Search results to follow...

Back to winning ways

FT: Tamworth 3    2 Curzon Ashton

07 January 2017

Tamworth started the New Year with a home game against bottom half side Curzon Ashton who The Lambs had defeated 5-1 earlier in the season. However ‘the Nash’ arrived with one of the best away records in the league, and Andy Morrell was unable to select leading scorer Danny Newton who sat out the game through injury.

The Lambs kicked off the game, attacking the away end in the first half, where around 20 travelling Nash’s drummed the teams into action.
Most of the early play was in the Curzon half as The Lambs pushed forward but there were no clear strikes at Mason in the visiting goal.
An Ashton corner on the left earned them on e on the other side on 10 and Burns did well to head it away from the near post under pressure.
On 13 a good move up the field saw the ball played into Mills’ feet but he was upended by Baillie and referee Wooton had no hesitation pointing to the spot.
Mills despatched the spot kick past Mason, sending the keeper the wrong way to give Tamworth the lead (1-0, 14 mins)
From the restart Hampson struck a powerful effort from the left channel just wide of the post, while Briscoe struck low from the right of the box and his shot whistled past the far post.
Calls for a Curzon penalty were waved away by the referee, while at the other end Clarke glanced a header on target from Mills’ ball in, but it was not to difficult for Mason to gather.
A foul on the half way line caused the referee to speak to the away dugout shortly before the half hour mark and a long range strike from Tomsett flew harmless high and wide shortly after.
On 43 the Lambs made it 2-0 when Mills corner fell invitingly for Clarke to place his header inside the near post from 8 yards out. (2-0, 43 mins)
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 2    0 Curzon Ashton

Curzon got the game back underway as the visiting boss, John Flanagan, made is way round the ground to watch the second half from the main stand.
The visitors started brightly and penned The Lambs defence back but Tamworth soon weathered the storm and visiting captain Brown was booked as the pressure switched ends.
On 57, Briscoe fired a shot which deflected out for a corner on the right which came to nothing.
Davies replaced Fox and Curzon made a couple of changes as the visitors continued to have the majority of the possession in the Lambs half.
On 69 Briscoe hit a snap shot which went just wide of the mark, and at then a mix up at the back between Burns and Belshaw saw the keeper scampering back to prevent the slowly rolling ball from going over the line, which he did a few feet from the goalmouth.
A booking was handed to Deeney on 72 and Curzon pressed from the freekick, but play quickly switched and Briscoe sprinted over the half way line, feeding Mills the ball, but he was pushed wide and the move broke down.
Then Hall curled a shot into the back of the net from 18 yards with Belshaw at full stretch to prevent it going inside his left hand upright (2-1, 75 mins)
But on 79, Dyer restored the advantage with a header into the back of the net from 8 yards from Davies right sided corner (3-1, 79 mins).
A freekick from Baillie found Stott on 85 and his shot was parried then cleared by the defence and The Lambs made a couple of changes as the clock ran down.
On 90 Curzon Ashton pulled one back from a low cross from the right which was turned home by Cummins to make it 3-2 and a minimum 5 minutes added time was shown.
Burns picked up a booking conceding a freekick on the left of the D in the 94th minute and a deflection took it past the post from Ennis’s deadball before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley , Deeney, Jones, Tomassen, Mills (Tomassen 85), Clarke, Briscoe (Opoku 88), Dyer, Fox (Davies 58)
Subs: Morrell, Dodd

YC: Deeney 72, Burns 90

Curzon Ashton Team:

Mason, Rowney, Guest (Jennings 77), Hunt, Stott, Hampson, Baillie, Tomsett (Hall 62), Cummins, Brown (c.), Wright (Ennis 62)
Subs: Burton, Clarke

YC: Hunt 44, Brown 52

Attendance: 568

Man of the Match: Louis Briscoe

Referee: Mr. R. Wooton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures