Search results to follow...

No goals but sixth unbeaten

FT: Tamworth 0    0 Corby Town

12 March 2016

Following the midweek victory over second placed Harrogate, The Lambs welcomed bottom club Corby to The Lamb, the last side to defeat them, 6 games previously.
Andy Morrell made one change to the starting eleven from Tuesday night with Dan Preston now available again, so Louis Ezewele went back to loan club Romulus.
For the visitors, former Lambs striker Tommy Wright selected himself on the bench and former Lambs defender, now captain of the Steelmen, Duane Courtney was looking to inspire his new side to victory again.

Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Castle End in the first half. The home side went on the offensive from the start but initially found Corby a determined side at the back to breakdown.
Appleton received a talking to for a challenge on Dyer and Durrell’s freekick was met by Newton but he was unable to control the power on his header, sending it high and wide.
Newton made headway down the left channel on 18 and put the ball across the face of goal but it was too far away from Taylor to get to.
Durrell spotted a gap from distance on 21 but his shot went a few feet wide of the left hand upright.
A freekick on the right for the visitors was headed high over the target by Courtney on 23 and at the other end he denied Newton a strike on goal on 24 when Dyer headed down to feet.
McDonald pulled Durrell back on 25 and the midfielder took the freekick 25 yards out on the right of the D but it was scrambled behind for a corner.
From the flagkick, Taylor was upended and Durrell and Deeney combined to load the freekick which Dyer struck, but keeper Donkin blocked for a corner which Newton met with a header that the keeper tipped over.
Dyer threaded it through to Strong on the half hour but Donkin smothered the half chance at his feet. Durrell the put the ball across the face of goal from the right with his left boot and it floated unhindered to the far post where the Lambs couldn’t get it down to take a shot before it went out for a corner.
Taylor then ran through and was flagged off side but was clearly not so the referee waved play on but it was too late for Taylor to get his shot away before Donkin smothered the chance again. Dyer struck left footed from the edge of the area on 38 but cleared the cross bar by a few feet.
Mills struck the far post with a powerful header at the far post on 40 from McDonald’s cross. Then Donkin denied Deeney's close range volley with a point blank save from Strong's left wing cross on 42.
Play was stopped when Courtney’s elbow connected with Newton and the striker needed quick attention to the blood pouring from his head above his left eye before returning to the field.
And in added time at the end of the first half Thomas required treatment following a blow to the head after jumping with Green on the edge of the Corby area and when play restarted the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Corby Town

Corby restarted proceedings and after a cuple of mishit shots, Cleveland Taylor forced a save from Belshaw.
Play switched quickly to the other end and Newton got a similar shot away for Donkin to gather at his near post at the Meadow Street End.
Newton made a good run down the left wing on 50 but his ball into the box was not met by anyone as there was on one making the necessary run to finish the move.
Dyer took on a beat Courtney to get the cross in from the left on 54 but Donkin as well positioned to take the ball at chest height.
Both sides continued to work the ball around from end to end without too much for either keeper to do, and with the ball generally in the Corby half and with The Lambs on the attack, the home faithful were looking for a breakthrough to ease the nerves sooner rather than later.
Newton’s right sided cross was just too high for Dyer to connect with and he landed with a bump on 64, and Belshaw struck the ball the full length of the pitch on 67 for Donkin to catch.
After a period where the Steelmen kept Tamworth pegged back and forced a corner, The Lambs made a change.
The Lambs forced a couple of corners after making a double change on 71 which Durrell took but Donkin was dominating his area.
The ball was put behind for another red corner on the left on 75 which Durrell put short and it was intercepted by Thomas who had to be stopped by Carter’s well timed challenge in Belshaw’s area.
Corby forced a flag kick of their own on 78 by the clubhouse which was taken by Belshaw who in turn released Mohamed but it came to nothing.
From a missed shot by Smith in a crowded area on 81, the play switched to the Castle End where Corby sub Evans shot high and wide from distance, failing to really trouble Belshaw.
Smith squeezed the ball through to Durrell on 85 and he looked for the return run at the far post but it was a foot or two away from a far post finish, and the frustration off the field continued.
A move out of midfield after a battle by Durrell found Dyer but his diagonal shot from the right of the box was straight at Donkin.
A minimum three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Corby booted the ball behind for a left sided corner which Dyer flicked wide of the mark.
Durrell spun and shot wide of the far post from the right of the area as the clock ticked round to 93 minutes and the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Dyer R, Deeney, Carter, Preston, Durrell, Green, Newton (Mohamed 71), Taylor (Smith L 71), Strong
Subs: Dyer J, Moulton, Wright

Yellow: none
Red: none

Corby Town Team:

Donkin, Myles, Thomas, Courtney, Appleton, Brown (Evans 80), Mills, Taylor, McDonald (Robbins 83), Milnes, Hicks
Subs: Marshall, Wright, Reay

Yellow: Brown 76
Red: none

Attendance: 616

Man of the Match: MOM: Paul Green

Referee: Mr. M. D'Aguilar

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures