Search results to follow...

Lambs go out 2-4 on penalties

FT: Southport 1    1 Tamworth

28 October 2014Traffic problems on the motorway on the way to Haig Avenue caused the kick off of the FA Cup replay to be delayed to 8pm and prolong the wait to see who would travel to Dagenham and Redbridge in the 1st Round Proper on December 08. Lambs box Andy Morrell made one change from Saturday’s starting eleven with Connor Taylor unable to start and his replacement on Saturday, Kevin Thornton, coming into the side.
Tamworth, in white and red, got the game underway kicking away from the travelling faithful in the first half. An early cross from Fitzpatrick asked questions of the Lambs defence and on 4 Hibbert made a run towards the edge of the box before unleashing a right footed shot which forced Raya-Martin into a low stop.
A foul by Green on the Sandgrounders left wing on Hattersley set up Fitzpatrick with a left footed dead ball and Collins thumping header was well save by Belshaw.
Tamworth broke to the other end and Daniels volleyed the dropping loose ball over the bar.
The game continued at a quick pace with Tamworth enjoying the majority of the possession in the opening 15 minutes but just failing to find the final ball into the area.
Belshaw prevented Austin’s driven shot from the left of the box on 17 after Southport got the better of the Lambs defence and squared the ball.
The home side were reduced to ten men on 19 when McDonald took the legs of Hibbert from under him and really gave the referee no choice but to send him for an early shower.
Belshaw dropped to his left to push a low shot from Rutherford away from danger on 26 and James floated the ball over the six yard box on 27 forcing the keeper to tip it away for a corner which was completely wasted.
Close passing around the edge of the box set up Jackson but he dragged the shot past the far post.
The on the half hour Austin was denied by Belshaw once again and from the corner Connor flashed a header over the bar by just a foot or so.
Foster received a booking on 35 and a head injury to Brodie on 38 forced the striker off the field and to change his shirt before returning on 41. Southport were forced to make a change following injury to Collins on 43 but it took a while for the referee and the bench to be sure what was happening with the player.
Jackson made a strong run out of midfield and struck into the arms of Raya Martin and 4 minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half.
In added time Brodie looked like he might have got the ball round the advancing Belshaw but the Lambs defence pushed him wide and the resulting cross was headed away by Smith.

HT: Southport 0    0 Tamworth

Southport restarted proceedings with Brodie with his head bandaged.
A foul by Hibbert saw him booked outside the Southport box on 46 while on 50 Brodie looked to have found space on the edge of the Tamworth box to get a shot away but he checked his position and saw his effort blocked and cleared.
Green burst into the box on 52 and hit a right footed shot low towards the near post but it went just the wrong side of the mark. Brodie received the ball from the right wing and gave the Sandgrounders the lead on 56 with a relatively simple finish, curling the ball into the far left of the goal from the right of the box with Belshaw flat footed and unable to do anything other than watch it go past the defenders and into the goal. (0-1, 56 mins)
With the wind beneath their sails Belshaw prevented Hattersley’s close range finish on the hour.
Green and Thornton were both booked by the referee after a move over the half way line by the home side ended with a foul on Austin.
A great shot from James on 66 brought an equally good save from Raya-Martin to keep it 0-1 to the home side.
The equaliser came via an own goal from Foster who deflected the ball into the net past Raya-Martin from Daniels' low ball from the left (1-1, 66 mins)
After a changes of personnel by both side when a back pass came back for Raya-Martin he juggled with it and nearly got caught out by the incoming Jackson as Tamworth worked to put pressure on the home defence for the final 15 minutes or so.
Trainer hit a long range shot on 82 and it looked like a deflection had carried it past Raya-Martin into the bottom right of the goal but it went past the post by a couple of feet.
Brodie ran through and lifted the ball over Belshaw’s dive on 85 then jumped the keeper and rolled on the floor looking for a penalty only to receive a yellow card for his efforts. Vidal stretched out a boot in front of goal in Paul Gascoigne fashion on 87 but just failed to connect with the ball from the right.
Smith prevented Hattersley getting his head onto a 90th minute ball into the box from the left wing and The Lambs defended the corner strongly shortly before four minutes added time was shown.
Brodies back heel set up Rutherford with a right footed shot on 92 but his shot rose over the bar with Belshaw at full stretch beneath it.
Brodie sent a shot into the arms of Belshaw in the final act of normal time and so extra time was required to settle the tie.
Tamworth started the second half kicking in the direction of the Lambs fans.
Preston picked up a booking for a push in the back of Brodie on ET4 and Morrell came on for Hibbert on ET6.
Daniels watched in agony as his shot from 20 yards rose over the target on ET8 and then Preston received his marching orders for a handball and second yellow card on ET9.
James shot into the side netting from the left of the box before one minute added time was shown at the end of the half.
The home side got the final fifteen minutes underway and Morrell backheeled for Vidal to advance into the box but his path was cut out by the Southport defence before he could get into the area and shape to shoot.
With legs tiring and less than 7 minutes on the clock a left sided corner was met by Jackson at the far post and Raya-Martin pushed it around the post for another on the right but despite one additional minute ultimately there was no way through for either side and it all came down to kicks from the penalty mark.

Two missed penalties versus four scored by Southport meant that The Lambs long journey home got that little bit longer. 

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Smith, Trainer, James, Preston, Green (c.), Thornton (Vidal 74), Clarke, Jackson, Hibbert (Morrell ET6), Daniels
Subs (6/7): Gill (GK), Adams, Taylor, Amenku
Yellow Cards: Hibbert 46, Green 61, Thornton 61, Preston ET4+ET9=red
Red Cards: Preston

Southport Team:
Raya-Martin, Collins (Mitchell 43), Foster, McDonald, Fitzpatrick, Rutherford, Connor, Kay, Austin (Joyce 75), Hattersley (Marsden ET5), Brodie
Subs (7/7): Lloyd-Weston, Brogan, Lynch, Smith
Yellow Cards: Foster 35
Red Cards: McDonald 19

Attendance: 590

Referee: Mr . R. Johnson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures