Search results to follow...

Three points on the board

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Worcester City

09 August 2016

The Lambs welcomed Worcester City onto the 3G for the first competitive game on the new surface, and Morrell made one change after the 0-0 away point at Brackley in the opening fixture.
Danny Newton was unavailable and so Ross Dyer took his place in the number 9 shirt.

Worcester, in green got the game underway, but a very quick foul set up Deeney with a freekick on the right which floated into the box and fell to Green but he was unable to turn it goalward.
The Lambs conceded a corner on 4 but it was over-hit and Tamworth broke forward and forced a freekick to be conceded when Clarke was tripped on the left.
Mills curled it high towards the far post but Ross gathered easily. Hutchinson’s back header fooled Ross on 8 and Tamworth’s corner was cleared and eventually fell to Lane who’s shot from 20 yards went wide of the left hand upright.
Another corner was forthcoming on 11 and Deeney’s corner was headed high and wide by Tomassen.
Both sides struggled to get a hold on the game and as the 20minute mark passes Green indicated to the bench that he was struggling and Briscoe quickly warmed up and came on to replace him, handing captain’s armband to Belshaw.
Murphy spotted an opening on 25 after a Lane pass went astray, but he was unable to get his shot on target and Belshaw was happy to watch it go over the bar.
Mills’ cross from the left for Dyer on 28 nearly but not quite made it to the striker at the far post but a defender got it away with a back header.
A trip by visiting captain Hutchinson on Mills earned him a booking on 31 but Mill#s freekick was taken by Ross.
Powerful effort from Tomassen on 37 was watched into his arms by Ross, but a bit of a curl may have beaten the City keeper.
Clarke was booked on 42 and Hughes flicked the ball toward Belshaw’s goal on 45, but the keeper was equal to it.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended without incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Worcester City

Tamworth restarted proceedings and an early chance fell when the ball was flicked through into the box but the City defence coped well enough.
Mills saw his shot deflected behind for a left sided corner on 49 and it caused problems in the area but couldn’t be forced home before being put behind for a long Tomassen throw which was cleared.
Murphy tried a similar shot to that which he tried in the first half on 52 but again it rose over the bar from 20 yards and failed to trouble Belshaw.
Burns recovered a misplaced header to deny Highes a shot, but conceded the corner in the process on 55 which went behind and out for another on the opposite side.
Briscoe was brought down by Sharpe on 57 and earned a yellow card for his actions.
The freekick was drilled straight at Ross by Mills.
Best chance of the half so far fell to Breslin on 59 but his shot from 18 yards curled wide of the mark.
A foul on Hughes on the right of midfield allowed City to fire the ball into the box on 62 but Belshaw gathered it.
Nelson-Addy made headway into the left of the box on 65 but decided to try his luck rather than try and set up Hughes who was definitely better positioned and flashed his shot across the face of goal and out for a throw in.
A foul by Burns on Murphy on the edge of the area earned Burns a talking too and Nelson-Addy struck the freekick into the arms of Belshaw. Another City freekick on 71 was whipped in from the right and headed behind by English.
Yet another City freekick was awarded shortly after Morrell took to the field, but the dead ball struck the wall. Breslin picked up a booking on 75 as the whistle blew against The Lambs once again and a reactionary double save from Belshaw denied Hughes close range finish.
There were shouts for a penalty when Briscoe was pulled down but a freekick was awarded millimetres outside the box and the same player received the ball back but struck low and wide of the mark.
The deadlock was finally broken on 81 when the ball fell to Lane in the area and he struck it purposefully through the sea of players into the back of the net (1-0)
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game which ended with Tamworth taking all three points.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Breslin, Deeney, Tomassen, Lane, Mills, Clarke, Newton, Green (Briscoe 23), Taylor (Morrell 72)
Subs: Smith, Ezewele, Davies

Booked: Clarke 42, Breslin 75

Worcester City Team:

Ross, Gallinagh, Keane, Hutchinson, Sharpe, Fitzpatrick, Murphy (Bishop 83), English, Hughes, Nelson-Addy, Steele (Chilekwa 84)
Subs: Draper, Jackman, Batchelor

Booked: Hutchinson 31, Sharpe 57

Attendance: 770

Man of the Match: DTE Groundworks Ltd chose Greg Mills

Referee: Mr. D. Middleton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures