche saw the latter strike the ball into the side netting from the right of the box on 30.
Fox tried a low shot from the edge of the area on 31 which Willis smothered easily and Chippendale was booked for clattering Lane on 33.
And Beaton was booked for a blatant push in the back and the freekick went into the far post, was headed back by Jones into the mixer and Newton rifled it into the net with a right footed strike – his 20th of the season (1-0, 35 mins)
Davies tried a delicate chip over Willis on 39 from Syche’s threaded ball down the left but the keeper tipped it wide of the post.
Evans was booked despite Trinity being awarded a freekick on 45 and one minute added time was hown as the ball whipped into the box before being cleared, and the whistle blew for the break.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Gainsborough Trinity

Gainsborough restarted proceedings and nearly equalised in the 47th minutes when first Worsford and then Chippendale were denied by Belshaw in quick succession as it seemed to be a different Trinity side that had emerged from the changing rooms as The Lambs found themselves forced to work a lot harder than they had in the first half.
Taylor’s ball into the centre from the left was just missed by Styche and Newton as it skipped through the area on 55 and a deep freekick from the half way line from Morley was headed down by Newton and allowed The Lambs to keep the ball at the clubhouse end of the ground.
But Trinity worked hard to orce a corner on the right on 61 which Newton had to head away from the far post for another on the left which came to nothing.
Newton spotted Willis off his line on 65 and sent the ball over the keeper but just wide of the far post.
Clarke tried his luck from 25 yards on 66 but it was easy for Willis before the visitors made their second change.
Styche fed Newton with a low pass into the left of the area on 70 but his shot was off target before the former was replaced by Powell.
Powell set Newton up with a touch then a shot from a left sided pass on 74 which was blocked by the Gainsborough defence and the roles were reversed on 75 with Powell forcing a save from Willis.
Visiting boss Dave Frecklington was sent from the dugout on 78 and Evans, who as already in the book, was told to calm down by the referee after conceding a freekick on the Lambs left wing which Morley fired into the area and it fell to Powell but his shot went well wide of the far post.
Powell forced a corner on the left on 82 as the nippy winger caused more problems.
Dyer replaced Taylor on 84 as Gainsborough looked for an equaliser but four minutes added time came quickly in to view.
Chilaka was penalised for a blatant handball 25 yards out in line with the penalty spot on 93 and Fox curled it over the wall into the arms of Willis.
With the seconds ticking away MOM Jones conceded a corner and headed it away as the final whistle blew on victory.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Fox, Jones, Lane, Davies, Clarke, Newton, Taylor (Dyer 84), Styche (Powell 70)
Subs: Jezeph, Green, Deeney

YC: Styche 18

Gainsborough Trinity Team:

Wilis, Jacklin, Beatson, Nyoni, Wilson (c.), Evans (Wiles 87), Bailey-King, Tempest, Worsford (Chilaka 67), Thewliss (Jarman 58), Chippendale
Subs: Salt, Nicholson

YC: Chippendale 33, Beatson 35, Evans 45, Wilson 87

Attendance: 553

Man of the Match: Andy Turland chose Luke Jones

Referee: Mr S. Mather

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures