Search results to follow...

Dyer double sinks City

FT: Salford City 1    2 Tamworth

22 October 2016

After another fortnight without competitive football, split by the friendly against Birmingham City U23s a week ago, The Lambs travelled to Moor Lane, Salford to take on the Class of 92’s much publicised and well performing side on their home turf in the first ever encounter between the two sides.

Tamworth made a number of changes to the side that suffered defeat at Gainsborough, with Ezewele, Clarke and Taylor (making his 99th appearance) coming into the starting eleven while Green sat the match out injured.

Salford got the game underway and took the game to The Lambs straight away but then on 3 Newton was played into the area with the ball at his feet but it was nipped away before he could shape to shoot.
Deeney burst through into the box on 9 but he too was unable to get a shot away before the ball was cleared.
Taylor forced a corner on 12 which Briscoe floated into the area and received it back before Clarke managed a shot which was blocked for Briscoe to try again from the other side.
His ball in was met perfectly by the head of Dyer a couple of yards from goal and he buried the chance to open the scoring (1-0, 13 mins)
Briscoe had to come off on 18 to be replaced by Mills, who took up the right wing position he vacated, although he didn’t look like he was in too much trouble he had motioned to the bench after Dyer had scored.
Play continued but there was little of it in either third of the pitch as both sides tried but were regularly thwarted until the 27th minute when Nottingham connected with a lifted ball back into the area but volleyed over the bar whilst in mid air from 8 yards out.
A right wing shot took a deflection out for a lift sided home corner on the half hour and play was halted from the flag kick for a City foul.
A long range strike from Clarke on 32 was easy for Lynch to take at grass level while at the other end a pass out from Belshaw was picked up and pushed back towards him by Salford but the flag stopped the chance becoming a home equaliser.
Mills and Newton plaed a neat one two but the final ball was hooked away from a few yards out of the target area and Belshaw was forced to leave his area at the other end to defend a quick break by Salford.
City forced a corner on the right on 39 which Newton pushed out for one on the opposite side and Morley headed it away and when the ball came back in defensive bodies flew into the path of the ball to prevent the equaliser.
Newton lost the ball in the middle of the park on 43 and Johnston crossed for Phenix to try a glancing header but he put it wide of the mark as The Lambs continued to try to get to the break with the advantage intact.
City took another corner on 45 and Dyer flicked it away but the ball fell to Poole who forced Belshaw into a low but regulation stop.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the half which couldn’t end soon enough for Tamworth.

HT: Salford City 0    1 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted proceedings and on 49 Newton and Mills combined but the latter dragged his shot wide of the far post and out for a goal kick without troubling Lynch.
At the other end Salford forced another flag kick and the ball eventually fell to Grand but his overhead effort was way off target.
Poole tried a dipping effort from distance on 52 but it dipped to safety over Belshaw’s bar with the keeper at full stretch skyward.
A header from Phenix from the edge of the box went straight into the grip of Belshaw’s gloves on 54 and the same player struck from fully 30 yards on 55 but it went wide of the right hand post.
A Walker freekick on 57 forced a great save from Belshaw and Phenix followed in but it deflected wide.
Jones and sub Hulme tussled on 63 and a Nottingham throw saw the home side keep up the pressure but there was no way through a very stubborn Lambs defence.
Then on 65 the pressure finally told and Grand headed diagonally past Belshaw, placing his finish under the bar from Allens left wing cross into the box (1-1, 65 mins)
But five minutes later Dyer headed home from the back of the box after good work by Newton on the left wing resulted in an inch perfect cross. (2-1, 70 mins)
The offside flag would have prevented Nottingham’s header counting on 75 and it went wide anyway but it was a close call.
Clarke nipped in to clear the danger as Salford and Tamworth worked it forward to feed Mills and his right footed strike would probably have beaten Lynch but cannoned back off the bar.
Newton made headway down the right again on 84 and cut into the box but didn’t spot Dyer rushing in so hopefully prodded the ball goalward but it went out of play past the far post.
Tamworth held the ball up and worked it into the corners as normal time ran down although when Salford did attack it took a brave block from Burns to stop the ball being lashed home.
Three minutes of added time was shown at the end of the game and Salford forced a corner on the right which was headed behind for a goalkick. A corner came on 94 and it was deflected away amidst shouts of handball as the whistle blew on all three points.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw (c.), Burns, Morley, Deeney, Ezewele, Jones, Briscoe (Mills 18), Clarke, Newton, Dyer, Taylor (Tomassen 92)
Subs: Lane, Davies, Pace

Salford City Team:
Lynch, Smalley (Priestley HT), Burton, Grand (c.), Nottingham, Johnston (Hulme 67), Walker, Phenix, Poole, Allen
Subs: Warburton, King, Hine YC: Hulme 90

Attendance: 1351

Referee: Mr. R. Wooton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures