Search results to follow...

Added time woe for Lambs

FT: FC United of Manchester 1    0 Tamworth

11 March 2017

On the back of the 2-0 home win over (Salford) City at The Lamb seven days previously, Tamworth travelled to face another Manchester club, this time fan-led United side on their own turf.

Karl Marginson’s FCUM side came into the game having only lost one of their last four league games, and defeated play off hopefuls Kidderminster Harriers in their last run out.
Andy Morrell made one change to the starting XI that netted twice against City with Steph Morley taking the place of Jed Davies, who sat alongside new signing Callum Powell and Reece Styche, returning from suspension.

FCUM got the game underway, with Tamworth attacking the large terrace end as they had done in 2015-16 when Elliot Durrell scored after 4 minutes.
The Lambs won a couple of early corners but were unable to test Carnell in the home goal with the pressure and at the other end United broke through but the offside flag denied an early breakthrough.
With the home faithful in good voice and sharing the terrace with the travelling Lambs applauded Burns tackle to prevent Wolfeneden as sight on goal on 10, while Dyer whipped a low shot across the face of Carnell’s box in the next move.
On 18 a run by Wolfenden fed Lowe on the right front edge of the box and he was tripped by Fox and Lowe fired the deadball over the bar, right footed.
A push in the back by Lane on Arnison gave Sheridan the ball to fire into the box on 23 but it was cleared from danger and back to Carnell who launched it long forward again as the home side enjoyed a spell of pressure.
Arnison found himself in the box with the ball at his feet and the goal seemingly at his mercy on 28 but The Lambs had played the offside trap perfectly and the flag denied a shot.
A Morley freekick from the right wing on 32 and it was flicked past the far post without troubling the home keeper as chances continued to be at a very high premium and a Morley corner on 40 went too long for anyone to pick up at the far post as the stalemate continued.
Green tried to bear down on a loose ball back to Carnell on 44 but the keeper was just quickest to it and one minute added time was shown before the HT whistle blew.

HT: FC United of Manchester 0    0 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted proceedings and the ball moved around the ground quickly once again and when it was whipped in from the left wing by Morley on 48 Green’s diving header from the right of the six yard box went just over the bar.
Green was replaced by Styche on 53 and Tamworth reorganised the front line to accommodate him, Newton and Dyer.
He whipped the ball across the six yard box in the next Lambs move and some neat interplay saw the same player set up Morley but he dragged his hopeful low shot-come-ball into the box off target.
The first direct shot on target came on 59 when Fox struck low from distance which Carnell took easily.
Clarke spotted Carnell off his line on 61 but his shot from the halfway line went wide of the mark by some distance and FC then made two changes.
Fox was booked for a pull on Wright on 63 and on 67 Belshaw had to stretch to gather the goal-bound rising shot from Corbett.
Taylor was replaced by Davies on 68 and Newton was fed the ball in the box but the covering defenders and the keeper kept him from get a shot away.
At the other end sub Gilchrist drilled the ball low into the area and Burns slid in to get it away and from a corner all heads went up but the ball was directed high and over the target.
Powell made his Lambs debut, replacing Dyer, on 75 and slotted into the right of midfield.
Styche cut in from the left wing and to the edge of the box on 82 but fired low and wide of the near post with Carnell covering his goal.
Newton forced a close range save from Carnell on 84 but the flag had already been raised and would have denied him his 30th Lambs career goal.
FC substitute Greaves was set up with a shot at goal down the right channel on 89 but fluffed his shot, as did Gilchrist into the terracing and four minutes added time were shown.
Belshaw did superbly well do get down to a low strike from Gilchrist on 92, and he punched it clear of danger in the next United wave of attack, but he could do nothing to deny Lowe on 90+4 – the shot coming from 30 yards out and powering into the net with Belshaw in full flight as cruel but spectacular way to end the game from a Lambs perspective. (0-1, 90+4)

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Fox, Jones, Lane, Green (Styche 53), Clarke, Newton, Dyer (Powell 75), Taylor (Davies 68)
Subs: Jezeph, Briscoe

YC: Fox 63

FC United of Manchester Team:
Carnell, Williams, Sheridan (Wilkinson 66), Kay, Corbett, Ashworth, Wolfenden, Lowe, Arnison (Gilchrist 62), Wright (capt.), Thomson
(Greaves 61)
Subs: Brown, Glynn

Attendance: 2407

Referee: Mr. W. Finnie

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures