Search results to follow...

Seagulls fly in the face of form

FT: Colwyn Bay 2    0 Tamworth

14 March 2015

The Lambs made the longish journey to the North Wales coast to take on 21st placed Colwyn Bay at Llanellian Road for the first since their only previous ‘away’ meeting in the FA Trophy in November 2000.
Andy Morrell, despite having given some game time to all of the named substitutes in the midweek friendly against Hinckley, made no changes to the side that defeated Bradford Park Avenue the previous Saturday.
One player that was available for selection the game but did not feature was Brendon Daniels who was hit with a further four match suspension for his actions at North Ferriby having just complete the regulation two game ban following his red card.

The Lambs got the game under way against The Seagulls, attacking the clubhouse end of the game in the first half. the first chance of the game came on 6 when Wilkins received the ball on the edge of the box and planted it towards the top right corner, but keeper Sanna jumped to his left and parried it over the bar to safety for a corner which Thornton took but which was eventually cleared.
Thornton made headway into the box but the ball was dug out of the area by the home defence on 13 and then TJ forced a corner with a deflected effort which was met by Mettam, but not with enough purchase to trouble Sanna.
A foul on the right side by the flag set up Thornton but Sampson was unable to get a clean header away and the referee halted play when Styche and Wilson tussled.
A strong run by Holsgrove was halted by Clarke on 19 midway into the Lambs half so Ellison set up the freekick to fire a left footed deadball into the box and Hopley was inches away from meeting it with his head.
On 23 Belshaw tipped over a driver from Holsgrove but not corner was awarded and then with Bay still in possession Ellison fired for the far corner but Clarke stuck his foot out to divert it away.
Vidal was upended by Ellison on the right wing on 31 and picked up the first booking of the match but Thornton’s freekick was headed away.
Ellison got into a good position in the box on 34 and saw his shot deflected over the bar for a left sided corner which was easily cleared.
Mettam had his legs taken from under him on 36 and his freekick around the wall was headed away almost blindly by the Seagulls defence.
On 40, James got two bites of the cherry after good work from Thornton own the left but couldn’t force the ball past Sanna as the keeper smothered his second attempt from 12 yards.
Jackson whipped the ball into the box and although the referee initially awarded a corner for a save from Sanna, the offside flag had been raised for a touch from a Styche before the keeper’s diverting touch away.
Clarke managed to get his head on to a Thornton mall into the box on 45 but he couldn’t get any direction on it and after two minutes added time the half time whistle blew.

HT: Colwyn Bay 0    0 Tamworth

After making a change at half time, Colwyn restarted proceedings and almost immediately won a freekick which was sent deep into the box and despite the best efforts of Belshaw and Sampson at the far post the ball came off Hopley and rebounded into the net. (0-1, 46 mins)
On 50, Ellison forced Belshaw to push the ball over the bar from a freekick, after Vidal had clattered with a Bay midfielder 30 yards out.
Thornton tried a speculative 25 yard grass cutting curler into the bottom left on 54 but it didn’t have enough bend on it to bother Sanna.
On 59, Anoruo took a knock when a chip into the box by the home side saw Belshaw have to be brave to push the ball away from danger and the break in play allowed Bay to make their second change of the game.
When play restarted Tamworth pushed forwards but the home defence were having none of it.
A Lambs corner caused problems in the Bay defence but Sampson’s two attempts to strike low from 18 yards were thwarted and the home side broke.
A speculative strike from Ellison was bread and butter for Belshaw on 65 and five minutes later Morrell made two changes with Hibbert and Taylor coming on for Styche and Mettam.
At the other end Seagulls captain Williams looked to have hit a sweet shot towards the goal on 75 but Sampson got in the way and it ballooned out for a corner which was headed wide of the mark by Royle.
Hibbert was perfectly positioned to get a close range low shot away on 7 but found the Bay defence in his way in numbers and the ball rebounded away and out of the box and was cleared.
Thornton struck left footed from the left hand side on 79 straight into the arms of Sanna. A right sided Colwyn Bay corner came on 81 which Belshaw punched clear and on 85 Anoruo fired into the box and when the ball came back in from the left Hopley celebrated his 250th game for Bay with a close range header to double the lead. (0-2, 85 mins)
Jackson saw his 6 yards shot cleared off the line by Danny Taylor on 86 and the game ended after four minute added time with Ellison almost making it three for the home side but his shot from 25 yards came back off the post and was cleared shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Vidal, Sampson, James, Smith D, Wilkins, Jackson (Taylor 80), Clarke, Mettam (Taylor 69), Styche (Hibbert 70), Thornton

Subs: Smith C, Adams, Trainer

Yellow Cards: none

Red Cards: none

Colwyn Bay Team:

Sanna, Baynes (Taylor 58), Lea, Wilson, Royle, Holsgrove, Anoruo, Buckley (Noone HT), Hopley, Williams, Ellison

Subs: Haywood, Saiel, Moss

Yellow Cards: Ellison 31

Red Cards: none

Attendance: 0

Referee: Mr P. Graham

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures