Search results to follow...

Unable to halt Pilgrims progress

FT: Boston United 2    0 Tamworth

06 April 2015

Bank Holiday Monday saw The Lambs travel to York Street to face the in-form Pilgrims on their own turf for the first time since 2007.
Andy Morrell welcomed skipper Paul Green back to the side for the first time since 07 Feb when he left the field mid-game against Barrow.

Tamworth, in white and red and white, got the game underway, attacking the clubhouse end of the York Street ground so that the 79 or so travelling Lambs fans, with the Boston Stump poking over the main stand in front/right of them, could spend the first half sucking the ball towards their end of the ground!
However, Purdie was called upon inside the third minute to clear a low shot off the line as The Pilgrims tried to set out their stall early and reinforce the justified manager of the month award that Dennis Greene had picked up before kick off.
The Lambs on the field had to be on their mettle to keep Boston at bay when they got the ball down the right and left wings in the early exchanges, but it definitely wasn’t all the home side as Tamworth pushed up in numbers and closed their opponents down quickly.
Southwell nearly beat the offside flag on 17 down the left channel and Jackson set up Hibbert in the next move with a ball into the penalty area but a combination of bobbly pitch and defenders denied him a clear shot.
A foul on Felix on the right corner of Belshaw’s box set up the home side with a deadball but Thornton intercepted and the worked freekick broke down for a goalkick.
On 26 Chris Smith tussled with Southwell off the ball and both escaped with a telling off from the referee.
There was a game of head tennis threatening the Tamworth goalmouth around the half hour mark and at the other end a penalty claim on Jackson was waved away by the referee.
Tamworth appeared to be on the attack on 35 but it broke down when Boston nipped the ball off their toes and United made headway forwards with Southwell feeding Felix but the latter’s shot went wayward.
Handball by Chris Smith on 41 set up Dixon on the left wing and his deadball went into the area but went through completely untouched and out for a goalkick.
Boston took the lead on 44 via leading marksman Southwell who picked up the ball on the left of the area and fired low into the bottom right (1-0) One minute added time was shown at the end of the half before the referee halted proceedings.

HT: Boston United 1    0 Tamworth

Boston got the game back underway and on 49 Hibbert flicked the ball for Jackson to run onto but it was kicked away from his toes before he could shape to shoot in the left of the box.
A deflected shot from Purdie on 59 gave Thornton the chance to fire the ball in from the corner on the right but the move from his left footed flag kick came to nothing.
After Mettam replaced Hibbert on the hour, another Thornton corner on the same side as the previous one went far too long and out for a throw which then resulted in a freekick against The Lambs.
A good break by Boston was Southwell get some headway on James on 64 and he forced a corner which Piergianni glanced towards goal and struck the far post.
Belshaw watched a deflected cross from the right wing go just over his bar on 67 and from the corner a snap shot came in but was driven off target.
Purdie picked up a yellow for a challenge on 69 and Mettam was brought down on the left channel on 70 and elected to take the kick himself but probably will not want to see his effort back on the replay, as it was miles off target.
Garner was then booked for a boot into Clarke on 72 but Boston quickly turned defence into attack.
Thornton was booked for a handball on 76 and Boston tried to get forwards quickly again.
Morrell made a couple more changes as the final throws of the game but TV’s The Only Way Is Essex star Hall made it 2-0 to Boston on 85 with a side footed finish from 6 yards from Walker’s low cross after he had skipped past his marker on the edge of the box and squared from near the right corner of the penalty area.
Mettam picked up a booking following a tussle and melee in the Boston penalty area on 88 and Clarke was also booked when the referee got back to the half way line.
Five minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and the final whistle blew on a third consecutive defeat, third game without scoring and fifth consecutive away game without a win leaving it all to do in the last three games of the season.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Purdie, Smith D, James, Smith C, Adams (Styche 84), Green (c.) (Taylor 81), Clarke, Hibbert (Mettam 60), Jackson, Thornton

Subs: Trainer, Sampson

Yellow Cards: Purdie 69, Thornton 76, Mettam 88, Clarke 89
Red Cards: none

Boston United Team:

Stryjeck, Marrs, Steer, Mills, Garner, Piergianni, Felix, Dixon (Walker 83), Southwell (Hall 83), Jones (Newsham 56), Roberts

Subs: Saebe, Price

Yellow Cards: Garner 72
Red Cards: none

Attendance: 1792

Referee: Mr. O. Yates

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures