Search results to follow...

Lambs show metal to Steelmen

FT: Corby Town 2    6 Tamworth

28 November 2015

The Lambs hit the FA Trophy trail at Steel Park, home of Corby Town – a side promoted into the Vanarama National North with former striker Tommy Wright now at the helm of the Steelmen and former player Duane Courtney – both of whom scored for Tamworth in the last meeting between the two, in the FA Trophy in the worst defensive record in the league Andy Morrell made two changes to the starting eleven from the 2-0 win over Gainsborough with Owain Warlow no longer at the club and Danny Racchi not featuring, Shane Clarke came back into midfield and Curtis Strong took the defensive role. With Oli Roberts recalled to Stoke City, Morrell brought Josh Heaton (previously Sampson) in from Preston North End for his second spell at the club.

With the wind whipping around the open ground, Corby kicked off the game but it took just 41 seconds for Durrell to open the scoring, with a right footed strike into the left of the goal past Burgoyne following a ball into the box from the left. (1-0, 1)
Strong struck the right hand upright on 4 with a shot from outside the area and on 6 Corby finally got the ball near Belshaw’s goal with a freekick that the keeper punched away from danger.
The home side forced a corner on 8 which Mills whipped in and Taylor struck goalward, but the Lambs defence cleared the danger.
Thomas was booked for a trip on Strong as the Lambs defender sprinted down the left wing.
On 14 Taylor crossed form the right and forced Burgoyne to push it into the side netting for a corner which Fowler floated onto the roof of the net at the second attempt when his initial ball in was headed away.
The home side put some pressure on The Lambs from then on but were unable to create a goalscoring chance until the ball was whipped in from the left wing and Mills finished with a 6 yard right footed side foot volley past Belshaw. (1-1, 24)
Durrell’s ball through for Taylor was intercepted and put behind for a corner on 27 and Durrell received it back before curling a cross / shot into the box that swirled in the wind before Burgoyne caught it.
Corby’s Taylor jinked the ball past Strong on 35 and fed Milnes but he couldn’t get enough on his shot to test Belshaw who made a simple low save.
On 41 The Lambs found themselves behind when Burns brought down Taylor and the same player dusted himself down to slot it home from the penalty spot. (1-2, 41)
Taylor struck the Corby woodwork on 45 with a thumping drive from distance but the ball was cleared and two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half.
A freekick by Fowler went over the wall but was smothered by Burgoyne and the half time whistle blew.

HT: Corby Town 2    1 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted proceedings with the wind blowing and rain driving down and Mills went for hat-trick on 48 from 25 yards, but Belshaw was able to smother the ball at his near post.
And on 50, McDonald got two bits of the loose ball inside the area, the second of which he lifted back to Belshaw.
Taylor shot on the turn inside the area on 54 but Burgoyne pushed it round the post with a fingertip save.
There was confusion on 57 when a foul on Durrell appeared to have resulted in a penalty awarded by the linesman but in the end a drop ball was given which Durrell nipped away and earned the referee some choice comments from the crowd.
A shot by Milnes on 65 deflected off for a corner on the right amid cries of handball and Downey shot when the ball came though to him from the flag kick was fumbled behind for another corner, which then bought another on the opposite side, and then another which was booted away from danger.
Mills struck for goal on 68 but it was a tame effort that Belshaw dealt with easily.
The Lambs made it all square on 72 through Taylor’s finish from inside the box and three minutes later Strong whipped the ball into the top right hand corner from the left of the area to regain the lead (2-2, 72 and 3-2, 75)
After a period of play that kept the home side penned back, Dyer headed home from a corner to make it 4-2 on 78 and he added another on 80 to make it 5-2.
Burns and McDonald picked up yellow cards on 86 following a doubt of handbags in Belshaw’s box after the keeper had gone down under a challenge.
Belshaw watched Mill’s drive all the way into his safe grasp on 90 and at the other end Dyer netted his hat-trick with a cool finish from Mettam’s fine through ball (6-2, 90)
In the four minutes of added time, Mills tried for his hat-trick with a right footed curler that went out past the far post before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Taylor (Mettam 82), Fowler, Tomassen, Preston, Durrell (Davies 84), Clarke, Dyer, Green, Strong
Subs: Heaton, Morrell

Yellow: Green 40, Burns 86, Fowler 89

Corby Town Team:

Burgoyne, Kennedy, O’Hanlon, Courtney, McDonald, Thomas, Mills, Taylor (c.) (Revan 76), Johnson (Ball 73), Milnes (Miles 73), Downey
Subs: Donkin, Wright

Yellow: Thomas 13

Attendance: 335

Referee: Mr. R. Massey-Ellis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures