Search results to follow...

Lambs come back twice to draw at the Nest

FT: Farsley Celtic 2    2 Tamworth

26 November 2016

Tamworth took a break from their six match unbeaten run (5 wins and a draw against Stockport on Tuesday) to travel to high flying Evostik Division 1 North side Farsley Celtic at a very foggy Throstle’s Nest.
Boss Andy Morrell made four changes to the side that had come back twice in the week to record a point with a number of players carrying knocks, including leading scorer and recently announced ‘Jamie Vardy V9 academy’ player Dan Newton who picked up a knock against County.

The Lambs could see themselves a bit better In the yellow away kit under the floodlights than the home side could in their home blue strip and they kicked off into the mist and fog.
Farsley had the first chance of the game but were denied a shot from the left of the box by the offside flag in the second minute.
Davies nearly connected with a flick through the home back line on 6 but McKibbin was quickest to the ball, and he batted the ball down from a corner on 15, the next bit of meaningful action.
Briscoe and Davies saw shots blocked on 16 and the former’s ball into the danger area was easily taken by the keeper on 17.
A strong run down the left resulted in a blocked shot from Briscoe on 18, and The Lambs continued to hold the balance of power.
On 21 Dyer header into the arms of McKibbin and Clarke sliced a shot from 25 yards well wide of the mark shortly afterwards, as the fog continued to cause problems with visibility.
The home sides pressed though and a deflected shot from 18 yards won them a corner on the left on 26 which Belshaw took low at his near post.
The Lambs keeper got in the way of Walshaw on 31 and did enough to put him off his header at the near post.
Tamworth forced a corner on the right on 34 and Smith’s ball into the box was put behind for another flag kick on the left which Briscoe received back but Farsley cleared.
Briscoe knocked the ball to Dyer who set up Tomassen with a low shot on 40 which McKibbin smothered at the second attempt.
Nightingale had half a sight on goal on 43 but was unable to pick his spot from 20 yards and the ball flew wide of the left hand post. One minute added time was shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: Farsley Celtic 0    0 Tamworth

The second half kicked off with virtually no fog and Tamworth forced a corner on 48 which fell to Briscoe and he shot just wide of the mark.
The Lambs midfielder made a nuisance of himself again on 50 but was penalised for a push before his shot cleared the target by some distance.
At the other end, Walshaw put pressure on the home defence and forced Belshaw to clear his lines after beating the back two to the ball on 54.
Tamworth failed to clear their lines on 55 though on the same player wriggled through the left of the box and fired low under Belshaw to put the home side ahead (0-1, 55 mins) and almost immediately Walshaw nearly bagged his second but his dipping shot which beat Belshaw came back off the crossbar.
The home side continued their pressure with Nightingale forcing Belshaw into a diving save to his left on 58, pushing the ball round the post for a corner.
Newton replaced Clarke on 61 and on 65 he burst through to take a shot at McKibbin but a foul stopped play.
Tomassen equalised on 70 with a shot from the left of the box that found it’s way into the bottom right corner past the dive of the home keeper (1-1, 70 mins)
Sub Opoku went close on 75 when Newton whipped the ball in from the left of the box and it was a whisker from the U21’s boot.
Newton headed over the bar on 79 and Farsley forced a corner after some tricky attacking play down the left but Belshaw was first to the dead ball.
Briscoe crossed from the right and Newton’s header went goalward but was put behind for a corner which Davies saw headed away for a throw.
Davies crossed in a neither Dyer or Opoku could get a clean shot away.
Newton then set up Briscoe and the keeper blocked it well from close range before Howarth headed the return ball away from danger.
Less than 10 minutes after coming on, Celtic sub Hazel found himself with time to unleash an unstoppable and glorious finish from 25 yards past the Lambs keeper's outstretched dive to his right (1-2, 89 mins)
Belshaw came up for a last minute corner and headed goalward but it was blocked and cleared away and then, in the fourth minute of added time, Newton knoced the ball skillfyully past the last man on the left wing and cut into the box before firing past the keeper into the far corner to earn a replay at The Lamb on Tuesday night.(2-2, 90+4 mins)

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw (c.), Burns, Tomassen, Smith, Jones, Lane, Briscoe, Clarke (Newton 61), Taylor (Opoku 67), Dyer, Davies
Subs: Morley, Wright, Jezeph

Farsley Celtic Team:
McKibbin, Hardy, Howarth, Turner, Savory, Miller (c.), Nightingale (Davidson 88), Daly (Marshall 79), Walshaw, Deacey (Hazel 80), Walker
Subs: Clayton, Lofthouse

Attendance: 227

Referee: Mr. G. Hart

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures