Search results to follow...

Trinity disrupt Lambs to take points

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Gainsborough Trinity

04 April 2015

With memories of the 6-0 reversal at Chorley the previous weekend fresh in everyone’s minds, all those concerned came to The Lamb hoping that it would prove to be just a blip in the quest to finish the season in the play off positions.

The Easter bank holiday weekend started with the visit of Gainsborough Trinity ahead of a massive ‘six pointer’ against Boston United. Andy Morrell made four changes to the side that lined up at Victory park, with Rob Purdie taking to the field for the first time since 18 October.

Tamworth got the game underway and attacked the Castle End in the first half with a sense of purpose that looked like it may bear some early fruit, but in the 8th minute a left sided Gainsborough corner was flicked on and fell for Quinn at the back of the box who side footed home into the bottom left corner. (0-1, 8 mins)
Another shot made it’s away through the Tamworth back line on 14 and Belshaw dived full length but was untroubled by the strike from the left.
Styche made a good run into the box from the right wing on 18 and Thornton tried to do similar on 19 but Trinity’s defence.
Hamilton broke through the Lambs back four on 22 but lifted his shot from the right of the box high over the target. Brogan let rip from distance on the half hour and Belshaw smothered it acrobatically.
The first yellow card of the game came on 33 when goalscorer Quinn ‘took out’ Styche on the half way line with what looked like a leading elbow.
Jackson spotted an opening with his back to goal on 38 but lifted the ball over the target with his overhead effort.
The first half ended with The Lambs pushing forwards but they were unable to get a breakthrough and so when Gainsborough countered it was left to Belshaw to deny Hamilton and then, when the ball ran free, Brogan.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Gainsborough Trinity

Gainsborough restarted the game and when Tamworth got an opportunity on 52 Dave Hibbert was well placed to shoot but the speed of the ball beat him and although it looked like a covering defender had sent it out for a corner but the referee, not for the first time when confronted with protesting players, thought otherwise.
Dom Smith made a telling tackle to get the ball away from under the nose of Hamilton on the hour as the disjointed and frustrating afternoon continued.
Morrell made a triple change on 70 but it was the Trinity sub Davis that had the first piece of action when his shot from the right of the box got no further that the Lambs defensive blocks.
On 79 James was booked for a challenge on Davis who also saw his name go in the book for his reaction.
There was another booking on 82 when Binns challenge caused play to be pulled back when no advantage was forthcoming. The freekick from James caused problems in the box but a knock to keeper Watson stopped play for a while.
James left wing curling ball into the box on 85 teased everyone in the ground with the sense that a flung out boot might finish it off and test Watson, but it whipped past everyone in the area.
Mettam was booked for putting the ball into the back of the net with his hand on 87 and James fired a freekick into the arms of Watson as six minutes added time was shown.
Amidst pushing a shoving in the box a corner was forthcoming and Belshaw came up for it, and headed it towards goal but it went a whisker wide of the far post.
Gainsborough forced a late corner and reflected their match long intentions by having 6 players in their own half and none in the Lambs box for the flag kick which Tamworth hoofed away but were unable to make any headway for a last gasp equaliser before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Purdie, Smith D, James, Smith C, Adams, Styche (Mettam 69), Clarke (Wilkins 69), Jackson, Hibbert, Thornton (Taylor 70)
Subs: Sampson, Trainer

Yellow Cards: Clarke 43, James 79
Red Cards: none

Gainsborough Trinity Team:

Watson, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Quinn, Picton, Brogan (Davis 70), Byrne, Forrest (Davie 78), Hamilton, Yates
Subs: Stamp, Wisdom-Lockwood, Emery

Yellow Cards: Quinn 33, Byrne 39, Davis 79, Binns 82
Red Cards: none

Attendance: 1032

Man of the Match: The San Giovianni MOM was Jon Adams

Referee: Mr. R. Massey-Ellis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures