Search results to follow...

Lambs unable to topple Telford

FT: AFC Telford United 1    0 Tamworth

18 February 2017

After Lincoln City of the Vanarama National League had making history at Burnleyin the Emirates FA Cup, the 7th positioned Vanarama National League North and play-off spot chasing Lambs travelled the short distance to the New Bucks Head to take on 18th placed Telford who were battling with the distinct possibility of relegation.

Andy Morrell was unable to select Reece Styche after his sending off at The Lamb seven days previously so Louis Briscoe came into the starting eleven and Connor Taylor made a return to the side after injury, taking a place on the bench. Meanwhile Dan Jezeph made his third start as keeper while James Belshaw continued to work back towards full fitness.

Celebrating his birthday, Telford boss, and former Lamb, Rob Smith had two former Tamworth players on his books, but Dan Preston did not feature and Dave Hibbert was on the bench, while Lee Hughes who had scored for Worcester against the Lambs a fortnight previously, started for The Bucks.

Telford got the game underway with The Lambs In yellow and red, and the first chance of the game fell to Hughes who headed straight at Jezeph from a left sided cross.
Jezeph booted the ball out of the ground just to make sure Hughes didn’t get anywhere near it on 5 and Morley’s ball down field to Newton nearly saw the striker set himself up with a chance, but it went back to Urwin.
Burns blocked Dielna’s volley / shot at the far post after Eddie Jones’ cross evaded everyone.
Telford enjoyed more possession with Kissock playing a couple of good balls into the area but the end product was either blocked or way off target.
More work from Kissock set up Samuels with a low ball in on 17 which deflected for a right sided corner and Hughes stooped to head wide of the near post.
Two minutes later the home side took the lead when Dielna delivered deep freekick from the left channel into the far post and McCone headed home under pressure. (0-1, 19 mins)
Dyer was booked for a challenge on the halfway line on 21 and the first real shot from The Lambs came on 25 when Green struck low past the left hand post from the edge of the D.
Tamworth forced their first corner on 29 and it whipped low across the box to Jones but his shot was deflected out for another on the right which Morley fed to Briscoe, but his shot rose over the target.
After 10 minutes of little write home about Tamworth forced a corner on the right which the home side broke from through Dielna on the right, but his ball to Hughes found the striker offside before he fired home only for it to be ruled out.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: AFC Telford United 1    0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted proceedings and quickly won a freekick 30 yards out which Briscoe struck into the arms of Urwin.
Urwin punched a hopeful ball into the box away on 49 but when it was whipped back in looking for Green he was penalised for a clumsy attempted trap of the ball in the box.
Green was then booked after a low challenge on Rea on the half way line which left the Telford man needing treatment although it did seem the Lambs captain had won the ball cleanly before making any contact with the player.
The same player then nearly struck the equaliser after a good low through ball from Newton set him up in the left of the area, but his angled drive towards the far post went just wide of the mark.
There was a brief break in play around the hour as Deeney dealt with cramp and had to be replaced by Opoku.
Jezeph was left exposed when Hughes nipped the ball through the Lambs right but Dielna’s shot only found the side netting on the left of the goal on 64 and Eddie Jones struck from 18 yards into the arms of Jezeph a couple of minutes later.
Newton got a head onto a right sided freekick from Morley on 68 but it went wide of the far post while at the other end Dielna missed another chance after Hughes ball in from the right was only half cleared.
At the other end Newton saw the ball hopped off his toes as he shaped to shoot and when the ball went out of play Davies replaced Dyer for the final 13 minutes.
Former Lamb Hibbert made a nuisance of himself and released Hodge on 83 forcing Jezeph out of his comfort zone to get in the way of Hughes and forced a snap shot which went well of target.
With Hibbert bearing down on goal, Hughes decided to try his luck from the left of the area on 86 but Jezeph denied him with a well timed parry to his left.
Lane was booked for a challenge on Hibbert as five minutes added time was shown and Dielna broght Brusn down as he tried to make strides down the left on 94.
Morley’s freekick was cleared back to him and he struck a bullet of a shot from 35 yards which Urwin caught at the second attempt and there is no late equaliser as Telford take the three points.

Tamworth Team:

Jezeph, Burns, Morley, Deeney (Opoku 62), Jones (c. 73), Lane, Briscoe, Clarke, Newton, Dyer (Davies 77), Green (c.) (Fox 73)
Subs: Davis, Taylor

YC: Dyer 21, Green 50, Lane 90

AFC Telford United Team:

Urwin, Samuels, Higham, Havern, McCone, Rea, Royle, Jones (Hibbert 77), Hughes (Lilly 90), Kissock (Hodge 82), Dielna
Subs: Bailey, Hayden

YC: Dielna 90

Attendance: 1178

Referee: Mr. D. Strain

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures