Search results to follow...

Lambs unable to halt Pilgrims progress

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Boston United

28 March 2016

Bank Holiday Monday brought the 6th placed Pilgrims of Boston United to face the 5th placed Lambs after the rain drenched defeat at Telford on Easter Saturday and the weather was proving to be just as wet prior to kick off in Tamworth.
Andy Morrell made one change to the side that fell at New Bucks Head, brining Steve Tomassen into the starting eleven at the expense of Ashley Carter.

By the time Boston kicked off, the sun had come out and there were patches of blue showing amongst the clouds and an early freekick prevented an attack on the Castle End by the visitors in green.
There was a brief break in play while Lavelle-Moore changed out of his black cycling shorts and once momentum came back into the match Boston keeper Speiss's miscontrol was not punished when Taylor pounced on the right of the box but he was unable to fire a shot and Newton was unable to finish the chance too.
Felix unleashed a right footed shot from the left of the box on 10 and Belshaw acrobatically pushed it over the bar one handed for a corner, which was cleared.
A Durrell freekick was blocked on 13 and Newton was felled when the ball ran to the right. Play continued at the Meadow Street end and Durrell fired a low cross through the crowded area on 16 as The Lambs kept up the pressure.
Strong forced a corner on the left on 20 but Durrell’s corner came to nothing, following a powerful defensive header out of the box.
A header from Newton forced Speiss to catch at height under his bar on 23 and Belshaw denied Felix‘s low shot from the edge of the area with a reactionary stop with his feet.
Burgess was booked for a foul on the halfway line on Newton, and from the deadball Durrell’s took a deflection for a right sided corner which fell to Green and his shot was booted off the line by Roberts.
Preston nearly connected to Durrell’s low cross from the right and in the next move headed the ball back short to Belshaw who left Felix with an open goal, but The Lambs defence cleared the danger.
From the right sided corner Piergianni connected with the ball but his bullet header was parried away by Belshaw and the game remained goalless.
On 32, Strong’s ball from the left was flicked through to the far post by Dyer but there was no one able to connect to it.
A deep freekick was headed behind by Preston on 35 and eventually cleared, but when play next stopped Green felt he couldn’t continue and was replaced by Jack Dyer.
When Durrell found the ball stuck in the ground and not to his feet on the edge of the D on 40, Hilliard was left with a clear short at goal and he made no mistake with a powerful low finish past Belshaw’s right to open the scoring (0-1, 40)
3 minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half and a break in play followed a clattering tackle on Durrell in the centre circle.
The visitors extended their advantage in the final play of the half when Felix sprinted diagonally into the box after the ball.
Belshaw came out and dived to push it away but the player went over the top and a penalty was awarded.
Southwell struck the spot kick powerfully past the keeper to make it 0-2 at the break.

HT: Tamworth 0    2 Boston United

Tamworth restarted the game and went on the attack immediately but were forced back quickly and United got a corner on the right which floated to the far post and Belshaw tipped it away from danger.
Strong’s shot from the left of the area took a deflection onto the top of the cross bar on 50 while at the other end on 53 Felix got the better of the back four and curled a shot just wide of the left hand upright.
A push by Tomassen on Robbins down the Boston left set up a freekick for Hilliard which went long to the far post for Robbins to head but only out of play for a goal kick.
Newton netted his 10th of the season on 57 after a quickly taken freekick found Strong on the left by the clubhouse and his ball into the area rebounded to Newton who span and fired home from 8 yards. (1-2, 57 mins)
Durrell forced a save from Spiess with a low shot from the left of the box on the hour and took the resulting corner which was headed away.
Newton looked for his second of the afternoon on 64 with a shot from 25 yards that Spiess caught in mid air. Belshaw plucked the ball off the feet of Tomassen who was shielding it from Robbins on 69 and Spiess was happy to collect the low shot from Dyer on 73.
A deep freekick saw Dyer launch himself to connect with a diving header at the far post on 76, but it went just wide of the left hand post.
Southwell was booked following a challenge in the middle of the Boston half, and Durrell’s ball found Taylor who fired a cross along the ground to force a corner on the right on 79, which went all the way through to Tomassen and his shot deflected our for another flagkick on the same side, and Boston regained possession.
After blatantly throwing the ball over the hoardings to waste time, Robbins was booked for a foul shortly afterwards, and Morrell introduced fresh legs for the final 5 minutes as Hubbins replaced Taylor.
Six minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and despite a lot of possession in the Boston half, and a last ditch effort from Newton which was straight at Spiess, the visitors left The lamb with all three points.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Dyer R, Deeney, Tomassen, Preston, Durrell, Green (Dyer J 36), Newton, Taylor (Hubbins 85), Strong
Subs: Smith L, Carter, Mohamed

Yellow: none
Red: none

Boston United Team:

Spiess, Mills, Burgess, Roberts, Garner, Brown, Felix, Piergianni, Southwell, Lavelle-Moore (Robbins HT), Hilliard
Subs (four only): Lims, Robinson, Payne

Yellow: Burgess 26, Southwell 77, Robbins 85
Red: none

Attendance: 889

Man of the Match: Ellis Deeney

Referee: Mr. J. Hull

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures