Search results to follow...

Lambs take a point

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Solihull Moors

17 October 2015

After a fortnight without football The Lambs returned to action looking to get back to winning ways against the league leaders of the Vanarama National League North, Solihull Moors, under Marcus Bignot.
While former Lamb Darren Action warmed up the Moors custodian, Andy Morrell made two changes tothe starting line up from the defeat at Curzon Ashton.
New signing Danny Racchi made his debut and Leon Mettam came in for his first start of the season, replacing Ross Dyer.

After a guard of honour from Amington Boys welcomed both sides on the field, Mike Fowler accepted the player of the month award from the National League’s Colin Peake on behalf of Lee Smith. The Lambs got the game underway, attacking the Castle End and the game got off to a frantic start.
In the fourth minute Burns sent a long ball for Newton and his header was nearly met sweetly by Clarke in the box, but his shot was off and the Moors defence cleared.
GOAL! However, Tamworth kept up the pressure and Tomassen’s long throw was mis-punched by Siegrist allowing Mettam to stab it home from 6 yards out at the far post (1-0, 5 mins)
Franklin’s cross from the left on 12 was met by the head of Brown but his directed effort from 18 yards went wide of the far post. Clarke was booked for a challenge on English on the half way line on 14 and it took a few moments for the referee to calm things down before play was restarted.
Moors threatened on 16 with a corner that was whipped in and took a couple of attempts to be hooked away, amidst hopeful calls for handball against Tomassen that were waved away.
Gittings had to leave the field after clashing with Racchi on 23, and Newton landed with a bump on 25 forcing the same action to be taken. Both returned shortly after as play resumed.
On 27, Mettam caused mayhem in the box and Newton picked up the ball but fired just wide of the right hand post from the left of the box.
A corner from the next move came out to Green and his shot was blocked. Clarke was close by but couldn’t get a shot on target and the ball span out by the clubhouse.
English tumbled under pressure on 33 and called for a penalty but the referee didn’t bat an eyelid. Handball was given against Tomassen on 35 from Brown’s attempted flick through the back line to set up a freekick 20 yards out on the left of the D and Beswick struck it but it failed to trouble Belshaw.
GOAL! The Moors did get one back on 37 though when Brown turns The Lambs defence inside the box and fired into the roof of the net. (1-1, 37 mins)
Although the offside flag would have denied any goal, Belshaw pulled off a superb save to deny Brown’s strike on 43, leaping to the top left corner and pushing the ball round the post.
Gittings header in a crowded area was straight at Belshaw on 45. Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Solihull Moors

Solihull restarted proceedings with The Lambs going ‘uphill’ in the second half and on 48 Brown climbed to head towards goal but put it wide of the far post. Brown got his head to another dead ball on 55 and it went out past the same post again.
A freekick by Durrell from the left wing on 57 was hastily cleared from the near post. Mettam picked up a booking on the hour and his strike partner for the afternoon Newton tried a low shot from 25 yards on 62, but Siegrist was not troubled.
At the other end on 67 Belshaw was brave to save the ball at the feet of the incoming Solihull players in amongst a crowded box.
Mettam tried a chip over the frame of Siegrist on 69 and although the chance was probably ambitious, the movement to get there involving a number of Lambs players out of defence impressed.
Tamworth forced a corner on 70 which Tomassen headed back towards goal and the keeper tipped over the bar for another flag kick.
Newton and Mettam both had close range shots in quick succession saved by Siegrist on 71 before Mettam was replaced by Hubbins on 75.
Gittings got the ball but also upended Clarke on 81, so a freekick was awarded and Durrell scuffed his free shot.
Green made a surging run on 86 and fed Durrell who went down under a good challenge on the edge of the area, and the ball fell back to Green who struck for goal but it was easy for Siegrist to catch.
Added time came, and sub Roberts made a strong run to feed Newton but his cross was blocked and when the ball eventually found it’s way to Newton he blazed high and wide. Durrell found himself in a decent position but fired similarly off target shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Strong, Racchi (Roberts 82), Tomassen, Preston, Durrell, Clarke, Newton, Mettam (Hubbins 75), Green
Subs: Davies, Dyer, Warlow

Yellow: Clarke 14, Mettam 60
Red: none

Solihull Moors Team:

Siegrist, Nottingham, Franklin, Daly, English, Dean, Moore (Knights 82), Gittings (Walker 86), Brown, Beswick, Armson (Asante 90)
Subs: Martinez, Leslie

Yellow: none
Red: none

Attendance: 1007

Man of the Match: Pickerings Solicitors chose Steve Tomassen

Referee: Mr. M. D'Aguilar

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures