Search results to follow...

Bucks halt Lambs run with sodden strike

FT: AFC Telford United 1    0 Tamworth

26 March 2016On the back of the victory over Bradford the previous weekend, The Lambs went on their travels once again but a bit more locally, with New Bucks Head the destination, against 18th placed United who, with former Lambs Rob Smith at the helm and Dave Hibbert in attack, had gotten themselves out of the relegation zone by virtue of a five game unbeaten run comprising a draw and four straight wins.
Andy Morrell made no change to his starting eleven, who were looking to go eight unbeaten and maintain their play off spot, handed to them by Nuneaton’s three point deduction for fielding an ineligible player in the week.
After a minutes silence remembering those affected by the Belgian terrorist attack and Johann Cryuff, United got the game underway and went on the attack straight away, forcing the ball dangerous in and across the box.
At the other end, Montgomery was almost caught out by a long kick from Belshaw that bounced and was carried by the wind onto the top of the net.
Green’s foul on Hibbert set Dawson up with a freekick just past the centre circle on 9 but the wind took it past the last man over a crowded box.
On 11 it was Preston’s turn to concede a deadball against Hibbert and again, Dawson stepped up 40 yards from goal. The ball floated into the box and Tilt perhaps should have connected at the far post, but it went out for a goal kick.
A swirling ball into the box from the right caused problems for Montgomery on 15 and a strong run from Durrell on 16 forced a corner from his low cross on the right. His flag kick was too long though and went for a throw on the opposite side.
Both sides were finding the going tough, and there was little play on the floor. On 25 Durrell spotted an opening, but his shot only just failed to go over the top of the David Hutchinson Stand, clipping the 30 foot high roof as it went high and wide of the mark.
Preston brought down McCarthy on the right of the Lambs penalty area and Dawson lined it up once again and McCarthy met it with a back header that took the ball past the far post.
As the weather became from wet and blustery the pitch started to cut up a little, making it difficult to chase the ball around in the blowing gale.
Newton was brought down on the right wing on 33 and Durrell’s freekick was met by Strong, but his shot rose over the target.
Carter’s foul on Hibbert set up Dawson again with another freekick o the right corner of Belshaw’s box on 35 and despite a melee to get the ball away / in the net from 6 yards out, the flag had been raised to halt play.
Durrell then sent the ball into the danger area from the halfway line on 40 and it was header behind for a corner which he took himself, but Tilt cleared the danger.
Another deep freekick from Durrell on the half way line again was glanced behind by Preston at the far post as one minute added time was shown.

HT: AFC Telford United 0    0 Tamworth

Tamworth got the second half underway, attacking the Frank Naggington stand with the wind blowing slight stronger and the rain falling slight harder with each passing minute.
A Dawson freekick on 52 from the right of the half way line / centre circle was met by Tilt but went just wide of the left hand upright.
Then, in the midst of an amazingly powerful downpour which made seeing the game from the terraces difficult, Telford took the lead, causing problems in the right of the Lambs box and finishing the move with an acute diagonal finish from McCarthy from the right post inside the left hand one. (0-1, 55 mins)
The rain then miraculously stopped to a very light shower, and Morrell made two quick changes as the home side kept up the pressure with the bit between their teeth.
In a rare foray to the other end on 69, Durrell was tripped and from the deadball it deflected off Preston for a goalkick past the far post.
Inside the final 15 minutes and Tamworth were starting to find openings in the Buck’s defence but hadn’t really tested Montgomery yet.
A freekick from Durrell was nodded over the bar by Newton from close range.
On 85, a Durrell freekick from the left wing was taken at height by Montogmery and the keeper launched it long for Belshaw to gather as another move forward broke down.
Belshaw prevented Clancy from securing the points on 88 with a point blank push over the bar after Hibbert had dragged the ball into the six yard box.
Four minutes added time was shown and Montgomery denied Tomassen's 20 yard drive after the ball had re-bounded out of the box.
Preston was rightly penalised for pulling Hibbert away from the ball down the left wing, and Dawson cheekily tried to squeeze it inside the left hand upright, but Belshaw was well placed and Tamworth broke to ease the pressure.
Strong tried to snatch something right at the end of the game with a deflected shot but the final whistle blew to end the Lambs run, and continue the Bucks.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Burns, Dyer R, Deeney, Carter (Tomassen 57), Preston, Durrell, Green, Newton, Taylor (Mohamed 60), Strong
Subs: Smith L, Dyer J, Morrell

AFC Telford United Team:
Montgomery, Samuels, Campion, Dawson, Grogan, Tilt, Wynter, Reid (Clancy 83), Hibbert (Hutchinson 90+), McCarthy, Rea
Subs: Cofie, Edge, Brownhill

Attendance: 1583

Referee: Mr. P. Marsden

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures