Search results to follow...

Trinity comeback to take all three

FT: Gainsborough Trinity 3    2 Tamworth

08 October 2016

After almost a fortnight without kicking a ball in anger, The Lambs returned to league action with a trip to Northolme to face lower half of the table Gainsborough managed by former Lamb Martin Foster, assisted by another one time Lamb – Dominic Roma.
Andy Morrell made no changes to the side that started the one all draw with FC United although with Anthony Breslin now back at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Andy Morrell found himself on the bench once again.

With Tamworth in their change yellow kit, Gainsborough got the game underway attacking the covered end of the ground and a quick through ball set up an early chance but the offside flag was raised and the strike hit Belshaw’s post.
After the early warning, Newton, making his 50th appearance and Dyer tried to combine to get the ball to feet in the final thirds with Briscoe and Davies also working hard but despite their position in the table Trinity started the brighter.
They forced the first corner on 11 but The Lambs cleared and Davies sent Burns forward.
The ball fell to Briscoe and his midriff height drive forced Willis into a full length save.
Tamworth kept up the pressure and Davies tried his luck from 20 yards but a deflection blocked the shot and disrupted the momentum. On 23 a long range powerful drive from Jarman forced Belshaw into a telling stop to keep it 0-0.
On the half hour Belshaw survived a trip out of his area to clear Deeney’s ricocheted clearance and when the keeper’s clearance also rebounded back the offside flag somehow halted play.
A freekick for the home side 35 yards from goal on 35 was headed behind for a corner by Dyer and the flagkick caused some problems before being booted away.
Tamworth took the lead on 40 when Morley’s cross from the left fell perfectly onto the head of Newton past the penalty spot and his nod back across the box fell inside the near post with Willis at full stretch. (1-0, 40 mins)
Dyer forced the home keeper into a near post block in the next move and from the corner and when the ball fell to Briscoe in the left of the box on 43 he rifled it home inside the near post to double the advantage (2-0, 43 mins)
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half and when a freekick was conceded

HT: Gainsborough Trinity 1    2 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted the game and it wasn’t until the 52nd minute that there was a shot on goal - Morley striking a long range effort into the arms of Willis from the left channel.
A quick break saw Davies feed Newton on 53 but the resulting shot from Newton was tame for Willis to smother.
The keeper denied Newton’s far post close range header with a reactionary save on 55 and punched the resulting flag kick out for another with Gainsborough cleared.
On 63 Jarman made it all square though powering home a strike from past the left hand upright into the heart of the goal after Thewlis had skinned the Lambs defence on the right of the box and set him up with a low ball to feet. (2-2, 63 mins)
Trinity took the lead for the first time in the game on 68 though when substitute Templeton, only on the field for four minutes, fired home past Belshaw from the right of the box. (2-3, 68 mins)
Jarman was denied by Belshaw shortly before Morrell brought himself and Mills into the fray for the final fifteen and Morrell’s flick to Newton was just a little too strong to help set up the number 9 for his second on 83.
Taylor replaced Davies shortly before five minutes added time was shown and despite a couple of half chances coming the way of Morrell and Mills there was no last minute goalmouth action, sending the Lambs home in defeat from the jaws of victory.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones, Lane, Briscoe (Mills 79), Green (c.), Newton, Dyer (Morrell 79), Davies (Taylor 88)
Subs: Tomassen, Ezewele

YC: Briscoe 65

Gainsborough Trinity Team:
Willis, Lacey, Beaton, Sparrow, Evans (Quinn 70), Picton, Reid (Templeton 64), Thornhill, Worsfold (Wiles 65), Jarman (c.), Thewlis
Subs: Hands, Roma

Attendance: 538

Referee: Mr Martin Woods

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures