Search results to follow...

Fylde coast home after early strike

FT: AFC Fylde 3    1 Tamworth

25 February 2017

Tamworth travelled to Mill Farm the new home of AFC Fylde for the first time, while remnants of Storm Doris blew around the Lancashire coastline.
After the 1-0 reversal at struggling Telford seven days previously Tamworth faced 10 point clear, top of the table opposition on their home turf but came into the game with the knowledge that a single Danny Newton goal had given them victory over the two sides at The Lamb earlier in the season and that second placed Salford, who the Lambs also beat on their own turf, hammered them 5-0 a couple of games previously.

Andy Morrell made three changes to the Telford starting XI with Belshaw coming back in for Jezeph, Fox replacing the injured Deeney and Taylor startuig his first game in 12, with Briscoe taking a place on the bench.
For the Coasters, former Lambs Dan Bradley and Brendon Daniels started while Richie Baker sat on the bench of the wannabe champions.
Fylde kicked off proceedings and Burns brought Daniels down on the left after 30 seconds and from the dead ball Williams diverted the ball into the far corner with Belshaw at full stretch but unable to keep it out.
Tamworth pushed forward from the restart and a ball into the box from the left was met by the head of Newton and went past keeper Taylor, but a push in the build up ruled it out despite loud protests from the travelling faithful.
On 18 it was 2-0 to the Coasters as Dixon threaded it to Wilson and he squared it into the box for Rowe to roll home his 41st goal of the season (0-2).
A foul by Fox on the Fylde left wing set Daniels up with another freekick on 25 and Belshaw was forced to parry a bullet header from Williams as play was stopped for shirt pulling.
Bond sent the ball through the middle for Rowe and Dixon but they both saw shots blocked and from the resulting corner from Daniels Belshaw was happy for the ball to drop line a stone at his feet.
Bradley found himself with the ball at his feet at the far post on the half hour but his shot was off target.
The Lambs defence put it out for a corner though and Daniels found Wiliams past the far post but his header was easy for Belshaw.
A deep freekick from Morley from the right wing on 33 went over the bar by a couple of feet with keeper Taylor at full stretch.
In the next move forwards, Dyer flicked the ball through for Connor Taylor down the left channel into the box and his cross to the far post was expertly headed down and home past the keeper to make it 1-2 on 35.
A deep ball from Morley into the far post was aimed and met by Lane but his header went off a Coasters defender for a corner which came to nothing.
Taylor spotted his namesake off his line on 43 but lifted his attempted equaliser from 30 yards over the bar.
At the other end a ball in from Rowe was headed over the target by Daniels and a minimum of one minute added time was shown at the end of the first half.

HT: AFC Fylde 2    1 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted the game and were quickly awarded a freekick on the left which Morley fired into the box and Lane headed just wide of the far post.
On 51 the ball fell to Green in the area and he pushed it slightly wide of the penalty spot to Fox but he was always under pressure and his shot was off target.
Williams and Rowe both missed the bouncing shot from Daniels which went out past the far post on 55 and Belshaw did superbly to prevent Bond a couple of minutes later.
With biker and reality TV star Carl Foggarty watching on from the main stand, Morley fired a dead ball into the box again but Green was unable to direct his far post header inside the woodwork on 58.
A deflected shot from Rowe looped up and eventually over Belshaw’s bar on 63 but had to be watched by the keeper and the home side’s corner was unusually poor, giving The Lambs the ball back quickly.
A flowing move out of the Fylde midfield resulted in a third goal when Dixon crossed from the right under pressure and captain Bond headed inside the near post despite the best efforts of Belshaw to keep the ball out (1-3, 66 mins)
Daniels picked up a yellow card for a late tackle on Fox on the halfway line on 74 and when Dyer picked up the ball in the left of the area from the freekick he struck for goal and well and truly rattled the cross bar but it rebounded down and out to Fox who bent his shot off target.
Opoku replaced Clarke for the final 14 and Davies and Briscoe replaced Green and Taylor for the final 10.
Belshaw can’t have seen much when Maguire struck for goal on 86 but he did manage to parry it away for a corner which Opoku headed clear as the home side turned up the heat for the final few minutes.
Dyer threaded to through to Opoku and he forced a corner on the left on 88 but it was poor from Briscoe and Daniels broke clear to the half way line as four minutes added time were shown and although there were a couple of low shots from Briscoe that failed to trouble keeper Taylor, Fylde ran out winners.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Fox, Jones, Lane, Green (Briscoe 84), Clarke (Opoku 76), Newton, Dyer, Taylor (Davies 84)

Subs: Davis, Jezeph

AFC Fylde Team:

Taylor, Wilson, Jones, Maguire, Williams, Bond (Finley 82), Dixon, Hughes, Rowe, Bradley, Daniels (Hughes 90)

Subs: Baker, Kennedy, Blinkhorn

YC: Daniels 74

Attendance: 1572

Referee: Mr. P. Brown

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures