Search results to follow...

Lambs comeback for number five

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Stalybridge Celtic

19 November 2016

The 5th placed Lambs returned home after the 4-3 comeback victory over Harrogate looking to make it 5 wins in a row against 21st placed Celtic in what looked to be another winnable fixture on paper at least, but as we all know, football is not played on paper.
Boss Andy Morrell made one change to the side that ran out at Wetherby Road seven days previously, with Ellis Deeney out injured Louis Briscoe came into the starting eleven.

Celtic got the game underway attacking the Castle End in the first half and forced a corner which put some early pressure on the home defence but it was short lived.
Newton sprinted through and was awarded a freekick in the left channel which Mills planted into the awaiting grasp of visiting keeper Shenton.
Play was brought back when Heaton brought down Briscoe midway inside the Stalybridge half on 5 and Clarke set up a previously untried freekick with didn’t quite come off.
A superb pass from Clarke to Newton found the striker on the right but with his options limited so a switch between Mills and Briscoe allowed the latter to shoot but his options were reduced and the resulting shot saved easily.
Bagshaw picked up a booking for blocking a freekick on 9 and play continued with Tamworth frustrating and being frustrated by the Celtic defence.
The visitors were handed a freekick in front of the home dugout on 21 but Mather’s effort was easy for Belshaw to gather.
At the other end Shenton did well to get up to a high Burns cross, with Newton bearing down on him. A straight red card was shown to Mather on 24 when he went into a challenge with Clarke with both feet up and made partial contact with the Lambs midfielder, forcing Celtic to make a change.
Belshaw denied a right sided shot from Hine on 29 and at the other end Mills made a strong run but was tripped by sub Hall who was booked.
From the resulting corner Newton placed his header just wide of the left hand post.
Morley’s ball into the box on 33 was just too hard for Newton to get a meaningful touch and so play switched and Belshaw was forced to save well to deny both Spencer and then Chippendale with the follow up.
Jones was forced to concede a corner nipping the ball off the toes of the Celtic attacker on 38 and a misclearance gave the visitors a second attempt from the flag which Spencer headed wide.
Newton then forced a corner on the left on 42 with a blocked shot and Mills’ flagkick was cleared, but The Lambs kept up the pressure until Clarke’s ball ran out of play past Taylor. Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the half and Hine found space for force a low save from Belshaw at his near post.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Stalybridge Celtic

Tamworth restarted the game full of attacking impetus but the opening goal went to Celtic on 49 when a ball back towards Belshaw was not dealt with by Lane or Jones and Spencer nipped in and took full advantage, rolling it home past the keeper. (0-1, 49 mins)
A Briscoe freekick into the box on 54 was headed behind for a left sided corner which was put behind for one on the opposite side and then headed behind by Clarke for a goal kick.
As Davies warmed up to come on, Celtic took a flagkick on the right which went long and out for a throw and he came on to replace Briscoe.
Then, on 65, Davies fed Mills who in turn headed it on for Newton who took great delight in rifling home from the left of the box to make it 1-1 Tamworth won the ball back from the restart and in the next move Mills was sent into the box with the ball at his feet and upended by the Celtic defence resulting in a penalty which he took himself and buried into the right of the goal past Shenton (2-1, 66 mins)
Morley struck from distance on 70 and forced Shenton to push the ball out for a corner but it was quickly cleared and a foul gave Stalybridge some respite.
Taylor made way for Smith on 76 and on 78 he placed the ball into the box from the right only to see the Celtic defence clear it away for a corner which was headed over the bar by Lane.
A foul on the Tamworth left wing set up Mils with the dead ball on 82 and he curled the ball into the box just above the heads of the Lambs players who agonisingly watched it go out past the far post.
There was a hearts in mouth moment on 83 when Celtic made Tamworth clear the ball away out of the six yard box in a near comical fashion.
Heaton was booked for a foul outside the box on 84 as Tamworth went in search of a third, and although the numerical disadvantage meant the visitors had to work a little harder, there was no let up in their effort either as the minutes ticked by.
A Lambs corner in the five minutes added time was cleared but a foul on keeper Shenton by Lane resulted in a booking.
There were further booking for Mills and Chippendale after a tussle by the dugouts.
Chippendale unleashed a drive which Belshaw did superbly to save low to his left and Shenton came up for the corner as Tomassen replaced Mills shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw (c.), Burns, Morley, Briscoe (Davies 62), Jones, Lane, Mills (Tomassen 90), Clarke, Newton, Dyer, Taylor (Smith 76)
Subs: Opoku, Wright

YC: Lane 90, Mills 90

Stalybridge Celtic Team:

Shenton, Morton, Mather, Hughes (c.), Heaton, McKnight (Wilkins 86), Hine, Gee, Spencer (Owens 67), Bagshaw (Hall 27), Chippendale
Subs: Summerskill, Platt

YC: Bagshaw 9, Heaton 84, Chippendale 90
RC: Mather 24

Attendance: 702

Man of the Match: Building Design Group chose Danny Newton

Referee: Mr R. Massey-Ellis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures