Search results to follow...

Newtons sweet 16 draws a point

FT: Worcester City 1    1 Tamworth

04 February 2017

After Tuesday night’s disappointing turn out and defeat at the hand of ground-sharing Gloucester City The Lambs made the journey to the Victoria Ground, Bromsgrove to face exiled Worcester City who had lost to Gloucester seven days previously had parted company with their manager in the week.
Andy Morrell made three changes to the side that had been to Cheltenham in midweek; keeper James Belshaw missed his first league game through injury handing Dan Jezeph a debut between the posts while Dan Newton and Louis Briscoe came into the eleven at the expense of Ben Fox and Paul Green.

Tamworth got the game underway and a ball down the right drew Ross out of his goal, handling it out of the box in the process but there was no card and from the freekick Briscoe’s header was taken by the keeper.
Tamworth kept up the pressure and Newton’s header from the edge of the box was easy for Ross, while Briscoe and Newton looked for goalbound headers and a low shot from distance to test Ross around the sixth minute mark, but none bore any fruit.
Jezeph was called into action around the 10 minute mark via an easy right wing cross and a pass back from Burns both of which the keeper dealt with. City forced a corner on 20 through Nelson-Addy’s persistence in the left of the box and Jezeph punched it clear under the bar as the home side enjoyed a bit more of the play than they previously had. More Worcester pressure saw Hughes, Bishop and Nelson-Addy all look for a shot on 25 but the Lambs defence held strong and conceded three corners in quick succession, the middle one forcing Jezeph to be strong and take the ball at height.
The Lambs got the ball into the Worcester box around 35 via Styche and Briscoe but the threat was quickly dealt with and a low shot from Clarke was easy for Ross at his near post.
On 37 Hughes opened the scoring with a superb strike from fully 25-30 yards that left his right boot and curled into the top right corner, there was no question about the quality of the strike but most were left wondering why no one closed him down quicker. (0-1, 37 mins)
Newton struck a cross box shot from the left as Tamworth looked to get back into the game quickly but his strike bounced out past the near post with Ross just about happy to let it go.
A Briscoe freekick on 42 saw Dyer force a new post save from Ross and the follow up from Clarke hit the post, but when the ball came back in Newton was upended by Hutchison and booked for his efforts.
Newton dusted himself down and sent Ross the wrong way from the spot for his 16th goal of the season to make it 1-1 at the break after a minutes added time.

HT: Worcester City 1    1 Tamworth

The second half got underway with Worcester kicking off and The Lambs now playing up the hill and the home side had the low sun to contend with as they went in search of an early goal.
Hughes miskicked a left wing cross on 48 and it was simple for Jezeph, while the same player got caught off side after exploiting an opening at the back.
Styche was penalised for a tussle on the City right and given a stern talking to on 50 but the freekick was cleared quickly by Deeney.
There was little to write home about for the next 10 minutes or so and on 62 a low shot from English forced Jezeph into a close range double stop and when the ball goes out he neededs a visit from the physio but was fine to continue.
A long range strike from Weir failed to trouble Jezeph on 67 and Hughes whipped in a dangerous cross from the left which Burns booted clear on 68 as the home side enjoyed more of the ball.
The referee stopped play when Burns held onto Hughes but Nelson-Addy’s freekick was cleared. Green replaced Deeney on 73 and his clean orange boots made him unmissable in the middle of the park.
Newton tried a shot on the turn on 76 which went just wide of the right hand upright with Ross diving but unable to stop it, and Morley loaded a cross on 77 which came out of the box and Digie upended Dyer to earn him the second yellow of the game.
Opoku replaced Styche with 11 to play and in the next move Hughes handled the ball earning himself a booking too.
Newton strayed just offside to head Green’s chip to the far post wide of the opposite post on 81 as Morrell urged his players on from the touchline.
And on 83 Newton struck left footed from the left channel but the ball rose over the target. Jones hung onto Bishop on the edge of the area on 86 and went in to the referee’s note book before Steele struck the deadball.
It went over the wall and looked to be dipping under the cross bar but Jezeph pushed it over the bar for a corner which caused some problems at the back.
Briscoe was booked for a challenge as Worcester advanced in added time but freekick struck the Lambs wall and the final whistle blew on a point a piece.

Tamworth Team:

Jezeph, Burns, Morley, Deeney (Green 73), Jones (c.), Lane, Briscoe, Clarke, Newton, Dyer (Davies 90), Styche (Opoku 79)
Subs: Fox, Davis

YC: Jones 87, Briscoe 90

Worcester City Team:

Ross, Chambers, Weir, Keane, Hutchison, Digie (Evans 79), Steele (90), English, Hughes (c.), Bishop, Nelson-Addy
Subs: Oji, Jackman, Gallinagh

YC: Hutchison 37, Digie 78, Hughes 80

Attendance: 531

Referee: Mr. M. Rawcliffe

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures