Search results to follow...

Lambs Buck the trend

FT: Tamworth 2    1 AFC Telford United

18 August 2015

On the back of a three game unbeaten start to the season Tamworth welcomed A5 ‘neighbours’ Telford to The Lamb to try and pick up a first win against The Bucks since a Midland Floodlit Cup victory in 1972.
Andy Morrell made one change to the side that had picked up a point at FCUM at the weekend with Connor Taylor coming in for Lee Smith as Elliott Durrell looked to continue his impressive start to the season with another goal in another game.

United got the game underway with The Lambs attacking the Meadow Street terrace and Durrell nearly opened the scoring on 3 with a lifted dink which he lifted just a few feet off target and into the visiting supporters.
But in the seventh minute Clarke made his shot count when a long throw from Tomassen on the left bounced invitingly in the area and although his strike wasn’t clean it was enough to force it past Montgomery in front of his own fans. (1-0)
Durrell then spun on the ball in the centre of the area but lifted his shot over the target on 9.
Clancy took a knock following an unintentional clash with Taylor around the ten minute mark and had to leave the field for treatment for sometime, requiring the attention of the St. John’s men before being substituted on 14.
Durrell’s ball into the box on 15 caused problems for the Bucks defence but no one could finish the chance before the ball was cleared.
At the other end on 20, Belshaw denied Glover’s low strike with a similarly low push away from danger and Reid’s freekick was well taken by the keeper shortly afterwards.
Burn’s right wing cross was headed away for a corner on 23 but it was headed over the target by Newton.
Dyer headed on for Newton to volley at Montgomery on 26 and the keeper took it in his chest gladly. Glover was booked for a challenge on Green on 36 and from the freekick Durrell forced Telford to clear their lines which in turn set them free at the other end but Belshaw smothered the lose ball.
Tomassen smashed a low shot from the right of the box against the left hand upright on 40 and it was cleared to safety, then Glover rose at the far post and headed the ball past the far post when it may well have been the equaliser.
Belshaw rushed to the edge of the area as three minutes added time was shown and pushed a shot from Roberts wide of the mark with Burns chasing it down and ensuring it went round the post and out for a corner.
The half ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 AFC Telford United

The Lambs restarted the match with the sky dark and the pitch under floodlights and on 47 a Telford shot was handled low by the penalty spot and Glover stepped up and fired low to Belshaw’s left to make it all square. (1-1, 47)
Bakayoko connected with the ball and forced The Lambs to defend strongly as the visitors looked to increase their lead quickly.
Tamworth found themselves penned back for the most part as the hour approached and were thankful that the visitors were not firing well when they got into the final third.
Durrell’s left sided freekick on 64 flew into the area and Preston met it with his boot, diverting it over the bar when a header may well have forced Montgomery into action.
Another ball into the box from distance caused problems when Newton tried to get on the end of it on 66 and the same player did force a save from the keeper on 68 down low towards the left hand upright.
A minute later though, Clarke restored The Lambs lead with a low drive strike from the edge of the area which Montgomery couldn’t get anywhere near. (2-1, 69)
A storming run from Curtis down the left nearly set up Dyer, despite the close attentions of the United defence. As the final ten minutes came into view, Telford forced a corner and went close from the flag kick.
Another corner came on 84 but it was cleared shortly before Dyer was replaced by Smith.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and The Lambs beat the Bucks for the first time in 43 years!

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Burns, Strong, Taylor, Tomassen, Preston, Durrell, Clarke, Dyer (Smith 85), Green (c.), Newton

Subs: Wilkins, Davies, Hubbins, Ezewele

Yellow: none

Red: none

AFC Telford United Team:

Montgomery, Reid, Rea, Clancy (Brownhills 14), Deaman, Lees, Anderson, O’Callaghan, Bakayoko, Glover, Roberts

Subs: Springthorpe, McQuilkin, Harrison, Fletcher

Yellow: Glover 36

Red: none

Attendance: 908

Man of the Match: Shane Clarke

Referee: Mr. T. Brammall

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures